News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/25 The Forum - Inglewood, CA - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, July 26, 2015, 10:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

I listened to the stream last night and thoroughly enjoyed it.  That Carini Jam was nice, and the segue into Tweezer was really well done. 

Many-armed YEM was sick.
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

rowjimmy

cactusfan

My Phish tour has ended. So sad. The Bend shows were nice warm-ups, with some good jamming here and there along with some rust, but Shoreline and the Forum were so much fun. I'm not sure which second set I enjoyed more as it happened, maybe Shoreline for its continual dark jamming, but the song selection at the Forum was dynamite and the band was loving it up there. And both second sets began with new songs. They're certainly playing with confidence this tour.

I'm so happy they opened with Martian Monster. More halloween songs!

Lots of playfulness in all four of these shows, with Trey and Mike wandering around the stage, playing a four-armed YEM and so forth. This clearly feels intentional, as a way to connect and bring out new ideas. I'm excited to hear how this plays out for the rest of the tour. The creativity and energy of the band feels unusually high to me, and in many ways increased every show.

Haven't listened to the tapes yet, but experientially, the Forum was a great show to attend. So glad I made it down there.

The only bummer about it is that I'll have to wait until next year to hear my Tweezer Reprise...

susep

Quote from: cactusfan on July 27, 2015, 02:15:58 AM

I'm so happy they opened with Martian Monster. More halloween songs!

agreed.  Listened to some Forum highlights on the way in, No Men reminds of the influence of playing Golden Age for the last 5 years.  Nice tune.   

rowjimmy

I'm really feeling like they have caught a wave and, if they ride it far enough, they could get to some cool new places. I'm glad this tour isn't super short but I wish it were longer, or followed by a Fall tour. Momentum doesn't carry far when they're off the road unless they jump into the studio.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on July 27, 2015, 08:19:50 AM
I'm really feeling like they have caught a wave and, if they ride it far enough, they could get to some cool new places. I'm glad this tour isn't super shirt but I wish it were longer, or followed by a Fall tour. Momentum doesn't carry far when they're off the road unless they jump into the studio.

With the slew of new songs I could definitely see a new album on the way after this 'non-super shirt tour':police:
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 27, 2015, 09:48:53 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on July 27, 2015, 08:19:50 AM
I'm really feeling like they have caught a wave and, if they ride it far enough, they could get to some cool new places. I'm glad this tour isn't super shirt but I wish it were longer, or followed by a Fall tour. Momentum doesn't carry far when they're off the road unless they jump into the studio.

With the slew of new songs I could definitely see a new album on the way after this 'non-super shirt tour':police:

Have you seen the shirts?
They are not super.

emay

Just starting this one up

Martian Monster is  a perfect opener imo followed by DWD > waiting all night and thats a wrap wow.

I like how they are finally switching it up at indoor shows and bringing some songs we might usually see in the second set, or when its dark out, to the first (dwd, ghost from the fall run)

VDB

I do love me a good type I Disease, and I'd say this one sure qualifies. Feels like a rarity these days.
Is this still Wombat?

VDB

Just finished the first set. Lots of Trey fire up in here. Fuego > Walls particularly.
Is this still Wombat?

emay

This tweezer just start getting somewhere and they transition to MFMF, its not really a ripchord which is good but wish they kept that going

VDB

Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

sophist

I found this first set to be pretty boring too.  Martian Monster > DWD was cool as an opener.  After that, they kinda lost me

I like WOTC to close a set, I just wish they took it for more of a ride. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

Quote from: sophist on July 27, 2015, 03:43:07 PM
I found this first set to be pretty boring too.  Martian Monster > DWD was cool as an opener.  After that, they kinda lost me

I like WOTC to close a set, I just wish they took it for more of a ride.

Yeah I liked up to around Axilla, but then kinda falls flat. Ya Mar was a good surprise in there. Fuego is alright. I am not a big fan of the WOTC closers.