News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

This is a tour for the ages!

Started by Hicks, August 10, 2015, 12:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

all I can say, is that this is the 1st time I'm enjoying listening to Trey since...
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

Hicks

This now seems like a lifetime ago. 

Le sigh. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

mistercharlie

Quote from: Hicks on July 07, 2016, 01:42:51 AM

Le sigh.

What happened to all that momentum? Fall of '14 and then Summer of '15 were so hot, and then the train started chugging along again.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

zimbra

Quote from: mistercharlie on July 07, 2016, 05:58:43 AM

Le sigh.

What happened to all that momentum? Fall of '14 and then Summer of '15 were so hot, and then the train started chugging along again.

I have no idea but it's really disappointing.  I leave for the West Coast leg next week so I hope something miraculous happens before then.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

WhatstheUse?

Man. I always have a blast on phish tour, and this summer has been no different - but this has been the most lack-luster tour in years. In ten shows, the only things that really stick out to me are the SPAC CDT and Moma... The rest has just kinda has been phish playing phish songs. Which, it's a good thing I like phish and their songs at least. 
Bring in the dude!

phil

Yeah after listening to a handful of shows and hearing what people that have been there have been saying, I no longer regret my decision to not travel for any shows this summer
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

PIE-GUY

The thing about it is, they are actually playing well. And they are playing a broader array of songs than last year. They're just not "jamming" as much.

It honestly just goes to show they are not playing to please people. They are playing what they want to play how they want to play it.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm the biggest fluffer around but even I would have been let down by the Mike's-> sequence. Such a waste of energy. Even if they went Mike's>Bittersweet>Fluff>Paug and then played the other ballads before closing with a cheesy closer like Zero it would have been better received.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

emay

Quote from: phil on July 07, 2016, 12:16:30 PM
Yeah after listening to a handful of shows and hearing what people that have been there have been saying, I no longer regret my decision to not travel for any shows this summer

someone should tell those wooks on tour nows a good time to start building that 401k

cactusfan

Quote from: zimbra on July 07, 2016, 08:08:16 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on July 07, 2016, 05:58:43 AM

Le sigh.

I have no idea but it's really disappointing.  I leave for the West Coast leg next week so I hope something miraculous happens before then.

i'm hoping the 'something miraculous' happens throughout the west coast run, since i'm seeing SF through SD. surely by then they'll bust out the good stuff?

surely?

zimbra

Quote from: PGLHAH on July 07, 2016, 12:54:37 PM
The thing about it is, they are actually playing well.

Now, I have only listened to the first 4 shows from start to finish and I disagree. Trey sounded so bad in the first three shows... I just started SPAC 1 so hopefully that will change my opinion.
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

emay

I think their playing has been good, but because the songs are slowed down.
listening to the Sparkle from SPAC3 and its like fishman wants to play faster but trey is like half a beat behind.

PIE-GUY

I don't know what to tell you, man. Listen to the Divided Skies from this tour - all solid from Trey. Even Scott agreed there is some dexterity back that was gone for a while.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PGLHAH on July 07, 2016, 02:59:56 PM
I don't know what to tell you, man. Listen to the Divided Skies from this tour - all solid from Trey. Even Scott agreed there is some dexterity back that was gone for a while.

Yeah, I'm with you here. The band sounds tight for the most part and Trey seems to be flowing nicely with his type I Rock peaks. There's not te hesitation in his playing I've heard previously.

But yeah. They are choosing to play songs instead of attempting to jam which is a real bummer to me.
Bring in the dude!

shoreline99

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on July 07, 2016, 02:28:33 PM
I think their playing has been good, but because the songs are slowed down.
listening to the Sparkle from SPAC3 and its like fishman wants to play faster but trey is like half a beat behind.

I blame Bobby.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

susep

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on July 07, 2016, 03:13:38 PM
Quote from: PGLHAH on July 07, 2016, 02:59:56 PM

Yeah, I'm with you here. The band sounds tight for the most part and Trey seems to be flowing nicely with his type I Rock peaks. There's not te hesitation in his playing I've heard previously.

But yeah. They are choosing to play songs instead of attempting to jam which is a real bummer to me.

agreed.  my love affair with Phish has always been about their jams.  Don't get me wrong I love their songs too.  Fishman's quote in the Phish book sums it up nicely, the songs are the boat and the jams are when the boat hits the water(very generalized quote here).  No jams = phish out of water.