News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/22 - Les Schwab Amphitheater - Bend, OR - Post-Show Discussion

Started by mehead, July 23, 2015, 12:43:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sophist

A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing -
this gets to a nice place really quickly.  Dirty jam, almost hits that "oxy" 2.0 style with the muddled, portal warping style sound they had for some 2.0 jams

~8 minutes -> 9 minutes is a sonic wall of thickness.  Love the looping here by Trey. 

segues nicely into

Waves -
composition and vocals are good.  Jam is nice.  Very Trey lead.  Such fluidity in his playing.  This is a fantastic version imo.  space out style segue into

Wingsuit -
Good placement here.  I liked how it "melted" into this. 

pretty solid version

Farmhouse -
standard version

Simple -
pretty tight version
~7:30 pretty cool groove develops.  I like where this is headed.   ~11:45 this gets to a dark place.  I like this minor groove they develop.  Nice jam, def gets to a unique place.  I hope this sort of sound remains a theme for this tour.  So far we have seen a good amount of variety in their jamming through two shows.  It looks like the melodic I > IV jams are done with for now. 

First Tube -
kicking version. 

Gin -

solid. 

This was really a tale of two sets for me.  They sounded pretty good for this second set.  Segues were on point, and there was a diverse level of jamming happening as well.  I really liked this second set, and I actually see some play back value with it.  This gets me even more excited for next weekend. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

susep

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mehead on July 23, 2015, 12:43:21 AM
7/22/15
Les Schwab Amphitheater
Bend, OR

Set I: Stash, How Many People Are You? *, Winterqueen, Heavy Rotation*, Back On The Train, Scabbard*, Maze, Mercury*, Possum

Set II: A Song I Heard the Ocean Sing > Waves > Wingsuit, Farmhouse > Simple, First Tube

E: Bathtub Gin

Streamed most off the show last night and was let down in general. Contrary to what a lot of you are saying, Trey did not sound that good to me.  There were a few moments I saw the same fluidity he had in Chicago (especially noticeable in bluesey tunes like BOTT and Possum) but overall he sounded sub-par 3.0ish, imo.

I do think it's pretty awesome they've been playing a bunch of new tunes. Hopefully they keep 'em coming and are able to test them out the first few shows and then weed out the ones that don't work (:::cough::: heavy rotation :::cough::: )

I missed How Many People Are You? -- what was that like?
The song portion of Heavy Rotation was embarrassing. Just really awkward musically and vocally. Jam was fine.
Psyched to see them playing Scabbard (is it just me, or do a few parts of that song kinda sound like parts of TTE?) Either way, I enjoyed it.
Quote from: sophist on July 23, 2015, 10:25:05 AM
Reminds me of a slowed down version of Frank Zappa compositions
^ pretty accurate description for those composed lines.

Mercury -- Gonna have to give that another listen, my first impression was that I liked the individual sections but the flow was weird.. maybe I just felt that way cuz I'd never heard it before. I did enjoy the jam in 7...

Looking forward to the rest of the tour and hoping I didn't set my expectations for Trey too high.... because he didn't live up to them for this show.  I want some of those fluid, extended runs that I heard him play with ease in Chicago. Didn't really hear much like that last night. 

Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

I'm 100% on board for this second set.
Didn't change my life but I will revisit it.

Multibeast12

Have not heard the heavy rotation yet, but i have always been a big fan of it on that Page album. So i like that they played it, i just hope it is good.

Lifeboy

This show was a step up from the night before, but that's not saying too much.... both nights were very 'meh' to these ears.

Diggin' the new tunes for the most part, though, except for Heavy Rotation (yikes)

Really hoping they step it up a few notches....
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

Quote from: Multibeast12 on July 23, 2015, 05:30:12 PM
Have not heard the heavy rotation yet, but i have always been a big fan of it on that Page album. So i like that they played it, i just hope it is good.

Gonna insist that you follow up with us.

I too, enjoyed the album version.

susep

check out Trey's lead at 7:34/7:35 in Maze, he goes for the '94 esque ascending bend peak style that was common back in the day.  not quite as riveting however its cool to hear him at least trying to summons his old technique. 

mehead

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 23, 2015, 08:34:29 PM

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

phil

Quote from: mehead on July 23, 2015, 10:44:46 PM

Here, here

I've been waiting for this one since they started butchering page tunes a few years back
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

This second set is freaking great 3.0 Phish. I love it start to finish. I mean, looking at the setlist from the armchair without listening I'd give a huge meh... but actually listening to it I am engaged at every turn. It's nearly perfect.

Would I have been happier to hear a Tweezer, Bowie, YEM, or some other classic big tune? I don't know. I would have been happy to hear them, but I don't think this set is missing them. It's really good and stands on its own.

And they did throw out an old-school bone with the Gin encore.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

anthrax

We were right in front of mike for the 1st set.  I really enjoyed seeing all the new tunes from that perspective.  Can't wait to relisten as they all kinda jumble together in my head by now.  2nd set fit the mellow bend vibe, but it was way to mellow for me.  By the time the show picked up with simple, 1st tube, and gin...the shit was over.

Augustus

Didn't catch the hype at all with the second set.
55 min and the songs didn't seem rehearsed 
"Easy" song structure tunes with one decent jam.
Simple was pretty good, but was expecting more with all the reviews I've read.
Stoked for Phil tonight!!

Multibeast12

Wow, Terrible. Sounds like a band working through a cover song the first time, and it is not tight yet. Butchered. The intro was painful to get through.