News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Favorite One-Off cover of 3.0

Started by WhatstheUse?, June 07, 2019, 07:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

What say you, fellow Paugers? I'm probably forgetting a bunch but... oh well!

Let's exclude Halloween tunes. That gets complicated. Same with acapella tunes...

Bring in the dude!

WhatstheUse?

Okay, I'll start.

Everything in Its Right Place got my vote. It's cringeworthy upon Relisten but I've never been more psyched on a new cover... at the time.

Sunday Morning was special.

Instant Karma and Free Man in Paris were tunes I was unfamiliar with before seeing them live - then became obsessed, primarily with the Phish versions.

Rocket Man brings back especially fond memories. As does Iron Man (spotting Anthrax halfway across the venue ROCKING the fuck out - Devil horns ensued)

Once in a Lifetime stands out as the most cringe worthy moment I recall.... they just... did not play it well.
Bring in the dude!

mattstick

It's Powderfinger. Brought me to tears.

PIE-GUY

I was on the verge of voting for Instant Karma - I was right next to  :wtu: when they busted that out and we were both grinning ear to ear... but Monkey Man gets my vote. That tune is so gritty, and they fucking nailed it. It's one of my favorite 3.0 moments, honestly.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 07, 2019, 08:10:57 PM
I was on the verge of voting for Instant Karma - I was right next to  :wtu: when they busted that out and we were both grinning ear to ear... but Monkey Man gets my vote. That tune is so gritty, and they fucking nailed it. It's one of my favorite 3.0 moments, honestly.

I have vivid memories of asking you what they were playing!
Bring in the dude!

PIE-GUY

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on June 07, 2019, 08:12:20 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on June 07, 2019, 08:10:57 PM

I have vivid memories of asking you what they were playing!

I have a vivid memory of hearing the opening chord and immediately and knowingly singing along with Page on the opening line "Instant Karma's gonna get you"
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

susep

I go back to Free Man in Paris quite often.  The way Phish plays it reminds of the Allman Bros. 
White Winter Hymnal is another gem.   

anthrax

BIG BALLS!!!!!!!!!  (But I voted Monkey Man)

mbw

I vote O Holy Night.

How in the fuck had you never heard Instant Karma??

Buffalo Budd

Where's my 'Killing In the Name'?!
My mind went there immediately.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 08, 2019, 01:29:15 AM

QFT
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

cactusfan

Thank you for reminding me about Monkey Man. Listened to that for the first time in forever. Good one.

But. I voted for Night Nurse.

Also--it's Way Down in the Hole. Not "Whole." Though that's not a bad name for a song.

And isn't Suffragette City part of a halloween show?

mistercharlie

Quote from: mattstick on June 07, 2019, 08:08:17 PM
It's Powderfinger. Brought me to tears.

This is the correct answer. But,.....

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on June 08, 2019, 01:29:15 AM

This is me also.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Killing in the Name was by far my most favorite one to see live, followed by Iron Man.  However, I've listened to Monkey Man more than any other 3.0 cover.

Great poll, WTU!

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on June 08, 2019, 09:16:19 AM
Killing in the Name was by far my most favorite one to see live, followed by Iron Man.  However, I've listened to Monkey Man more than any other 3.0 cover.

Great poll, WTU!

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.