News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08-31-2014 Dick's Sporting Goods Park, Commerce City, CO - Post Show Discussion

Started by aphineday, September 01, 2014, 02:00:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antelope19

:hereitisyousentimentalbastard

Not a friend, just found it on another board and made me chuckle. Thought you guys would enjoy it as well.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

rowjimmy

Listened to a few things that I enjoyed in the first set.
Skipped ahed to Mike's Song and  :-o that's a cool version. Trey is all up on that jam.

PIE-GUY

I will say this... Trey seemed to be floundering a bit this weekend... Certainly on night 2 he was not really able to get it together during jams. But then on night 3 in set two his playing was once again inspired. That's my view, anyway.

Honestly, I'd be struggling with the altitude if I were at these shows. You saw him with the oxygen tank. I am not begrudging him having some trouble focusing for long stretches. Altitude can be a funny thing. It can make you feel high and inspire you or it can beat you down. I think we saw a bit of both from these 50 year old dudes.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Hicks

Digging this Chalkdust on the second time around, not the best of 14 by a long shot but very enjoyable. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

Struggling to find what was special about these shows..  I was not there for the 1st time and that very well may be a part of my bias, but, I don't see anything to write home about..

Simple seems to be the highlight of the weekend, and I definitely enjoyed the Mike's and Tweezer/Sand from tonight, but I'm left a little underwhelmed as a whole..

I keep finding myself going back to wondering what Phish's purpose is nowadays.. What are they trying to achieve at a show? Why are they touring?  Imo, it always comes back to purpose, and generally, I'm disappointed by the answers I come up with..
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

sophist

I'm surprised by the love for this one.  From the opening notes of the Curtain through the last notes of the night, it's incredibly sloppy.  That Curtain was severely butchered. 

I didn't really find anything original in the jamming either.  They're still riding the Tahoe Tweezer and Randall's Chalkdust for every penny they are worth. 

I find myself agreeing with GBL.  This weekend was a gigantic meh to me.  I think the last "good" show of the tour was MPP II, after that they pretty much perpetually shit the bed from Portsmouth to Dicks
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

VA $l!m

Quote from: GBL on September 01, 2014, 02:22:28 PM
Struggling to find what was special about these shows..  I was not there for the 1st time and that very well may be a part of my bias, but, I don't see anything to write home about..

Simple seems to be the highlight of the weekend, and I definitely enjoyed the Mike's and Tweezer/Sand from tonight, but I'm left a little underwhelmed as a whole..

I keep finding myself going back to wondering what Phish's purpose is nowadays.. What are they trying to achieve at a show? Why are they touring?  Imo, it always comes back to purpose, and generally, I'm disappointed by the answers I come up with..

heh, funny you bring that up. i actually had a short conversation with my mom about that today,  :laugh:

looks like a pretty cool 2nd set tho & i think it would have been sorta cool to see these shows if not just for the fact wasnt this the first time phish ever played a show in America where pot was legal? :smoke:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

jasonsobel

Quote from: VA $l!m on September 01, 2014, 05:48:14 PM
looks like a pretty cool 2nd set tho & i think it would have been sorta cool to see these shows if not just for the fact wasnt this the first time phish ever played a show in America where pot was legal? :smoke:

it all depends of what you count as "legal".  In November 2008, Massachusetts voters decriminalized possession of less than an ounce, and the law went into effect Jan 2009.  While technically still a civil offense, possession is no longer a criminal offense.  At the Fenway show on May 2009, people were openly smoking on Lansdowne Street and Yawkey Way, in front of cops, and no one cared.
sing me back home before I die

aphineday

Okay, this has to be posted. I thought about posting it elsewhere, but nothing involved is illegal in the state of Colorado, so I'll leave it here (I also got his permission first).
I will omit his name, but for those of you who have hung with me at shows, you know the friend I'm talking about.
We made plans to hit the Denver run, and I ended up super sick, and bailing (which sucks, but I really didn't have much choice)
Anyway, my buddy goes on without me, and I stay in touch via text and facetime, trying to live vicariously through him.
He hit up a dispensary on his first day out there, and picked up various things including a bottle of Sasparilla. The dude at the dispensary tells him to drink about one medicine cup full, and see how it goes. He did this on the first night, and got pretty out there, but didn't feel out of control. Last night, he kills the rest of the bottle, has a few beers, and burns some of each of the strands he picks up. His texts get increasingly stoney, but I figure it's about par for the course, I know him well. About 2 songs in to the second set, he got really quiet, and all I heard from him for most of the set was "I am ungodly high". "Holy fuck I'm wasted", and "WITH, dude". I texted him a few more times through the night, and tried calling, but didn't hear anything. He called me this morning, and proceeded to tell me what happened. He ended up so out of his mind that either security, or some type of concert personnel pull him aside and ask him if he's okay. He says that he is fine, but apparently they didn't buy it, and pull him into the medical room, and start asking him what he took, who he was with, etc. They had him hooked up to blood pressure machines, etc, and then made him take a fucking cab, and leave before the show was over. Totally fucking Denver'd .
Anyone that knows this dude will have no trouble believing this story, and it's fucking classic.
If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

mbw

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

aphineday

If we could see these many waves that flow through clouds and sunken caves...

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.