News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Lost partition of my external HD

Started by petert686, January 12, 2006, 02:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petert686

Ok so I have a iMac G5 and an external HD and i just lost one of the partitions on the external HD. I tried for some help over at apple.com but no one helped me so now i come to you guys. here's the problem...

When i turn on my external HD only one of the partition's shows up thats the one called "Backup," the other partition called "Extra Stuff" is not seen. So when i go into disk utility it sees both partitions but labels "Extra Stuff" as "disk2s10" but its greyed. So when i click on that and try to Verify the disk in First Aid it says the disk needs to be repaired. So then when i try to repair it says...

Disk Utility stopped repairing "disk2s10" because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit

Ok now here's the events surrounding this partition being lost....

I backup my Mac with Super Duper! but heres the thing it could be possible that i chose the "Extra Stuff" partition on accident but i really don't think i did. so then during backup something messes up and Super Duper stops and my computer actually froze i had to hold the power button to restart. So i restart and try to backup again no problem this time and for sure on the Backup partition. BUt i open up the "extra Stuff" partition and nothing is there. So i freak out haha. So i tried turning off my hard drive and turning it back on and thats when it wouldn't recognize that partition. So i would think if i accidently chose "extra stuff" as the drive to back up on the first time there would have been at least something there cause it did get part way through the backup. i think if i can somehow repair it all my stuff will still be there.

please please please help me. anything is appreciated i know a lot of you guys use mac and i hope you can help me somehow. I had like 80 gigs worth of shows on there including a huge B&P for ucusty that now is gotta take a while.
thanks for anything u can do

jedifunk

do you have tech tool pro or diskwarrior?  i would run one of those if you have it... i think TTP come with the apple install disks.  its actually on the apple care disk, if you got apple care... also look at the disks that came with the HD as they may have it.

it sounds fairly serious, and the drive may have lost all its belonging in the crash...  if need be, i have diskwarrior, and could yousendit to ya, but it wouldnt be until next week (off on vacation in a couple of hours).

if disk utility doesnt recognize the partition it could spell trouble.  i hate to say it... hopefully you get it all back together ok.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jephrey

If the other partition is fine, then I don't know.  I'd doubt a mechanical failure, but it's still possible that only a small portion of that disk got garbled and is not fixable.  Software-wise, I'd just get all kinds of disk utilities that can check volumes and run them all.  In the end, if nothing worked, I'd make sure everything on it was backed up and reformat the whole thing.  By doing that, however, it may all go down the tubes.  Sorry I can't help more.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

petert686

well all my install discs for Mac and for the hard drive are at my house and i'm at college so i wouldn't be able to get those for a while. can i download disk utilities online as freeware?

jephrey

I don't have the time to search right now...

Torrentspy or versiontracker may have something.  I just don't know.

Jephrey
There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

jedifunk

i'll be back in the twin cities on monday... i can yousendit diskwarrior to you then.  i'm stealing wireless from a neighbor here down in florida where we are staying.  hope you can wait a few days.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

petert686

yeah i can wait til monday no problem. thank you