News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2020 Democratic Primary Candidate Poll

Started by mbw, March 26, 2019, 12:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbw

Pick 2.  Change your vote at will.  I am only including candidates that have formally announced, and will add when god forbid more jump in.

Discuss.

VDB

Hickenlooper: purple-state guy, executive experience, history of pragmatism, not out there on the wing (read: electable). Likes beer.

I also don't know a ton about him, which probably means he's actually awful.
Is this still Wombat?

mbw

I'm going with the old Jew and the Hindu.

emay

Quote from: VDB on March 26, 2019, 12:19:31 PM
Hickenlooper: purple-state guy, executive experience, history of pragmatism, not out there on the wing (read: electable). Likes beer.

I also don't know a ton about him, which probably means he's actually awful.

He is more conservative than people think, but maybe thats who the Dems need to run.
He tried to fight Cannabis legalization because he has his chips in the brewery industry. People also criticize him of being a corp puppet for the oil industry.

Fun fact he is in the Kurt Vonnegut book, Timequake.

sls.stormyrider

He says his views on mj have evolved.

Co chair of Blomberg's mayors against guns movement and actually enacted reasonable gun control laws in CO
Joined with other states to stick by the Paris accord goals of reducing greenhouse gas
against capital punishment
expanded Medicaid under HCA

on the surface he doesn't sound bad at all, but I live about 2000 miles away from him
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

I do remember Hickenlooper making a lazy joke about Cheetos around the time of legalization there. So that was lame.
Is this still Wombat?

ytowndan

I usually vote my heart in the primaries, but this election is way too fucking important, so it all comes down to one question: Who has the best chance of beating Trump?  That's the person I'll vote for.  I'll be trying to rely less on my gut and looking more at things like polling trends.  I wouldn't be surprised if my support changed several times throughout this never ending shit show. 

And as of right now, I believe (for reasons stated last night in the Muller thread) that the best, but by no means perfect, choice is Sanders.  Remember, we don't need a landslide, we only need a win!  But, at the end of the day, if the answer seems to be Biden or Hickenlooper or someone else on the moderate end of the spectrum, then I'll proudly vote for him or her.  I put Harris as my current second choice, btw, because I think she might be able to put together the so-called Obama Coalition, but only time will tell.  She may turn out to be a horrible campaigner.  It's still so early. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

sls.stormyrider

still in the information gathering stage. Will be favoring a moderate but will vote for any one on this list over Trump.

I do know who I will be voting for Town Selectman tonight though. Haven't decided yet on School Committee
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

runawayjimbo

Do you have to be a registered Dem to participate? Too bad, Mayor Pete and Tulsi.

Quote from: emay on March 26, 2019, 01:16:19 PM
Fun fact he is in the Kurt Vonnegut book, Timequake.

Solid fun fact

Quote from: ytowndan on March 26, 2019, 03:31:34 PM
I put Harris as my current second choice, btw, because I think she might be able to put together the so-called Obama Coalition, but only time will tell.  She may turn out to be a horrible campaigner.  It's still so early. 

Took a bet the other day with a buddy that it would be Biden / Kamala or Stacy Abrams. I think an african american woman as VP (especially if it comes with 1 term pledge from Joe) is a compelling ticket. But after today I'm not so sure: she co-sponsored the GND resolution in the Senate and then proceeded to vote Present on it. Not exactly the profile in courage you're looking for. I think she's gonna underperform which will really dampen her chances but it's still a ways out.
Quote from: DoW on October 26, 2013, 09:06:17 PM
I'm drunk but that was epuc

Quote from: mehead on June 22, 2016, 11:52:42 PM
The Line still sucks. Hard.

Quote from: Gumbo72203 on July 25, 2017, 08:21:56 PM
well boys, we fucked up by not being there.

ytowndan

Quote from: runawayjimbo on March 26, 2019, 05:56:06 PM
Quote from: ytowndan on March 26, 2019, 03:31:34 PM
I put Harris as my current second choice, btw, because I think she might be able to put together the so-called Obama Coalition, but only time will tell.  She may turn out to be a horrible campaigner.  It's still so early. 

Took a bet the other day with a buddy that it would be Biden / Kamala or Stacy Abrams. I think an african american woman as VP (especially if it comes with 1 term pledge from Joe) is a compelling ticket. But after today I'm not so sure: she co-sponsored the GND resolution in the Senate and then proceeded to vote Present on it. Not exactly the profile in courage you're looking for. I think she's gonna underperform which will really dampen her chances but it's still a ways out.

Not a bad bet.  Though, I don't understand all the love for Abrams (or Beto for that matter).  Nothing against her or her politics, I just don't get why Dems go gaga over their almost-winners. 

sls.stormyrider

In MA ypu can be IND and vote in either primary. Not both the same year though

I'll put an early plug in for Klobuchar

ytowndan

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.