News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2020 Democratic Primary Poll (NOW WITH VOTE CHANGING!)

Started by mistercharlie, April 19, 2019, 09:07:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VDB

Quote from: mehead on February 26, 2020, 12:21:54 PM
Quote from: VDB on February 26, 2020, 11:40:50 AM
Of all the wild and unrealistic promises and flagrant misrepresentations of presidential authority that we're getting from candidates this campaign season, the one currently sticking deepest in my craw is Bernie's false claim that by descheduling weed it would "effectively legalize marijuana in every state in the country." It's a reckless promise. What makes him say this?

Because Bernie is gonna be Bernie and I think his base will slurp this up. And he said this will take place on day one of his presidency.

Either he knows better or he doesn't. Either way that's a problem.
Is this still Wombat?

tet

I'm voting blue no matter what, but I'm just not getting the Pete hate here.  I've liked the guy since I first saw a clip of him a year ago, before he even announced he was running.  I know some of it on Twitter is Russian bots and some fringe Bernie Bros just stirring shit up, but I presume most of you are not kompromat...

So, serious question - why is he being vilified? The guy would be a pretty damn refreshing change to Agent Orange.  He's young, smart, and pretty damn articulate (in ~8 languages).  If Trump even bothers to show up to a debate with him, Pete will destroy him - he doesn't take the bait and keeps his cool better than anyone since Obama, IMO.  He has very liberal ideologies - maybe not as extreme as Bernie or Liz, but I think his shit could actually get passed BECAUSE he will bring a bunch of blue reps/sens with him to the ballot box, which I think Bernie will struggle with (Liz not as much).  Are they perfect plans?  No, nobody's is, and like I said, I will vote for any one of them who is on that ticket in November. 

Also, this 'in the pocket of billionaires and PACs' accusation simply isn't true.  Not a single one of them has donated more than you and I are allowed to donate, which is $2,800.  So, it just makes no sense to me that he's getting this label which is blatantly false, and which would only further help Trump & Co. against any potential nominee. 

We need unity, not division, and I don't see this primary season getting any prettier...  Maybe we'll have some clarity after Super Tuesday, but this may get a whole lot worse before it gets better. 
"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

emay

sls.stormyrider

Quote from: tet on February 27, 2020, 02:39:30 PM
I'm voting blue no matter what, but I'm just not getting the Pete hate here.  I've liked the guy since I first saw a clip of him a year ago, before he even announced he was running.  I know some of it on Twitter is Russian bots and some fringe Bernie Bros just stirring shit up, but I presume most of you are not kompromat...

So, serious question - why is he being vilified? The guy would be a pretty damn refreshing change to Agent Orange.  He's young, smart, and pretty damn articulate (in ~8 languages).  If Trump even bothers to show up to a debate with him, Pete will destroy him - he doesn't take the bait and keeps his cool better than anyone since Obama, IMO.  He has very liberal ideologies - maybe not as extreme as Bernie or Liz, but I think his shit could actually get passed BECAUSE he will bring a bunch of blue reps/sens with him to the ballot box, which I think Bernie will struggle with (Liz not as much).  Are they perfect plans?  No, nobody's is, and like I said, I will vote for any one of them who is on that ticket in November. 

Also, this 'in the pocket of billionaires and PACs' accusation simply isn't true.  Not a single one of them has donated more than you and I are allowed to donate, which is $2,800.  So, it just makes no sense to me that he's getting this label which is blatantly false, and which would only further help Trump & Co. against any potential nominee. 

We need unity, not division, and I don't see this primary season getting any prettier...  Maybe we'll have some clarity after Super Tuesday, but this may get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

I'm with you. More than likely, I'll vote for either Mayor Pete or Amy next Tuesday

for the record, if the Dems nominated my next door neighbors dog, I would vote for him over Trump
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

VDB

I can't speak for others, but what doesn't rub me right about Pete is similar to what I hate about most politicians: the phoniness masquerading as authenticity. I have no doubt that Pete's a nice guy who genuinely cares about things, but his presentation is so typical. Actually, that it's a particularly polished version of it makes it worse. Notice how he always has the perfect thing to say, always the perfect position to stake out. How he unveiled his "Frederick Douglas Plan" because black people don't like him. How he imitates Obama's talking. I watch Pete and I see a very finely honed political product, kind of smarmy, very ambitious.
Is this still Wombat?

PIE-GUY

Quote from: VDB on February 28, 2020, 01:33:33 PM
I can't speak for others, but what doesn't rub me right about Pete is similar to what I hate about most politicians: the phoniness masquerading as authenticity. I have no doubt that Pete's a nice guy who genuinely cares about things, but his presentation is so typical. Actually, that it's a particularly polished version of it makes it worse. Notice how he always has the perfect thing to say, always the perfect position to stake out. How he unveiled his "Frederick Douglas Plan" because black people don't like him. How he imitates Obama's talking. I watch Pete and I see a very finely honed political product, kind of smarmy, very ambitious.

I don't agree with this assessment at all. I really like Pete. I like that he's incredibly smart, a vet, an Episcopalian, etc. and I don't find him "smarmy" at all. I think he's genuine and carries himself like a natural "statesman."

That said, I think he is too young and inexperienced to be president. I think his positions on many of the issues I care about are too incremental and centrist.

Bottom line, I voted for Bernie in the Texas primary, but I really like Pete. I do... and all you young'ns who have these problems with him need to get over yourselves. He's one of the brightest rising stars the Democrats have in their arsenal. He's gonna be important for decades to come. I really wish he'd run for Senate!! Same with Beto. I wish he'd run for Senate again and again until he wins a Texas Senate seat!!!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

ytowndan

I don't find him "smarmy" but I get what you're saying and agree with some of it.  He definitely comes off as a phony.  Like someone who's imitating a natural politician (Obama for example).  And he has like zero experience.  Yes, he's more qualified than Trump, but that's not good enough IMO.  He's certainly qualified to run for Congress.  He could have ran for the House for sure, and after this he's even got a good chance for a seat in the Senate or Governor.  I don't know enough about Indiana politics, but it's not impossible for a Democrat to win either of those, right?

His stilted performance, I think, is probably just from inexperience, though, and not because of some lack of character.  He'll fine tune it with a few years under his belt and I'm sure he'll do quite well.  I can honestly see him as President someday, and I'm sure he would accomplish some good.  And I do think he's crazy smart and we need more genuine intellectuals in office.  But he's going to have to come around on the issues to ever earn my primary vote.  I don't need a full-blown leftist, but I can't bring myself to vote for a neoliberal when there's a progressive in the race.  The general election, obviously, is a different story.  Anyone with a pulse and a D gets my vote in November. 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

pcr3

Quote from: ytowndan on February 28, 2020, 03:46:08 PM

I don't find him "smarmy" but I get what you're saying and agree with some of it.  He definitely comes off as a phony.  Like someone who's imitating a natural politician (Obama for example).  And he has like zero experience.  Yes, he's more qualified than Trump, but that's not good enough IMO.  He's certainly qualified to run for Congress.  He could have ran for the House for sure, and after this he's even got a good chance for a seat in the Senate or Governor.  I don't know enough about Indiana politics, but it's not impossible for a Democrat to win either of those, right?

His stilted performance, I think, is probably just from inexperience, though, and not because of some lack of character.  He'll fine tune it with a few years under his belt and I'm sure he'll do quite well.  I can honestly see him as President someday, and I'm sure he would accomplish some good.  And I do think he's crazy smart and we need more genuine intellectuals in office.  But he's going to have to come around on the issues to ever earn my primary vote.  I don't need a full-blown leftist, but I can't bring myself to vote for a neoliberal when there's a progressive in the race.  The general election, obviously, is a different story.  Anyone with a pulse and a D gets my vote in November.

I agree with all of the above, except for the phony part.  I don't get that vibe from him, but perhaps I'm naive.  Either way, I really hope that the field narrows soon, as I don't want the DNC to be a shitshow that leads to another 4 years of fascist government.  The Democrats need to rally around a candidate and soon.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

mbw

VDB

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 28, 2020, 02:13:04 PM
I think he's genuine and carries himself like a natural "statesman."

I would submit that our perception of a what a natural statesman looks/acts like has been colored by many years of watching politicians perform the role of statesman. I fully agree that Pete looks and acts his part well.

Bernie may tend to stay vigorously, perhaps tediously, on-message, but at least I get a sort of unfiltered authenticity out of him. That's something that a lot of people find appealing about Trump as well.
Is this still Wombat?

VA $l!m

not a big fan of pete, but he's not like the worst either.

I've always loved Warren, but Bernie is just as fine with me.

ofc theres a huge difference in which candidate i prefer and which i think is most electable.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: mbw on March 01, 2020, 06:27:39 PM
Quote from: kellerb on February 13, 2020, 11:03:26 AM
Quote from: mbw on February 11, 2020, 08:07:27 PM
Yang is out.

Biden:  "I did WHAT at the debate?!"

Peter's out.

There was no chance of him dying of old age in office, which is a requirement these days.
Bring in the dude!

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.