News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Curveball - 08/17-19/18 Watkins Glen

Started by runawayjimbo, February 26, 2018, 02:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

rowjimmy

I just saw something via facetweets that it's on.

Caravan2001

PIE-GUY

QuoteFor those heading to Curveball: I saw this posted from another Phish FB group, original comes from PT...

-------------------------------

So I'm local and work in emergency services. Maybe I can put some of these rumors to rest.

The flooding IS bad. I've lived here 22 years and never seen anything on this scale. It's been raining since July and the ground and creeks are over saturated. WGI, however, isn't really in danger of any massive flooding geographically. They've gotten through countless races with severe weather, including a small tornado and torrential rains, before. They're pros at this. I do, however, think it's very likely that you're going to wind up with some very wet, saturated, soggy fields. Cars get stuck in the mud so regularly up there on a good summer(this hasn't been) that they keep tow trucks on hand to pull them out. So plan for that. If you've got a tent, I would consider something to put under it. I don't tent camp, so I can't be more specific. But I honestly don't see anything close to a complete wash out happening.

Around the area is a different story. Roads aren't just flooded; they're gone. A campground basically got swept away last night and many people were rescued by boats. A local trailer park is gone. People have lost pets, houses, possessions. Montour Falls, just down the hill, has been hit hard as has Watkins Glen and a little farther north. Emergency services are taxed to the breaking point and are to start operations up at WGI tomorrow. We are under a state of emergency. All the fire departments scheduled to provide fire and medical coverage this week are from hard hit places—these guys and girls have been up for days doing boat rescues, helping close roads, evacuations and pumping basements along with their regular fire and EMS coverage. They are all volunteer. Many have damage to their own homes. So when dealing with the locals, please just be kind and considerate. We all hope you have a great time and the weather clears for you; but we've had a shit week and are exhausted.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

antelope19

Wow. That's intense. I hope this works out for everyone involved.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

sunrisevt

^^^iI'll confirm that from my observations so far on site. WGI is on high ground—there are puddles and some mud of course but as long as the rain doesn't come back in force, we'll be fine. Just not quite as dry as 2011 & 2015.

I'm posting this from inside my tent in WET camping.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

Caravan2001

Quote from: sunrisevt on August 14, 2018, 10:27:28 PM
^^^iI'll confirm that from my observations so far on site. WGI is on high ground—there are puddles and some mud of course but as long as the rain doesn't come back in force, we'll be fine. Just not quite as dry as 2011 & 2015.

Thanks for the update.  I guess on the bright side, the fest will pump a bunch of much needed cash into the local economy.

ETA: tenting for a week at a fest is core!

VA $l!m

:rockout: HAVE a GREAT TIME WEEK4FAM!!!  :banana:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

sunrisevt

Quote from: Caravan2001 on August 14, 2018, 10:39:58 PM
Quote from: sunrisevt on August 14, 2018, 10:27:28 PM

Thanks for the update.  I guess on the bright side, the fest will pump a bunch of much needed cash into the local economy.

ETA: tenting for a week at a fest is core!

Yeah there was a drunk/coked our redneck amusing himself by screaming at the top of his lungs about white powder for a couple of hours already, around 2-3am. It was charming. Hopefully he runs out of drugs/money soon. I'm not looking to sleeper hold a stranger.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

sunrisevt

...and he's up and at it. Somebody bring a taser?

mistercharlie

Quote from: sunrisevt on August 15, 2018, 06:12:25 AM

Damn, sounds like you have a PRIME camping spot! Good luck with the local-yokel tweeker.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: sunrisevt on August 15, 2018, 06:12:25 AM

ha! I can bring mine?

anyhow, we hit he road around 4 today, plan to crash half way (Ashtabula area) then drive on in tomorrow.

I cannot contain my excitement.  :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

PIE-GUY

Christy Articola from STTF doing Icculus' work...

QuoteLast night I messsged the Schuyler County Sheriffs Department and asked if there is anything they wanted me to tell you and also asked if they needed any help in any way from fans or if any local folks needed donations or supplies we could bring due to the floods, here is their reply, sounds like everything is looking pretty good:

"The flooding was localized to small areas and mainly effected roadways. Just have fans be aware of the saturated ground in the camping areas. The water has receded to almost normal levels in the creeks, so travel should not be a problem."
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

birdman

Quote from: PIE-GUY on August 15, 2018, 07:49:22 AM
Christy Articola from STTF doing Icculus' work...

QuoteLast night I messsged the Schuyler County Sheriffs Department and asked if there is anything they wanted me to tell you and also asked if they needed any help in any way from fans or if any local folks needed donations or supplies we could bring due to the floods, here is their reply, sounds like everything is looking pretty good:

"The flooding was localized to small areas and mainly effected roadways. Just have fans be aware of the saturated ground in the camping areas. The water has receded to almost normal levels in the creeks, so travel should not be a problem."
solid.
Travel safe everyone. See y'all soon
Paug FTMFW!

rowjimmy