News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

CD-R terminology

Started by edison, December 27, 2005, 04:24:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edison

I'm looking to buy some blank discs and have pretty much settled on MAM-A (Mitsui) as a brand (if anyone thinks this is a mistake feel free to let me know, but it seems like this is one of the few brand names that actually means anything in regards to the product you are actually getting and is highly respected).

Anyway, I am wondering if anyone knows what "approved for color" means.  For example, one type of MAM-A disc that i am considering buying has the following description on the website:

"Silver Thermal 74 Min Approved for Color in Shrink Wrap(100)

This disc has a silver thermal top surface, and a Silver (Phthalocyanine) recording surface, with a maximum recording speed of 52x. It will work with Rimage Prism and Primera Inscripta printers. Its packaged in 100 pc shrink wrap, and in master cartons of 600 pcs. This product is not designed to work in a Rimage Everest printer. This will work with screen printing."

i thought that maybe it had something to do with printing, but the ones that aren't listed as "approved for color" seem to have the same printing compatibilities/restrictions.

I would also like to know what "thermal" means, as some of the options are not described as thermal.  here's the link to their webpage:

http://store.mam-a-store.com/silver-cd-r.html

thanks for any help.

jephrey

I can't directly answer your question but I'll throw out an opinion here.  And I know this really has nothing to do with your question, but more towards your statement that you did some thinking to settle on this disc over others.

If you're recording for audio, who cares.  You're not going to notice a bit lost (if that even happens with cheaper discs).  As for longevity, Up till about a year ago I was anal with using AZO blue verbatims, but even mixes that friends have made have held up just as long (going on 10 years now).  About a year ago, I said screw it and went cheap.  Now I put it on the iPod in apple lossless and have no need for CDs.

If you're archiving...  Well, you still use CD for archiving?  I'd say front for a dvd burner (~$40) and good 4.4G discs are about twice as much as good CDs but you can hold about 5.5 times the data!  When the DL discs come down or when newer technology arrives, You'll just be able to cram more in a smaller space for less money.

Just my thoughts,

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.