News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Mac > DAC > Amp, USB or RCA for long cable run?

Started by mattstick, January 26, 2021, 12:33:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

I bought a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 100 to run high res audio off my Mac Mini to my living room setup.

My work station is about 12-15 feet from my living room stereo - should I place the DAC at the work station and run RCA analog audio cables to my amp/receiver?

Or do I keep the DAC at the home stereo and run a long USB from the Mac Mini to the DAC?

Is there a max. length for USB cable runs?

Any thoughts?

PIE-GUY

from google:

QuoteThe USB 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (full-speed or hi-speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches).
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

I highly doubt you would hear any difference between the two configurations.

But, if you want someone to tell you that will, you know where to look. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

As an aside: how do you like that Cambridge Audio DAC Matt?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

jam>

I'd go with a long semi-nice 15 or 25ft RCA cable from Monoprice.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346

mattstick

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 26, 2021, 02:11:49 PM
from google:

QuoteThe USB 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (full-speed or hi-speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches).

What is this google you speak of?

Quote from: Hicks on January 26, 2021, 02:16:01 PM
I highly doubt you would hear any difference between the two configurations.

But, if you want someone to tell you that will, you know where to look. 

I didn?t want to be shamed for buying a DAC that only costs $300, so I came here for advice...

Quote from: Superfreakie on January 26, 2021, 02:18:42 PM
As an aside: how do you like that Cambridge Audio DAC Matt?

I ordered it from Crutchfiled yesterday, hoping it arrives this week...

Quote from: jam> on January 26, 2021, 02:42:20 PM
I'd go with a long semi-nice 15 or 25ft RCA cable from Monoprice.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5346

I grabbed a twisted pair shielded 20? RCA off Amazon for about $25. Figure I?m good.

The only USB-c to USB-B 2.0 cables I could find were for printers, I?m guessing that?s not too big of a deal.

kellerb

Quote from: mattstick on January 26, 2021, 02:56:24 PM
I grabbed a twisted pair shielded 20? RCA off Amazon for about $25. Figure I?m good.

The only USB-c to USB-B 2.0 cables I could find were for printers, I?m guessing that?s not too big of a deal.
well, when the cables run out of treble, they don't play at all.  And you won't believe how overpriced the refills are.  That's how they get you

PIE-GUY

Quote from: kellerb on January 26, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

well, when the cables run out of treble, they don't play at all.  And you won't believe how overpriced the refills are.  That's how they get you

classic KB!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 26, 2021, 03:41:47 PM
Quote from: kellerb on January 26, 2021, 03:35:01 PM

classic KB!!

Indeed.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

mattstick

DAC finally arrived, and it sounds great. Still running my 1979 Marantz but I?ve been streaming High Rez from Tidal and a bunch of 24/96 FLAC file sets. Super happy.