News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

stereo receiver help

Started by sls.stormyrider, August 23, 2014, 10:07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mattstick on April 25, 2015, 07:32:49 PM
Here's how things look at my house...

That's actually a big help.
So you prefer the bookshelf speaks over the towers?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mattstick

Got towers in the next room wired to the same amp. Mostly use those if people are over for dinner or whatever.

Hicks hooked me up with these Aperion bookshelves and I love 'em.

Buffalo Budd

I have a pretty large area that I am trying to fill so the towers may suit my purposes a little better.
I'll add some decent bookshelves later on down the road.
I think I'll still grab a decent pre-amp for my turntable, which should make a big diff.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Different EQ for different records is not as crazy as it may sound. Despite the existence of the Standard RIAA eq curve since '55 or so, it seems that different mastering houses played a little loose with the standard.
Even if your collection doesn't go very deep you may have some that would benefit from some different curves.

A little bit about the varying' EQ curves can be found here (on a page designed to sell a Graham-Slee phono-stage): http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/78rpm-riaa-equalization.htm
And a detailed chart that makes the bold assumption that all labels got on board with the RIAA standard on or about '55: http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html

I was speaking with someone last week who had demo'd the first unit below and found that even post '55 LPs from Columbia, EMI & Deutsche Grammaphone all benefited from alternative EQ curves. This applied even to 70's Columbia records that were tested.

Of course that all comes at a cost:
http://www.zandenaudio.com/product/m120.php

http://www.masterdigital.com/24bit/vadlydmd12.htm

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iphono/

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/revelation-phonostagepreamp.htm

Buffalo Budd

My dad was a serious audiofile guy back in the late 70s/80s and he always swore by his EQ.
But I find more and more people dismiss them these days. I find it has really improved my current setup but that could be due to the poor speakers and amp. I think if I pick stuff up piece by piece over the next year or so, I should be able to assemble a good rig. Started with the towers, next will probably be a phono pre-amp, then a new table.
Really appreciated all the input here.

rowjimmy

My post can really be disregarded unless you are putting together a serious high-end rig (in which case you really want this one: http://www.fmacoustics.com/products/phono-linearizers/fm-223/ ) or if you play 78s.
I think most listeners probably won't hear the variations in the post-50s lps.

Your plan of new speaks and and phono stage will get you well on your way, I suspect.

Buffalo Budd

So my wife informed me of some speakers that she had picked up in 94/95 when she worked at the local high end audio shop in town. She had some Paradigm 7SE speakers that were just collecting dust. I hooked those up to my Technics receiver and they sound mint. So I am back to where I started (full circle) to thinking I should upgrade my table as my Technics tables are hurting. My SL-220 has an issue with the left output and my SL-B2 has an issue with arm not raising high enough. It's fine for perfect records but anything with a warp rubs when I pull the arm across. Still keeping my eye out for some sweet bookshelf speakers to round out my system.

Buffalo Budd

So my vintage Sony receiver has bit the dust and my wife has given the green light to splurge on a serious upgrade for an amp.
I am currently looking at the Yamaha A-S501 but wanted to check in with you phono audiophiles as this will be primarily used for listening to my record collection. Is there anything I should be looking for to optimize my sound in a medium to large room under $1,000?

ph92

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 08, 2021, 09:29:32 AM
So my vintage Sony receiver has bit the dust and my wife has given the green light to splurge on a serious upgrade for an amp.
I am currently looking at the Yamaha A-S501 but wanted to check in with you phono audiophiles as this will be primarily used for listening to my record collection. Is there anything I should be looking for to optimize my sound in a medium to large room under $1,000?
I actually have the previous model of that receiver, the A-S500. I love it, for the money, it's excellent. I don't have a record player, though, so I can't chime in there. But it effortlessly drives my bi-wired Polk RT35i. Sounds very crisp and has good detail. My setup lacks a little on the low end, but I think that's my speakers. They need a tune-up and maybe new caps on the crossover boards to bring them back to life. 

My room is smaller, but I have had this same setup in a bigger room in the past and it sounded great. In my room currently, I hardly ever have the dial past 40-50%, and again that's with bi-wired speakers, which have higher impedance.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Caravan2001

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 08, 2021, 09:29:32 AM

Hmmm...That's a decent budget.  Few ways to go. I think first thing you need to determine is whether or not there is a chance you will ever want capability to run video through it.  As well, figure out if you want capability to stream through your phone/device (Spotify, whatever).  Honestly, I think you can something great for half that, and I would sink the rest of the budget into pre-amp, or cartridge upgrade, depending on what you currently have in those areas.  If you were using a vintage Sony, I'm going to assume you don't have an outboard phono-pre?  So you will need to factor that it in as well when choosing new amp or receiver .

Buffalo Budd

Thanks for the input guys.
No, I am currently not using a phono pre but have tossed around the idea of a tube pre and then lower end 2 way amp.
I don't plan on using it for running video but bluetooth would be nice as an option.
I do love vintage gear and a guy in town has a 70s Sansui completely rebuilt so I that is making me rethink the Yamaha plan.

Hicks

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 09, 2021, 07:49:10 PM
Thanks for the input guys.
No, I am currently not using a phono pre but have tossed around the idea of a tube pre and then lower end 2 way amp.
I don't plan on using it for running video but bluetooth would be nice as an option.
I do love vintage gear and a guy in town has a 70s Sansui completely rebuilt so I that is making me rethink the Yamaha plan.

The Sansui will kick the Yamaha in the teeth in terms of sound. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Marmar

Yamaha is good for digital....not so good with pure analog sources. If you do go with the yamaha, make sure you spend good coin on a phono pre-amp. There are specific things to watch out for with a pre-amp, and if you need some deetz just lemme know. Lots of things come into play....cartridge type etc...to decide which preamp to get....although....this is a decent pre that I know a few people who have and are very satisfied with because it covers both MM and MC types:

https://bit.ly/3ezvV8x

at $129.00 is a damn good deal....

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

Buffalo Budd

I ended up getting the Sansui and it sounds good, especially for the price point.
Then I see this tube come up for sale in the city.
Yarland Tube 50W M34-IV
China made but it gets pretty decent reviews. Just wondering if it's worth the $975 price tag. I wouldn't pay a dime over $900 but even then, I wonder if it would be worth that much with what I'm running for speakers (refurbished Paradigms).
Anyone with any knowledge on these rigs?

Caravan2001

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 20, 2021, 04:16:35 PM
I ended up getting the Sansui and it sounds good, especially for the price point.
Then I see this tube come up for sale in the city.
Yarland Tube 50W M34-IV
China made but it gets pretty decent reviews. Just wondering if it's worth the $975 price tag. I wouldn't pay a dime over $900 but even then, I wonder if it would be worth that much with what I'm running for speakers (refurbished Paradigms).
Anyone with any knowledge on these rigs?

Nice on the Sansui, hope it's doing well for you.  Not sure about Yarland, not familiar, but it looks bitchin'.  But 900-975 is a price point with a lot of good options, especially if you just need power amp.