News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Greensky Bluegrass

Started by Undermind, March 09, 2015, 07:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundo

Don't really think I'm missing out on yet another bluegrass rendition of some GD tunes. It's probably the easiest style to cover those songs anyways. There's plenty of other catalogs out there that I would happily shit my pants over. I'll even admit that Greensky's rendition of Rift is badass.

emay

I think greensky is def taking over the yonder slot
they have good song writing and picking and throw in nice covers and some songs are like 20+ and its kinda hard to do that with a bluegrass band that isnt just trading off solos

They have been throwing eyes into their normal sets now just cuz I feel like they worked on it and want people to hear it since they got cut from the line up at the sold out dear jerry show for the biscuits and like OAR or something. Railroad Earth got cut too.

The set is pretty straight forward bluegrass minus the eyes, and I would love to hear the other one > cryptical > other one, since they do step into some psychedelic bluegrass world in some of their jams, like When Doves Cry.
Also ripple encore would just cap it off, love that song and as an encore too 

Undermind

Quote from: EdBanky on November 06, 2015, 09:59:53 AM
Don't really think I'm missing out on yet another bluegrass rendition of some GD tunes. It's probably the easiest style to cover those songs anyways. There's plenty of other catalogs out there that I would happily shit my pants over. I'll even admit that Greensky's rendition of Rift is badass.

I meant I feel bad for you in that you are not into Greensky.
Trey at Darien Music Center on 8/13/09 while paying respect to Les Paul
Quote...and hopefully we'll be playing well into our nineties and hopefully you guys will be there too

Phish Video Collection Blog

JPhishman

Last night the first set was the entire "five interstates" album and the second set was full rage. I def heard some guitar gently weeps and talking heads teases deep in the psychedelic ooze. Soooo yeah we're prob going to all 3 now. Tom Hamilton's American Babies open the next two nights and I'm super curious to see if him sitting in means a couple GD tunes.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

sls.stormyrider

If you like these guys you should also check out Cabinet and The Infamous Stringdusters
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

JPhishman

Never seen Cabinet but I love the Dusters as well. I was working hospitality at the late night tent at Northwest String Summit this summer and they played this awesome unplugged encore after we had to shut down the PA at 3:30am! They were all so psyched afterwards that the crowd was so attentive. Really cool experience and major highlight of this year's fest.

https://youtu.be/MnzxKOuuHk0?t=2m2s

emay

Love both those groups

Cabinet started in PA and came to MD pretty regularly tothe 8x10 club and I think delfest once
They are some high energy bluegrass as well, they do a nice Long Journey Home.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: JPhishman on November 06, 2015, 04:45:38 PM
Never seen Cabinet but I love the Dusters as well. I was working hospitality at the late night tent at Northwest String Summit this summer and they played this awesome unplugged encore after we had to shut down the PA at 3:30am! They were all so psyched afterwards that the crowd was so attentive. Really cool experience and major highlight of this year's fest.

https://youtu.be/MnzxKOuuHk0?t=2m2s
pretty cool, thanks
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

emay

Hoping to go by the box office and get tickets for the show tonight, friday and saturday are sold out already and I plan on having a pretty chill weekend so can only hit tonight.

Portland shows are up on archive.org and sounding really nice.

emay

phil

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 19, 2015, 12:44:08 PM
This C-ville show is good as well

https://archive.org/details/gsbg2015-09-23.gsbg2015-09-23flac16

Thanks for that, I got hammered at the show that night and my memory of the 2nd set is foggy at best.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

JPhishman

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on November 19, 2015, 12:33:12 PM
Hoping to go by the box office and get tickets for the show tonight, friday and saturday are sold out already and I plan on having a pretty chill weekend so can only hit tonight.

Portland shows are up on archive.org and sounding really nice.

Really dug the Tom Hamilton sit in on 11/7 and the midnight moonlight>after midnight sandwich to close the run.
All around killer weekend.

Got the bluegrass taken care of now it's Karl D and Snarky Puppy this weekend!

antelope19

Bump!

Caught these guys last night down here at House of Blues. Fun show. Will def see them again.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

GBL

i might go see them over here in Des Moines at the end of February, if only because it's 5 minutes from my place

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 05, 2015, 09:37:05 PMbut I'll probably bail in the end lol.

:hereyougoyousentimentalbastar
If this is love, I'm never going home..

Buffalo Budd

I caught them in 2015 and was a tad underwhelmed but they may have gotten better since then. I was expecting more fast picking and musicianship but they were kind of slow and boring for the fest set that I caught.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.