News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard Thread

Started by mistercharlie, April 07, 2018, 10:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Multibeast12

I'll be going to their show in New York City in October. Very excited to go again.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

The new album has been stuck in my head for awhile now.
Those Red Rocks shows will be sick, I'm sure.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

natronzero

My co-brewer is in Europe for his honeymoon, caught the boys in Berlin last night, and met and got pics with Cookie, Lucas and Ambrose outside the venue. He's livin' the good life.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

mistercharlie

QuoteMy co-brewer is in Europe for his honeymoon, caught the boys in Berlin last night, and met and got pics with Cookie, Lucas and Ambrose outside the venue. He's livin' the good life.
That's awesome! The guys in Gizz seem really fan-oriented. I hope they come to Indy some day!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Trey was at the Gizz show last night.  And if you've not heard them yet, the two albums gizzard put out so far in October are the jammy-est Gizz ever. IDPLMAL is an album of pure bliss.

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

jam>

I was at the show in Forest Hills last night. It was great! I don't listen to their albums much but would see them again for sure.

Multibeast12

Was there the other night. Great show. The new songs are incredible live. The Magma and Lava were the highlights for me.

mistercharlie

I've seen another pic and I guess Trey was either there with, or met up with, the Luigi-looking guy from Goose. The videos I've seen of the show look amazing. The new songs are so damn good.

natronzero

Quote from: mistercharlie on October 23, 2022, 12:08:03 PMI've seen another pic and I guess Trey was either there with, or met up with, the Luigi-looking guy from Goose. The videos I've seen of the show look amazing. The new songs are so damn good.

Looks to have been wearing a badge too, so I wouldn't be surprised if he met up with the Gizzard guys as well. Story I've heard about when they met in '19 is that he invited them to a TAB show, so maybe they returned the gesture.

On another note, I have to admit I've been reluctant, maybe borderline curmudgeonly, about using the "J" word when it comes to what Gizz is doing.
But then 2 weeks ago at Red Rocks they dropped this 19 minute blistering, exploratory version of The River, and I'm ready to say I was wrong...
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

PIE-GUY

This is pretty intense - is any of it improvised, though? It's a lot to remember if not. 

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Gol D. Roger

That "Magma" makes the album version obsolete.

Gonna do Amsterdam > Tilburg next year. Also eyeing the Milan date. :beerbang:
,,Teenage Dreams, So Hard To Beat"

mistercharlie

That's the best KEXP session in a while!

There's definitely some improv going n. The songs on IDPLMAL are all pretty long, but they still take them for a walk in this session.

natronzero

Yeah, they've always jammed a little and have been going further and further that direction in the last year or so. But they've also got a thing for long, complex arrangements, and I think they've really started composing songs that lend themselves to being jammed and extended.

emay

They are at the top of the game right now. They are really pushing limits right now esp with all the releases. Insane work ethic.
The 3 hour red rocks show was amazing. One of the best shows I seen all year. Head on/pill was insane. def had some improve sections in there but more of a extended driving guitar riff/beat than type 2 stuff. Got a print too.
Changes and omnium gatherum are in regular rotation.