News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

7/31 - Aaron’s Amphitheater at Lakewood - Atlanta, GA - Post-Show Discussion

Started by runawayjimbo, August 01, 2015, 12:03:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Thats one thing I think is good about 3.0, they start some simple songs you dont expect to be jammed and they jam them out.
Like that SPAC BDTNL I like they are making some songs jam vehicles that you wouldnt expect.

Lifeboy

Nice write-up, Sophist. I always love it when someone with an opinion similar to mine on the current state of the band truly enjoys a show.

I really like this KDF, even though I don't really like the song itself. I prefer it over the next night's Tweezer by leaps and bounds.

Eta- also, this Twist, albeit not too long, is fucking awesome.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sophist

So I am on my 4th spin of this KDF.  I love it.  I think there is so much going on within the jam. 

It just covers so much ground to me.  I think there is a ton of dynamic playing too.  They are just gelling so well.  I think Trey does a really good job of layering as it syncs into this very dark place.   I hear so much patience in the playing too.  It's really different to me too than anything else prior to it this tour, and in a lot of ways, I think it's definitive in terms of shaping a certain sound this tour.  It has elements of everything to me. 

I think around the 16 minute mark Page just gets to this really majestic level of playing and inserts the perfect comp to the octave type playing Trey is doing.  And it just builds with this Manteca esque vibe.  And I love how it builds only then begin to fade into Martian Monster.  It's like they understood they could peak the set instead of just the jam, it's a good first peak for a full set of music, which to me, reminds me of the older way of thinking with Phish. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

So that ghost goes places for 1rst set jam.
Could have listened to that ghost jam a little more but nice 1rst set nugget

sophist

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on August 07, 2015, 12:24:08 PM
I think the Ghost builds really nicely.  And to get a jam in the first set, albeit small, is def a nice little treat. 

I've listened to this show twice on tape now, it's really solid in my opinion, and is one of the better/possibly best 3.0 shows I have seen. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

Quote from: sophist on August 07, 2015, 12:46:57 PM
Quote from: emayPhishyMD on August 07, 2015, 12:24:08 PM
I think the Ghost builds really nicely.  And to get a jam in the first set, albeit small, is def a nice little treat. 

I've listened to this show twice on tape now, it's really solid in my opinion, and is one of the better/possibly best 3.0 shows I have seen.

Like Shoreline, it is a show where on paper you go "Oh thats looks pretty fun" but after listening, I am like "WOAH that was a phish set"
They are bringing back that element of surprise in the sets with some big jams/jams that reach a nice place quick.
It is making following this tour from the couch fun and makes me listen to every show.
Def a strong phish show my buddy just got back from the 4 southern shows and said 7/31 was his fave, 8/4 following.

VDB

one of the better/possibly best 3.0 shows I have seen.

I've so far only relistened to pieces of the first set, but I'm of the same mind.
Is this still Wombat?

mehead

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 09, 2015, 11:31:45 AM
one of the better/possibly best 3.0 shows I have seen.

I've so far only relistened to pieces of the first set, but I'm of the same mind.

3rd'd
His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged

gainesvillegreen

Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

Lifeboy

Haven't seen anyone mention the nice little Twist.

Anyone enjoy it as much as me?
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Lifeboy on August 11, 2015, 09:53:03 AM
Haven't seen anyone mention the nice little Twist.

Anyone enjoy it as much as me?

I thought it was good, nothing earth shattering but a nice follow up.
I'm pretty sure a few others have chimed in on that if you read back.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Twist was great. KDF is cool and all but honestly I think the second half of this set is even better. The aforementioned Twist, a gorgeous Reba and an explosive Gin closer. To say nothing of a typically rockin BOTT with some seguery on either side. Just a nonstop killer set.
Is this still Wombat?

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 11, 2015, 07:56:58 PM
Twist was great. KDF is cool and all but honestly I think the second half of this set is even better. The aforementioned Twist, a gorgeous Reba and an explosive Gin closer. To say nothing of a typically rockin BOTT with some seguery on either side. Just a nonstop killer set.

This is definitely a better than average version of Reba for this time period. I'd have to go back and listen to Shoreline, but this one made a far greater impression on me out of the gate.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: V00D00BR3W on August 11, 2015, 07:56:58 PM

agreed.
one of the best things about KDF for me was the surprise about what it became. didn't expect that from KDG

strong jammin' however you slice it
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged