News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/25 - PNC Music Pavilion - Charlotte, NC - Post-Show Discussion

Started by mehead, July 25, 2014, 11:01:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augustus

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 26, 2014, 02:15:45 PM
Quote from: McGrupp on July 26, 2014, 01:34:42 PM
Had fun. Hated the show.

Ramz and I dipped sometime after Twist

You dudes Aug'd that shit? Hetty!!!!

I would have left during Mike's.

mbw

Quote from: JPhishman on July 26, 2014, 02:58:18 PM
Had fun. Hated the show.

Plunking down hard earned dough to see the phish and missing Reba cuz you left early is akin to taking an upper decker in your own toilet.

Leave them alone, they had mail order drugs to do.

VDB

Agree with the commentary from PG and bvaz.

Raged it with a 13-person crew and we all appreciated the experience. Fine times were had.
Is this still Wombat?

sophist

Quote from: PG on July 26, 2014, 01:44:21 PM
Quote from: Marmar on July 26, 2014, 12:30:53 PM
It really makes ya wonder doesn't it?

How in the hell can they STILL be so sloppy THIS far into a tour.......I mean seriously.....even the worst lower level bands seem to play with more consistency than this. It's almost as if Trey's worst fears have come true.....

2014 = THE YEAR OF THE NOSTALGIA ACT

I haven't heard a lick of this show yet... but I can't abide this charge of Nostalgia act. Even if I just take the special Wedge as an obvious example, this band is trying new things and touring on a entire new and vital album.

Nostalgia acts MAY have a new album out when they go on tour, but they will bury one or two tracks from it early in the show - usually with some sort of apologetic "bear with us while we play a couple of new songs." This is generally met with groans and a bee-line to the beer stand.

When Phish starts up Fuego, the crowd goes nuts. This is a band still charting new territory and being creative. Will they have off nights? Sure. Sounds like last night may have been one of them. I don't know. But an off-night does not a nostalgia act make.
The new songs got zero reaction last night.  I'm talking complete silence.  You can hear this on the SBD. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

sophist

Had fun. Hated the show.

Plunking down hard earned dough to see the phish and missing Reba cuz you left early is akin to taking an upper decker in your own toilet.
If they ever played Reba correctly, you would be right.  Last night was another anti-climatic version. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

mehead

Quote from: mehead on July 26, 2014, 12:17:30 PM
First listen thru first set. Zero energy IMO.  Too bad after a Mike's opener.  Thought Tube was straight forward.  Bowie was Bowie.  Broken Heart and Golgi were rough to say the least.

Listened to set 2 this afternoon.  Awful.  Couldn't care less about the segue from Twist into Circus.  I seriously lol at the Piper > Rift.  This after having 4 days off too. Wow. This should easily hold as worst show of tour when it's all said and done.  If it doesn't, oh boy. 
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

runawayjimbo

Quote from: sophist on July 26, 2014, 06:53:58 PM
Quote from: PG on July 26, 2014, 01:44:21 PM
It really makes ya wonder doesn't it?

How in the hell can they STILL be so sloppy THIS far into a tour.......I mean seriously.....even the worst lower level bands seem to play with more consistency than this. It's almost as if Trey's worst fears have come true.....

I haven't heard a lick of this show yet... but I can't abide this charge of Nostalgia act. Even if I just take the special Wedge as an obvious example, this band is trying new things and touring on a entire new and vital album.

Nostalgia acts MAY have a new album out when they go on tour, but they will bury one or two tracks from it early in the show - usually with some sort of apologetic "bear with us while we play a couple of new songs." This is generally met with groans and a bee-line to the beer stand.

When Phish starts up Fuego, the crowd goes nuts. This is a band still charting new territory and being creative. Will they have off nights? Sure. Sounds like last night may have been one of them. I don't know. But an off-night does not a nostalgia act make.
The new songs got zero reaction last night.  I'm talking complete silence.  You can hear this on the SBD.

I mentioned in LST that I'm pretty sure I heard an "Awww, come on" over the shitty stream when they started up Winterqueen.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Lifeboy

Quote from: sophist on July 26, 2014, 06:55:44 PM
Had fun. Hated the show.

If they ever played Reba correctly, you would be right.  Last night was another anti-climatic version.

Seems to be an on-going theme for 3.0 Rebas (and Bowies, I might add)

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 26, 2014, 02:25:37 PM

If anything, 2014 seems like the farthest they've been from a nostalgia act since '09, IMO.

Tons of new material, jammed out Fuegos, they dropped a lot of the predictable set 2 cover jams (C&P, R&R etc.), jamming a couple older songs in new ways.  I'd say they seem more excited and revitalized by the new material than ever in 3.0. Trey's always going to have good nights and bad nights. I don't think he sounds particularly better or worse than the last few years. Bout the same, IMO.

I would have to agree with this for the most part. I was totally down-and-out with this band until last fall. They seem to have found a new wave of energy.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

susep

McGrupp

Had fun. Hated the show.

I don't know what else to say other than I was just kinda over the show by that point. Crowd was not engaged, neither was I.

Plus we heard the rest of the show clearly from the lot.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?