News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Grateful Dead - Fare Thee Well - July 7/3-7/5 at Soldier Field

Started by Undermind, January 16, 2015, 09:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

so many stories...

2 friends snuck in on sunday.
a buddy sat in the same row as david crosby.
another buddy got invited into the promoter's box for the 2nd set on saturday which was the skybox at the 50 yard line with an open bar.
the nitrous tanks on michigan avenue were definitely a site to see as well.

parking - first day

banners on the street

Field Museum madness

Sunday - 1st set

Friday - 1st set

Soldier Field just got brand new video boards...just in time!

anthrax

barnesy305

Man, what an amazing few days. It was great to finally meet Terry, Pie, and Voodoo. Many thanks to Terry and his lovely wife for being wonderful hosts to our dirty ass crew. It really doesn't get any better than the folks on this site, for real. Ok, songs that made me cry: Box of Rain, Jack Straw, Ripple, Standing on the Moon, Terrapin and, of course, Attics. Bought some records at Reckless, are a killer chicken parm at Pizano's and hit the Art Institute of Chicago on Sunday. I took a shit ton of pics but here's one we can all enjoy.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

sls.stormyrider

thanks for the pcis and stories, everyone.

We were way, so not only was I not in Chicago, but I couln't watcht the webcast (though tried to keep up with LST)
Thanks to modern technology, the internet, and Zman (in the sweet spot), I was able to hear the shows yesterday and today.

some thoughts, even though I know that just hearing the music doesn't begin to scratch the surface of the weekend (that party seemed like a blast):

The GD did it right. Compare this to the Allmans, who added 2 shows at the Beacon, no webcast, no DVD. People bitched about this being a $ grab, which is total BS.

Trey nailed it. I don't think anyone could have done it better, though some may have also been very good.  As others said, he paid tribute to Jerry but remained Trey. Here's hoping that he remembers what it's like to play a tune for > 20 minutes and also that he puts the same energy into his own tunes as these. (sorry, I'm a natural born cynic)

Hats off the Bruce and Jeff, who also nailed the keys. They honored Keith and Brent, to be sure.

Can't say enough about Phil. He is one of my favorite living musicians. Billy and Micky held it down, and Bobby ...

Friday night was light years ahead of SC. I had to listen to Franklin's a few times, but the whole show was strong

Saturday was well played, but, to quote a prior conversation with SF, it was a "Saturday show". Dug Golden Rd. I was psyched when Stella Blue started but Bobby's vox brought me down soon. Fortunately Trey nailed the outro solo (altough not the 1st one)

Sunday was back on track. Some of the tunes were at about 90% of tempo, but that was OK. WTF was Bobby playing in China Cat - did he have wa wa? Anyway, Throwing Stones and Cassiday (my favorite Bobby tune) were outrageous. Always love Unbroken Chain. Bobby did a nice job with Days Between, but I needed NFA and Touch of Gray after that to get my spirits back up. Then Attics...

if I was there, tears would have been shed. It wasn't easy listening at home.

One more thing - people talk about Jerry's guitar playing, and what he brought. I agree.
People don't talk enough about his vocals. Especially through the 70s, and often in the later years. The emotion. He could be singing pin drop quiet one moment, then bring it with full power (examples from this weekend - Stella Blue, Standing on the Moon - "I'd rather be with you"). An amazing presence.

Anyway, I know all of you who went will have memories for a lifetime.

Long Live the Spirit of the Grateful Dead

"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Caravan2001

Shows were so awesome.  Had the best time.  Didn;t see one person from the Paug....

Spent every night in either the pit or behind the stage.  It was remarkably easy to get back and forth to both, and as well super easy to get pit bracelets.  The first night the ushers were selling them for $20 each. Loved being in front of the speakers.  It sounded good everywhere.  Tons of room behind the stage, we had 50 people take over 254 every night and the sound and view was great there too.  Spent a set there on Saturday night.  Friday was my favorite and then Saturday.  Sunday was amazing too, but I got a call at set break that my dog was about to die (and did die an hour after I got home yesterday).  So that sucked. Katie Perry was next to us the first night and Chloe Sevigny was with our crew all three nights.  Saw Woody Harrelson leaving the show on Friday.  Barefoot.  Was great to see so many old friends too.  My wife ran into a friend on Friday night that she had not seen since Sugarbush '95.  Literally, 20 years TO THE DAY, and a guy walks by and stops her and they were both like holy shit.  Another example of GD kismet....good times.  I will miss it. Phish terr in 2 weeks.  Going to kill.

Caravan2001

Anyone have a tip as to the best audience source on etree?

VDB

The more I look at this pose by George the more hilarious it is.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

nab

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 07, 2015, 11:39:12 PM
Shows were so awesome.  Had the best time.  Didn;t see one person from the Paug....

Spent every night in either the pit or behind the stage.  It was remarkably easy to get back and forth to both, and as well super easy to get pit bracelets.  The first night the ushers were selling them for $20 each. Loved being in front of the speakers.  It sounded good everywhere.  Tons of room behind the stage, we had 50 people take over 254 every night and the sound and view was great there too.  Spent a set there on Saturday night.  Friday was my favorite and then Saturday.  Sunday was amazing too, but I got a call at set break that my dog was about to die (and did die an hour after I got home yesterday).  So that sucked. Katie Perry was next to us the first night and Chloe Sevigny was with our crew all three nights.  Saw Woody Harrelson leaving the show on Friday.  Barefoot.  Was great to see so many old friends too.  My wife ran into a friend on Friday night that she had not seen since Sugarbush '95.  Literally, 20 years TO THE DAY, and a guy walks by and stops her and they were both like holy shit.  Another example of GD kismet....good times.  I will miss it. Phish terr in 2 weeks.  Going to kill.

Sorry to hear about the pooch. 

Not that it is similar in any way but in the case of deflation of enjoying the last show.  On Sunday while taking in the show on couch tour.  I was watching the show at a buddy's place and got a call halfway through the first set from my wife.  My daughter had somehow gotten a small bell stuck in her ear and I had to make a b-line back to the homeplace to watch our youngest while she took our oldest to the ER to get it out.  Yes, it was the 8 yo who had to learn about not sticking things in her ear, not the 2 yo.   :-o

The doc was able to get it out, and now it's just a learning experience for her.

Fortunately, everything resolved in time to hear the post-drums segment.     

Caravan2001

Quote from: mbw on July 07, 2015, 11:57:32 PM
Did you tell katy perry to leave?

I didn't talk to her.  My friends did though and said she was mad cool....

sls.stormyrider

sorry to hear about your dog

I didn't do any a/b, but I like Zmans pulls. Well balanced, a little low on bass. I think Friday and Saturday were OTS, Sunday was FOB 60' from stage. There also are some sources from behind the stage - you have a better sense than I where the sound was better.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mistercharlie

Quote from: Caravan2001 on July 07, 2015, 11:39:12 PM

A buddy I work with said that he was right by Chloe Sevigny also. So you and he were pretty close by each other.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.