News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Computer Station/Entertainment Center/Man Cave ideas

Started by WhatstheUse?, February 04, 2020, 08:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Alright y'all, your boy is growing up and venturing into the unknown  :wtu:.  After 14 years of living with roommates, and pushing 10 years (!) living with the band in some form or another, Michelle  and I are spreading our wings and FINALLY getting our own place this spring. We're not buying yet.... but this is the first time I've ever ever even entertained ideas of a space to call my own.

In general - I'm looking for ideas to streamline my entire entertainment realm. Get my laptop hooked up to my tv... which is linked to the appleTV.... which can airplay to my blah blah blah and basically make me have to do nothing except sit back and enjoy.

I know this is rudimentary stuff - but it's nothing I've implemented before. What's the easiest way to connect computer>TV? I'm an apple guy so...airplay via AppleTV? Does audio transfer the same way? ... for instance, can I use my TV setup/speakers to stream audio from my computer with no sound degradation?

What's the deal with these music streamer devices? I'm not even sure what those do....and how about these Logitech connect-everything devices? Who's Siri? Who's Alexa? Who's hotter? And who will help me better?

Help me!
Bring in the dude!

kellerb

You're gonna need a couch, pots and pans, a plunger, and some other stuff

mattstick

If your music is in iTunes, just navigate to the Computers icon on your AppleTV  (Top row, Far right) and have your laptop open and running the Music app, navigate your library from there.

The audio is encoded and decoded to stream it over your wifi network but there's no "degradation" per se, if you're playing lossless files it's unclear whether they're still lossless on the other end but it's not noticeable.

I personally wouldn't fuck with a smart remote, I think all the consumer level solutions are pretty clunky.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

emay

Apply TV plus soundbar should be good for a while.

I use my smartTV & PS4 for my media streaming but pretty much the same.

If I want to watch webcasts or free NBA games that don't have a PS4/SmartTV app, I just plug my laptop in with HDMI.

birdman

What you really should be asking is "what does Michelle want" because that's going to be where you end up
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: birdman on February 05, 2020, 06:24:14 PM
What you really should be asking is "what does Michelle want" because that's going to be where you end up

Truer words have not been said in this thread.
Spoken like a man of 20+ years marriage.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

Quote from: birdman on February 05, 2020, 06:24:14 PM

This is very true.
What does she want and can she/is she willing to operate your solution?

Also, don't sleep on that plunger.

WhatstheUse?

Thanks for the rec Matt - thanks for nothing the rest of y'all  :police:  :evil:

Other questions....

Computers - When do laptops die? My 2012 MacBook Pro performs fine but I fear issues.....looking to upgrade this year.....are desktops even a thing anymore or is a laptop + monitor the way to go for home use? I don't need anything insanely powerful, just some light home audio recording, which, even my current laptop has worked for...

TV's - I want a new one but have no clue regarding anything. I've been perfectly entertained by my 2010 Samsung something or other for 9 years so even the lowest end 4K smartTV is gonna blow my mind. Any advice?

Speakers - this may deserve it's own thread cuz it's the aspect I care about the most... but... I want some bad ass speakers for music. I'd ideally use them for my TV as well... but I'm not interested in surround sound stuff... just some killer stereo speakers.

Any other ideas to streamline an entertainment area welcome!
Bring in the dude!

mattstick

Desktops are definitely a thing, Mac Minis are great.

Can't really go wrong with TVs, if you buy a cheaper brand buy the warranty.

I ditched my surround setup for a 2.1 setup recently and I'm pleased with the decision.

I moved my Aperion Audio bookshelf speakers off of the AV cabinet and onto stands, pretty happy with the result. 
I'd recommend passive speakers + amp, rather than active/powered speakers.

Check our local kijiji / craigslist, there's usually some nice hifi stuff on there.

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

ph92

Did someone say computers?

Are you stuck on Mac? Or are you open to other Windows solutions too?
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mbw

mattstick

Quote from: Hicks on February 07, 2020, 07:05:54 PM
Did somebody say speakers?

Do you still have inventory from your Aperion Audio days? :)

Still really happy with my bookshelf pair. I flipped a set of Summer Tour 2010 merit badges to buy those from you.

Hicks

Quote from: mattstick on February 07, 2020, 11:46:30 PM
Quote from: Hicks on February 07, 2020, 07:05:54 PM
Did somebody say speakers?

Do you still have inventory from your Aperion Audio days? :)

Still really happy with my bookshelf pair. I flipped a set of Summer Tour 2010 merit badges to buy those from you.

It's dwindling, but yes, I do.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.