News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

07/13 - Randall's Island - New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion

Started by mehead, July 13, 2014, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 14, 2014, 08:16:10 AM
I like Velvet Sea.

Great sounding m/s fob of this up on entree already.
Listening to it now.

Show sounds great.
actually, I do too.
and Bouncin'

Sing Monica - maybe not

just spoofing on hater's comments after what looks like to be the jam of the summer (so far)
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

emay

another great second set cant wait to dig in to this one

sophist

I hopped right to set II

Chalkdust

chordal breakdown in the first refrain?  Interesting.  I actually didn't expect that.  Unless I missed it on the other version (Philly II), it's a variation from the norm (I'll have to listen back). 

~3:50 start of the jam. 

Kinda whale-y.  It sounds fine though.  Very quick phrasing by Trey.  He's really leaning on the melody. 

~5:20 pretty seamless modulation into major key territory.  Kinda reminds me of the Atlanta 2012 and Dicks 2012 versions.  Uptempo major bliss style of jamming.  Trey loves that octave with the major third riff.  He has been hitting it a lot this tour. 

~6:53 very quick to switch from lead to chordal jamming.  More octave work.  Been a big theme for trey this tour. 

~7:28 back to lead.  Very melodic idea.  I feel like it is missing something though (perhaps melodic resolution?).  It's very Allman Bros to me.

~  8:30 back to chordal jamming.  This is along the same style of the tour.  I > IV.  It's pretty.  Very chill. 

~9:47 Trey loses me with the "out of the box" playing.  The trio reacts well to it though.  It's a quick recovery to make it work. 

~10:41 Did we just get Oxy'd?  This sounds pretty 2.0-ish.  Whatever that riff was, it made my asshole quiver (in a good way). 

~11:30 more playing with Octaves. 

Alrighty.  I think we may be en route to somewhere. 

Very quick jumps between major and minor. 

~12:35 back into I > IV.  Pretty Allmans Esque again.  It's a nice variation on the style of jamming this tour. 

~13:30 kinda sounds Kimock esque with the melody.  Interesting use of intervals with the I > IV sequence

~14:40 woo's on the way?  This is pretty Tahoe Tweezer-y. 

~15:53 back into minor?  Getting a little dark.  This is pretty playful. 

~16:27.  This is getting weird.  Something is developing.  Very cool ideas by Page.  Trey is getting out there with his chordal phrasing

~17:26 hanging onto this idea for a minute.  That's a good thing imo. 

~18:05 getting more weird and dark.  This is unexpected. 

~18:30 god damn it Trey.  Back into major.  I think that's a waste.  This could have really gotten out there, he jumped the shark on tying this back into CDT. 

~19:41 kinda woo-y again.  Some play back and forth with the two themes of this jam. 

~20:21 seems kinda disjointed at this point.  Like the trio is fighting Trey to take this back out further. 

~20:41 Trey complies

~21:28 kinda fading in terms of steam.  The ambiance of 3.0 is looming. 

~22:00 Page making a valiant effort to keep this going and keep it interesting

~22:20 Whale shrieks

~23:15 we've entered the 3.0 fade out section of the jam.  Some cool "noise" being made. 

~24:30 interesting little "side" theme being played. 

~26:20 more octave play.  still kinda playing on that interval.  You can hear Trey setting up the Light segue. 

----> Light

more to come. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

---> Light

The outside the box playing by Trey just annoys the fuck out of me.  It's too slow and draws too much tension.  If it was a quicker run of atonal notes it would be perfect, but it's too drawn out over too many measures for my personal taste. 

This quickly hits the same territory and style of the Chalkdust.  Nice little I > IV section before breaking down into more "outside the box" tension. 

More Allmans style jamming in this.  This is a very melodic version of Light.  Kinda Atypical imo. 

I think from being so similar they kinda lose themselves in where to go in this version.  It just meanders in the same space, without ever really evolving.  It sounds fine.  They aren't doing anything wrong, at the same time, it's pretty obvious they aren't challenging themselves here to really push this to places it could go.  We get a rush to finally hit a major key peak.  It's well done.  Trey's hitting the right notes for the I > IV peak.  It's recycled riffage though.  Which again, I take issue with a lack of creativity in his playing. 

weird little drop into Tweezer. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

rowjimmy

I'd call the first set quite solid.
Listening as I'm working this morning, I'm enjoying the m/s recording.
Sand was good while not overly extended. Good song selection throughout the set, including a lovely Water In the Sky (in honor of the impending rain that caused the show to start early but didn't appear until after the gig), a standard BOAF, Maze & Possum > Jim pairing. Reba was nice without drifting too far from shore. No, not akin to the groundbreaking '94 stuff that PG pouted out in the 7/12 thread but nice for 2014. Melt rips, gets a little weird and leaves you wanting a second set.

sophist

The effects are out in this Tweezer. 

~5:36 I can't decide if this is neo-psychedelia or dying animals.  I'm pretty torn on how this makes me feel too. 

~6:35 nice little section of playing with the rhythm and tempo.  Out the woodwork with the hey-hole exercise.  I would like to have seen that stretched out more. 

~7:45 kinda neo-funk.  Quick push by Page to ambient sounding section.  Trey hitting the octaves again.  Modulation to major key territory

~9:15 out of "ambiance"  perhaps a push to peak?  There is motion. 

This gets to a pretty melodic place.  Kinda "soaring" feel to it. 

I'd say it's well played.  The drop back into Tweezer is well done. 

rowjimmy

emay

sophist

Slave is pretty sloppy imo. 

Eh.  I think this is pretty much the same as any "epic" 3.0 show.  The highs negate the not worth mentioning, and the slop factor in certain areas.  It's a good set (for 3.0).  I think the Chalkdust jam is good, but like I posted after that, it is as if they run out of places to go, and the rest of the set never really picks up the same level of momentum to really turn the corner. 

I think the thing worth most discussing is the brief spurts in Chalkdust where they do hit new space with the music, and the slight variety in having one section sound 2.0-ish makes it notable in my opinion. 

rowjimmy

All in all, I really enjoyed the Chalk Dust > Tweezer segment and the Wading caps it beautifully. I would love to have been on that field.

mistercharlie

Wow, that second set was the real deal phishness! I couldn't really tell if that was a MLB jam or a Dear Prudence Jam. Either way it was sweet. 

I can't remember the last time I actively listened to an entire set of 3.0 in a single sitting. It also helps that I happen to like both Wading and Monica, two fluff songs I would be happy with.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

blatboom

emay

hahaha

PTs been buzzing about that fight that lope greg started like 1rst or 2nd night of philly

emay

second set is great

hate is strong for this melt though.

Undermind

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 14, 2014, 02:31:59 PM
second set is great

hate is strong for this melt though.

wow really... Not a big 3.0 melt fan, but this one seems to be a different beast to me.  dunno
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog