News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2018-12-31 - Madison Square Garden, New York, NY - Post Show Discussion

Started by GBL, January 01, 2019, 01:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Not sure if they showed this on screens at the Garden, its pretty small but I like they added an extra element for the webcasters at home with the gopro cameras on Mike and Trey instruments when they were in the air. Spacey fish eye.

rowjimmy

There were no screens.

Video is amazing.
Phish is terrific.
Even when they fuck shit up.

tet

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 02, 2019, 01:59:36 AM
The Passing Through ending was rough. They clearly wanted the crowd to pick up the "wayo wayo" and let the energy build and have the Hood jam come screaming out of it... and the whole thing just flopped. Forced crowd interaction almost never works... and this felt so forced.

Brutal.

that's exactly what they were going for, and it was more poorly executed than the Fallout 76 launch.  I was in a luxury box so I couldn't participate in the "wayo wayo" as fully as the rest of you w00ks, so I take no responsibility for your (in)actions!

in other news, NYE fucking rocked.  can't wait to do it again!!!
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

ph92

I had an awesome time, this was the best gag in quite some time I'd say. Glad I ran into the skybridge paug crew! Also nice to see Todd, Scotty, and Michelle
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Hicks

The GoPro footage wasn't there on the webcast, probably didn't have access to it in the truck. 

Cool to see that they added it in for the youtube, I was wondering if they would. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Hicks on January 02, 2019, 09:45:52 PM
The GoPro footage wasn't there on the webcast, probably didn't have access to it in the truck. 

Cool to see that they added it in for the youtube, I was wondering if they would.

The stills from it are badass.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

From watching the NYE video I have a question...

Where there shirts in some of the balloons dropped from the rafters? It sure looks like shirts in them in the video.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on January 03, 2019, 06:28:16 AM

Where there shirts in some of the balloons dropped from the rafters? It sure looks like shirts in them in the video.

It was like sheets of silvery stuff.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on January 03, 2019, 11:39:27 AM

Yeah, I think it was just to add weight so they'd fall
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

rowjimmy

Quote from: PIE-GUY on January 03, 2019, 12:39:11 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on January 03, 2019, 11:39:27 AM

Yeah, I think it was just to add weight so they'd fall

Also shiny.

cleech74

Not sure it's been mentioned here yet, but when I watched the Mercury>SANTOS vid, with the shimmering, silvery stuff, and the silver/gray balloons, it reminded me of actual Mercury. If you've ever broken a glass thermometer, the Mercury beads up into little droplets, silvery & mirror-like in color. Not sure if that was intentional, but it looked cool to me, aside from just being one of the better NYE gags in a while. If I'm stating the obvious, my bad. Killer run, for sure. Can't wait to see this band live again, hopefully sometime this coming year.
"...ruminations of the end of empire, what it is like for a society to no longer have the will to pull itself as a whole, as a single entity, forward. It is a recipe for the disenfranchisement of significant portions of the country, for a divorce of one America from the other" -David Simon

emay

gah

Mercury is a planet. It's the closest one to the sun. It gets hot on Mercury.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.

anthrax

Quote from: cleech74 on January 03, 2019, 03:27:17 PM
Not sure it's been mentioned here yet, but when I watched the Mercury>SANTOS vid, with the shimmering, silvery stuff, and the silver/gray balloons, it reminded me of actual Mercury. If you've ever broken a glass thermometer, the Mercury beads up into little droplets, silvery & mirror-like in color. Not sure if that was intentional, but it looked cool to me, aside from just being one of the better NYE gags in a while. If I'm stating the obvious, my bad. Killer run, for sure. Can't wait to see this band live again, hopefully sometime this coming year.

it was totally intentional.  if you dig into the lyrics of mercury, there was a lot of intentional things going on with that gag.  it had been in the works for months.  santos was just a late addition and i'm assuming the pizza/alien weirdness was added late too.

mistercharlie

Quote from: gah on January 03, 2019, 03:41:49 PM
Mercury is a planet. It's the closest one to the sun. It gets hot on Mercury.

That's why you gotta take along the Cool Amber. It keeps you chill.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.