News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Star Wars: The Force Awakens discussion

Started by VDB, December 19, 2015, 05:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jedifunk

just got back from finally seeing it... everything i love about the franchise!

a couple of overtly cheesey moments, but mostly it was just kick ass.... i also shed a tear when han left us.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

phil

Just got home from seeing it with my family. I can't believe I made it a whole week without seeing any spoilers. It certainly follows "the hero's journey" pretty well (hence the parallels with A New Hope). I definitely thought it was a bit cheesy at times, which I loved for some reason. I agree with Slim, Kylo Ren was too clean under that mask. Also he didn't seem sinister at all to me, more like an angsty, emo teenager that likes to throw temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way (look up "emo kylo ren" if you're on twitter).

All in all, I absolutely loved it and the theater is two blocks from my house so I will definitely be back to see it again. Tomorrow. And probably Sunday too.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

McGrupp

Quote from: phil on December 25, 2015, 05:51:31 PM
Just got home from seeing it with my family. I can't believe I made it a whole week without seeing any spoilers. It certainly follows "the hero's journey" pretty well (hence the parallels with A New Hope). I definitely thought it was a bit cheesy at times, which I loved for some reason. I agree with Slim, Kylo Ren was too clean under that mask. Also he didn't seem sinister at all to me, more like an angsty, emo teenager that likes to throw temper tantrums when he doesn't get his way (look up "emo kylo ren" if you're on twitter).

All in all, I absolutely loved it and the theater is two blocks from my house so I will definitely be back to see it again. Tomorrow. And probably Sunday too.

yo let's go see it tomorrow, dogg
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

phil

Quote from: McGrupp on December 25, 2015, 06:11:56 PM
Quote from: phil on December 25, 2015, 05:51:31 PM

yo let's go see it tomorrow, dogg

So down.
Quote from: guyforget on November 15, 2010, 11:10:47 PMsure we tend to ramble, but that was a 3 page off topic tangent on crack and doses for breakfast?

Lifeboy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 10, 2010, 10:41:36 PMTo know me is to know my love of Phish.  :smoke:

susep

Quote from: mattstick on December 20, 2015, 02:42:57 PM
Snoke doesn't really seem like a Star Wars name and he looked like something from Harry Potter.

or Lord of the Rings. 

I liked it overall, certainly not mind blowing like part III of the prequels. 
Ren was weak as an apprentice.  Sure he killed his Dad however he would have had more impact if he sliced Finn in half and at least took off half of Rey's arm or leg.  Rey tapped into the force pretty quickly.  Her flight scene in the Millennium was pretty cool in Jakku.  I liked her dynamic with Han in the Millennium.  Cool ending scene in Ireland.   

VA $l!m

Quote from: susep on December 26, 2015, 07:32:14 PM
Snoke doesn't really seem like a Star Wars name and he looked like something from Harry Potter.

or Lord of the Rings. 

Ren was weak as an apprentice.  Sure he killed his Dad however he would have had more impact if he sliced Finn in half and at least took off half of Rey's arm or leg.  Rey tapped into the force pretty quickly.  Her flight scene in the Millennium was pretty cool in Jakku.  I liked her dynamic with Han in the Millennium.  Cool ending scene in Ireland.
you lost me @ mindblowing like pt. III
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

rowjimmy

Quote from: VA $l!m on December 26, 2015, 07:51:12 PM

or Lord of the Rings. 

Samesies

phil

My memory may be failing me (going to see it again in a couple hours to refresh it btw), but I don't think they ever use the word "Sith" in the movie...is that intentional because Palpatine and Vader were the "last" Sith? Are Kylo Ren and Snoke just Force sensitives who wield the dark side or are they actually Sith?

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 27, 2015, 03:47:15 PM

or Lord of the Rings. 

Samesies

Agreed. And not to pile on here, but if the emo guy cuts in half/maims the two new protagonists, how would Disney be able to market the next two movies effectively?

blatboom

seen it 3 times so far. feel like the plot takes a back seat to all the wonderful new (and old) characters and I'm ok with that. there are some amazing performances here and I was emotionally invested in each one. plot holes are a fact of life in the world of star wars. think easier

sunrisevt

Quote from: emayPhishyMD on December 21, 2015, 10:07:10 AM
Saw it friday thought it was awesome.
Agreed on the Snoke character, I think when we finally see him not in hologram hes gonna be tiny like yoda-size.

My exact thought when they first cut the hologram. I was thinking more mouse-size, with a voice modulator.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

blatboom

sunrisevt

Quote from: phil on December 28, 2015, 09:39:29 AM
My memory may be failing me (going to see it again in a couple hours to refresh it btw), but I don't think they ever use the word "Sith" in the movie...is that intentional because Palpatine and Vader were the "last" Sith? Are Kylo Ren and Snoke just Force sensitives who wield the dark side or are they actually Sith?

Quote from: rowjimmy on December 27, 2015, 03:47:15 PM

or Lord of the Rings. 

Samesies

Agreed. And not to pile on here, but if the emo guy cuts in half/maims the two new protagonists, how would Disney be able to market the next two movies effectively?

Plot twist! They do it intentionally, market the toys as amputees, tied in with a giant public awareness campaign about wounded veterans of the GWOT, and all associated merchandising revenue going to the VA, Wounded Warriors, etc.

...I'll show myself out.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

VA $l!m

Quote from: blatboom on December 28, 2015, 11:20:02 AM
seen it 3 times so far. feel like the plot takes a back seat to all the wonderful new (and old) characters and I'm ok with that. there are some amazing performances here and I was emotionally invested in each one. plot holes are a fact of life in the world of star wars. think easier
Agreed. its not like the original 3 movies had somme super complex plot. it was all about the characters. in as much i think AFA did a superb job.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

zimbra

So... Rey is Obi Wan's daughter, thoughts?
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio