News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

08/02 - Tuscaloosa Amphitheater - Tuscaloosa, AL - Post-Show Discussion

Started by rowjimmy, August 03, 2015, 09:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lifeboy

I sure hope so. I would also like to see more of those 11-13 jams in the first set like the Ocelot and Ghost from a few shows back.

I guess what I'm saying is.... I want jams, and as many and as often as possible.
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

rowjimmy

I'd like to amend my "4 shows in a row" to 5 and include the sweet 46 Dogs.

Lifeboy

Still haven't listened to this show. I put it on my iPod for work today.

Might just go straight to the Disease. I have a (maybe) bad habit of hardly ever listening to first sets now days
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

sophist

We stayed up pretty late on Saturday.  We met dirty at his hotel, which had a rooftop pool.  Dirty and I posted up there for a while.  We had a lot of hoots.  My friends and I got home around 4am.  I slept 5 hours, and I rallied the troops to hit the road.  We picked up dirty at his hotel around 11am, we fueled up, and drove like a bat out of hell deeper into God's country.  Alabama really is the sweaty taint of America, and I'm not being hyperbolic or using a metaphor either.  If George W Bush spilled his blood all over Athens, GA, and the town become infected with conservatism and normalcy, it would be Tuscaloosa.  This isn't a bad thing.  There is still plenty of watering holes, lots of young talent, and you have BBQ. 

We rolled into Tuscaloosa around 3pm. We posted up in a hotel near the lot and waited the heat out.  I don't know about you guys, but I've never let a taint get the best of me.  And I kept that streak going.  The lot was pretty much one line of cars, and it was the most behaved shakedown I have ever seen too.  I saw one dude peddling ganja chocolates.  Other than that, it was clothes, crappy lot food, and hippie stones infused with the strength of the universe.  I had a blond moment where I thought for a second I was going to be on the rail, and this was cool for two reasons.  1) I have never been on the rail at a Phish show and B) I would get to meet my personal hero Antelope Greg.  Was not the case though, turns out the venue had two entrance lines, and I would have been 500 or so deep in the main line. 

I still walked in right as gates open and procured a good spot about fifteen feet in front of the SBD.  Tuscaloosa Amphitheater reminds me of Starlight with the structure and the openness of the venue.  I thought the sight and sound lines were awesome.  I spent most of the show in the pit, and part of the second set in the lower level of the pavilion seats.  Overall, I'd def recommend seeing a show there.  About the only downside was that it was way too hot, and the security inside was a little over bearing at times.  It's a small amphitheater which made it feel really intimate to me.  I think the staff was slightly overwhelmed with the copious amount of alcohol consumption.  Wasn't an issue for me, they had free water refills in iced coolers, and those were never crowded.  Concession lines looked like a mess though. 

Sample as an opener is deflating to me, but I attribute that it being past the era where it would be exciting.  Chalkdust was quick and to the point.  I thought it sounded pretty good, and again, I noticed a distinct improvement in Trey's ability to be chromatic in his playing.  I thought Train Song was a nice treat.  In the pit, there was a shitload of chatter during it.  I felt the crowd was more drunk in Tuscaloosa than either Atlanta show.  Devotion to a Dream was alright, I loved the Meat and Maze.  I felt like Trey took really good command of Maze, albeit, I will say Page was the winner of this particular version.  I did a lap during the Line to check out the sight lines and sound from the back of the venue.  I returned to the pit for Roggae.  Solid version in my opinion.  My Friend, My Friend was a nice treat.  I thought the 46 days raged pretty hard.  It got a huge crowd reaction too.  Standard Cavern to close out the set. 

Like Saturday Lakewood, I found this first set to be fine, but nothing really enthralling or mind blowing.  I really enjoyed it.  I figured we might finally hit that 15 song second set.  I just figured it had to be due.  I was okay with this thought.  I liked the venue enough, that a shitty set could still produce some fun.  Like the Tweezer, the opening notes of DWD had me guessing ten minutes and then the song fest was on like Donkey Kong.  You know, I felt like the band got dyslexic in a good way.  Instead of hose driven DWD, we got this very laid back and exploratory version.  And I thought the drop into Camel Walk was awesome.  Camel Walk had the best guitar work by Trey of the night.  He absolutely shredded it to pieces.  The "jump" into 7 Below was a little rough, and I was then expecting another mellow, but perhaps dark jam.  Instead they built up and dropped into hose mode.  Hell of a peak in my opinion.  Fuego is growing on me.  It was a standard version though.  Nothing note worthy.  2001 seemed especially playful to me.  Like they were on the edge of rediscovering that this song could really be taken for a ride.  I thought Gordo and Trey were especially playful with it.  Hood seemed a tad bit rushed to me, perhaps they started sweating the curfew?  I walked to the edge of the pit as hood ended.  As Possum hit I walked up into the pavilion and found a few other friends.  I chilled there during the encore break. 

When ADITL started, I watched half of it and then hit the exit.  I met my other buddies at the car, and we made the 2.5 hour trek back to Atlanta.  I thought it was a good show, the highlight for me being the DWD -> Camel Walk > 7 Below.  Atlanta II and this were pretty much on the same page for me.  It was a wonderful weekend.  I got to hang with dirty a bit, I saw Voodoo during Atlanta II as well.  I enjoyed myself and I was and am very grateful that I got what I got for this run.  I think there is still room to grow and the potential to really take off is also there.  I feel like if they do a bigger year next year (summer, and fall) it could really be special. 

Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

emay

Would love the return of a nice jammed out 2001

nice reviews Ramz!
Sounds like you had a blast this weekend and it didnt leave a bad taste in your mouth by the end .  :rawk: :beerbang:

mistercharlie

Really liked the DWD and the Camel walk that followed. That Camel Walk was funkily (I think I might be making that word up) different than the usual Camel Walk. Good stuff.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Itsnotanexperience

rAMZ -

sorry i missed these southeast shows and a chance to see you, but killer review, as always.

I really love this DWD.   Trey sounds so much different than he does on so many 3.0 DWDs.......he really finds some amazing melodic ground and that last jam is really nice.

I'm truly enjoying '15 phish.

mehead

His eyes were clean and pure but his mind was so deranged