News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Robert Hunter

Started by Hicks, September 24, 2019, 01:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Shitty, shitty news, hate to be the one to break this, but it's real.

I think we can all agree his impact on our lives and music in general was immeasurable. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robert-hunter-grateful-dead-dead-889788/

RIP and thank you.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Arghhhhhhh!

Without a doubt the hardest pill to swallow of all the recent musician passings.

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

I kinda knew this was coming before too long. But it's not as if I was, in any way prepared.

I can't, at this point, begin to say what this man's work has meant to me.

birdman

Ugh. So many great tunes so many great moments.
RIP
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

So damn torn up about this one.   :cry:

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung
Would you hear my voice come through the music
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken
Perhaps they're better left unsung
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
If your cup is full may it be again
Let it be known there is a fountain
That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway
Between the dawn and the dark of night
And if you go no one may follow
That path is for your steps alone

Ripple in still water
When there is no pebble tossed
Nor wind to blow

You who choose to lead must follow
But if you fall you fall alone
If you should stand then who's to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

pcr3

The range of emotions he has drawn out of me is unlike any other artist. And right now all I have is an empty pit in my stomach. RIP.
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Superfreakie

Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

sunrisevt

I've been a drippy mess for 24+ hours. Same thing happened in 2016 when Prince died.

Thankfully, last night I was able to attend an acoustic jam at one local bar and karaoke at another, with multiple crowded singalong renditions of "Ripple," &c.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

VDB

Take a moment to consider the size of Hunter's contribution to American culture. Amazing and I am grateful for it.
Is this still Wombat?

sls.stormyrider

He was truly a master

I will always cry when I hear Ripple and Brokedown Palace.

RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

rowjimmy

Posted a Hunter tribute episode of BrokedownPod today
https://brokedownpodcast.blogspot.com/

Obviously there's some music and memories in there but also there's an excerpt from an uncirculated poetry reading form '93.

VA $l!m

Saw a great quote in the blurb from the AP in our paper.

To paraphrase, Hunter said the greatest compliment he every received was from a random deadhead at a show one time when he was wondering around the crowd.
The head didn't know who he was and during Cumberland BLues said to him "I wonder what the guy who wrote this 100 years ago would think if he knew the Dead would be playing it today".
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-