News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

10/27/14 Bill Graham Civic Auditorium, San Francisco, CA

Started by Bobafett, October 28, 2014, 03:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

The ocd in me wants to change those dots in the thread title to slashes  :crazy:

Superfreakie

Quote from: EdBanky on October 28, 2014, 07:06:37 PM
The ocd in me wants to change those dots in the thread title to slashes  :crazy:

I can't handle the first post.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Augustus

Where does this Tour (so far) rank with other 3.0 Tours?

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 08:34:35 PM
Quote from: Augustus on October 28, 2014, 08:31:14 PM
Where does this Tour (so far) rank with other 3.0 Tours?

Close to rock bottom.

As a whole tour?  Very rock bottom.  Worst since 09 or '10 imo....This show has a couple of high points and it started out good.  The Brian and Robert, which I love, is brutus, and probably the worst version ever.  Second set starts out OK for this tour (read: halfway passable, maybe) but WTF with this Ghost.  Are they trying to bring it to a new space by playing in the different keys?  Can they not hear each other?  It is  tough to listen to.  And the jam, while lengthy, never goes anywhere.  A real slog, sounds like Trey is trying to consciously sabotage the set.  The 2001 is actually good, but all Trey does is rely on the echoplex, there are no actual leads, it's just chords.  I like Take Me Out to the Ballgame.

On a positive note, Fishman KILLS this set, as if he is trying to make up for Trey's flailing.  Vocals are pretty laughable throughout.  Sorry to anyone that went and had fun, I'm sure it was good, but wow.  Just, wow.  Last 5 shows are gonna rock though!!!! I hope :-)

runawayjimbo

Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 08:22:56 PM

I can't handle the first post.  :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

LEAVE BOBAFETT ALONE!!!

Poor guy, thought he'd help out and throw up the PSD thread after a LST-less show. It's not his fault he fucked it up beyond all recognition.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

susep

Quote from: Caravan2001 on October 28, 2014, 08:48:08 PM
Second set starts out OK for this tour (read: halfway passable, maybe) but WTF with this Ghost.  Are they trying to bring it to a new space by playing in the different keys?  Can they not hear each other?  It is  tough to listen to.  And the jam, while lengthy, never goes anywhere.  A real slog, sounds like Trey is trying to consciously sabotage the set.

I've been bouncing around this tour, checking out tunes here and there.  based on a few reviews from here and other I listened to the Ghost hoping for something good.  meh.  near the 5:46 mark is when the jam quiets for 1 minute and 40 seconds or so but its nothing great. 
From what I've heard so far this tour blows, musically speaking. 

Last Fall was killer imo, solid jams throughout.  29Oct.13 comes to mind(Piper).  I feel the past 12 months have been a let down from last Fall.  The New Years Run was mostly meh.  This past Summer had a few nice jams, more then this Tour however it didn't seem as stellar as the previous Fall.  Now this. 

The overall trend:

Bobafett

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 28, 2014, 08:48:58 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 08:22:56 PM

LEAVE BOBAFETT ALONE!!!

Poor guy, thought he'd help out and throw up the PSD thread after a LST-less show. It's not his fault he fucked it up beyond all recognition.

Ha!  Lowering the bar round here.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

runawayjimbo

Second set starts out OK for this tour (read: halfway passable, maybe) but WTF with this Ghost.  Are they trying to bring it to a new space by playing in the different keys?  Can they not hear each other?  It is  tough to listen to.  And the jam, while lengthy, never goes anywhere.  A real slog, sounds like Trey is trying to consciously sabotage the set.

Through my drunken ears last night it sounded like they (read: Trey) fucked up the beginning and then started playing out of key on purpose in a fairly transparent attempt at "TOTES meant to do that." I feel like he's done that before to various degrees of peeps lapping it up (drawing a blank on an example though). This time, it did not go well.

I thought the end of the jam started getting to a pretty cool place before they bailed but I haven't relistened (plus the aforementioned drunkenness).
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

Caravan2001

Quote from: runawayjimbo on October 28, 2014, 09:12:47 PM

Through my drunken ears last night it sounded like they (read: Trey) fucked up the beginning and then started playing out of key on purpose in a fairly transparent attempt at "TOTES meant to do that." I feel like he's done that before to various degrees of peeps lapping it up (drawing a blank on an example though). This time, it did not go well.

I thought the end of the jam started getting to a pretty cool place before they bailed but I haven't relistened (plus the aforementioned drunkenness).

I liked the Sand,Birds and new song...the Ghost was hard to swallow.  It was unlike any other version though so....Some OK stuff during the jam, but it sounds like the rest of the band is really trying to hook up and Trey is off in his own concert....

Caravan2001

And first set is actually pretty good save for Brian and Robert.

Superfreakie

It's sad to say, but I would not be surprised if Trey checked himself into rehab at the end of tour. It is the only way I can explain some of the playing and the massive drop off in ability since this summer. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: Superfreakie on October 28, 2014, 09:32:16 PM
It's sad to say, but I would not be surprised if Trey checked himself into rehab at the end of tour. It is the only way I can explain some of the playing and the massive drop off in ability since this summer.

Well, that's certainly a rumor going around, and while I can see while you think that, I think it's nans.  I might have blinders on but I think he's just burnt.  They really are playing on another level than they have the past few tours though...

Hicks

Sounds like you guys haven't listened to much 2.0, when Big Red is off the wagon there's nary a ripcord to be heard.   

As for intentionally playing out of key, I would submit every whale jam from the past five years as Exhibit A.   
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Hicks on October 28, 2014, 10:19:37 PM
Sounds like you guys haven't listened to much 2.0, when Big Red is off the wagon there's nary a ripcord to be heard.   

I'm not talking about ripcording at all. I'm talking about not even able to play his fucking guitar. Either completely fucking lost, or playing, as Caravan said, his own concert. There are some real scary moments if you listen carefully, as I have the past few shows. This about his playing ability, not song selection or ripcord. I saw shows this summer, I caught the NYE run, did AC last year. I have come to enjoy some of 3.0 and believe that fall was a high water mark. But nothing sounds like this......nothing.

Anyway, whatever, if people can't hear it so be it. But to me it is stark. It's either that or he's having problems with his hands. This is not the same Trey from the past couple years. Sorry, not even close.