News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R18/W01: 06-24-1994 Murat Theater, Indianapolis, IN

Started by khalpin, March 20, 2020, 07:53:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 26, 2020, 10:55:45 AM
And just so everyone knows I believe this Antelope was on one of the Live Bait releases, or an FTA. I can't remember which, though probably an FTA.
Demand > Antelope were bonus tracks on the 6/22/94 release.

Also, I've kept this up to date as much as possible.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing missing.

Officially Released Soundboards

Caravan2001

Quote from: khalpin on March 26, 2020, 11:06:00 AM
And just so everyone knows I believe this Antelope was on one of the Live Bait releases, or an FTA. I can't remember which, though probably an FTA.

Also, I've kept this up to date as much as possible.  I'm pretty sure there's nothing missing.

Wow..Sick dude- thanks!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 26, 2020, 03:35:55 PM

Wow..Sick dude- thanks!

That is solid khalpin
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

anthrax

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on March 26, 2020, 10:23:38 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 26, 2020, 03:35:55 PM

Wow..Sick dude- thanks!

That is solid khalpin

:crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

emay

Gave this a spin this AM. I like the '93 show at this venue too.

Dsky - They come out strong for this one. Fire up Dsky right away, on point version. Might have to do with the beautiful venue they are in.
wilson - seems like intro is a little longer than normal, trey throws in the simpsons secret language in between riffs. They are having fun. Cool sounding feedback before the blat boom part.
ice - more solid playing. like the page/trey playing during the breakdown, page is jamming in.
fee - crowd sounds psyched. Crowd is so quiet during the megaphone verses.
All things reconsidered - nice playing. They should bust this out again
sloth - launch right into this one. solid version.
paul and silas - some great solos from trey. Love this song. The quiet playing during the last verse leads to a good unison finish.
horn - another solid version, the outro jam is nice.
reba - now we really cookin. fast paced, on point. love how quiet the jams start out in the early Rebas. Crowd seems so attentive. Interesting distortion, staccato jam in the beginning. Mike takes over after the first peak with some nice interplay with Trey. Start to hear the band really gel together with the jamming here with Trey taking more of a backseat until he locks in with fish and takes it to another peak. Great Reba.
Sample - standard

demand - love this song, glad I caught that 1 in Miami. Need another bust out of this one too.
Antelope - def gets out there with the feedback jam and just sporadic playing from the band. They break into a beautiful stride that page leads with some Trey glory chords! Lightspeed! Almost sounds like Trey was going to hit the DWD riff. Oh wait he does once throughout messing with that riff a little lol. Great peak into the Rocko part.
Halleys - solid version
curtain - oh sweet, interesting placement. Seems a tad faster than usual in the beginning. little stumble sounds like they forgot what part they were going into. solid finish though.
McGrupp - great transition. LOVE this tune. Haven't seen it since 2015. Good version here. page kills it during the jam/build up.
Simple - interesting placement here too. I dont remember hearing the verses with just fishman and singing that much. They bring the shreddage after that.
Sanity - moves somewhat smoothly into sanity. Everyone seemed to catch onto the transition. solid version
llama - more shreddage, 2nd set is ragin!
dog faced boy - Great chill out song, acoustic version is a plus
poor heart - alright alright dig the bluegrass tunes coming in the 2nd set too
cavern - acoustic cavern eh? I dig it.
carolina - hell yeah, always dig some acapella
DWD - back to some rock and roll and solid fist pumping during the trey solo riff.

rocky top - fuck yeah more bluegrass shreddage!

ytowndan

Set One:
Divided Sky – Great opener, and so well-played.  Crazy energy. 

Wilson – Early version, proto-Wilson chant.  I was thinking the same thing as PG.  I'd like to see video, I can almost picture Trey egging them on. 

Ice – Super solid version.  The energy in this set is off the chain.  Great work by Page.

Fee – Very quiet verses, mostly megaphone Trey and hi-hat action from Fish. 

All Things Reconsidered – Solid

Sloth – Nipple slicing goodness.

Paul and Silas – One of my favorite bluegrass tunes.  Very tight.

Horn – Perfect version?  Sounded like it to me.

Reba – The first time I listened to this was on a run the other night.  I hit this Reba around mile 5 or so and the jam coincided with a beautiful sunset and an ecstatic runner's high.  Pure Bliss.  Love the weird breakdown with vocals at the 8:00 mark, nice theme building from that point up through 10:00.  Nice Trey/Fish interplay around 11:00.  Beautiful peak.  Really stellar version.  The version from a week or so before this in KC is another one with some atypical jamming. 

Sweet Adeline – Shhhhh

Sample – Solid end to a great set.

Set Two:
Demand – Fun little tune.  Would be nice if they busted it out a bit more.

Antelope – Here we go!  Crazy tension around 7:00 and full liftoff around 9-10:00.  The theme that develops around 12:00 is bananas.  About a min later it starts to soar.  Disease tease.  Amazing version.

Halley's – Nice placement

Curtain – Well-played

McGrupp – Great version.  Page really shines on this version.

Simple – It's fun going back and hearing such an early version.  It has a more bizarre feel to it.  I kinda like it.  Melts away into...

Sanity – It's that kind of show!

Llama – Wow.  I wish they could still play it this fast. 

Dog Faced Boy – It was hard to really hear more than Trey's vocals.

Poor Heart – This one is coming through better.  Cool arrangement. Dig the melodica.

Cavern – Diggin' it!  Really cool version.  Alt lyrics are a hit. Would love to hear a better recording of this arangement.

Carolina – Nothing could be finer.

DWD – Rawk!

Encore:
Rocky Top - Perfect way to cap off the evening. 

I've listened several times over the last few days, mostly in the car, and there's not really a single low moment.  Other than the literal low (volume) moment for that acoustic mini-set, which I could only hear on the headphones just now.  Reba and Antelope were the clear highlights for me.  I also really dug the McGrupp.  Fantastic way to kick it off, Kevin! 
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

justjezmund

Wish I would have started gettin back on the paug a bit sooner. Perfect time for show club and this show Rawks also just sayin.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

khalpin

Quote from: justjezmund on March 28, 2020, 09:58:26 PM
Wish I would have started gettin back on the paug a bit sooner. Perfect time for show club and this show Rawks also just sayin.
Ain't nothing stopping you from hopping on. We've only just begun.

justjezmund

I'll hop on tail end. Thanks khal. I'll check the reviewed list and get back.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

ytowndan

Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

anthrax

i love the pace at which they rip through songs during this era.  confidence is the word that keeps coming to mind.  the it's ice breakdown is fantastic!  reba jam starts off very quiet but finds its way to a great peak.  this show is all about the antelope.  unbelievable stuff here!  they were raging so hard they passed on the obvious chance to get into dwd.  love it!

says here the attendance was 1,854 out of a 1,901 capacity on a $18.50 ticket.  i'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, as google says the capacity is 2,500.  at under 2,000 paid (on a friday night), it's one of the smaller shows of that summer.  they did over 8,000 in chicago a week earlier and over 12,000 in philly a week later...and obviously sold out msg later that year.  the murat '94 attendance numbers aren't much higher than the august 93 show there, which is odd for phish.  their numbers drastically increased every single time through chicago at that time period.  indy is a much smaller market, i guess.  they obviously loved the room as they chose to name a big cypress "street" after it.

justjezmund

Quote from: anthrax on April 01, 2020, 10:08:03 AM
i love the pace at which they rip through songs during this era.  confidence is the word that keeps coming to mind.  the it's ice breakdown is fantastic!  reba jam starts off very quiet but finds its way to a great peak.  this show is all about the antelope.  unbelievable stuff here!  they were raging so hard they passed on the obvious chance to get into dwd.  love it!

says here the attendance was 1,854 out of a 1,901 capacity on a $18.50 ticket.  i'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, as google says the capacity is 2,500.  at under 2,000 paid (on a friday night), it's one of the smaller shows of that summer.  they did over 8,000 in chicago a week earlier and over 12,000 in philly a week later...and obviously sold out msg later that year.  the murat '94 attendance numbers aren't much higher than the august 93 show there, which is odd for phish.  their numbers drastically increased every single time through chicago at that time period.  indy is a much smaller market, i guess.  they obviously loved the room as they chose to name a big cypress "street" after it.

Finally have two days off from work and after the sigma stream Im diving right in.  Just hit the reba now and I don't know why I never really dove into this show. 

justjezmund

Phish
   6/24/94 Murat Theatre, Indiapolis IN

Set I

Divided Sky:  Solid version and the opener really sets off a great tone.  Something about these summer 94 skys that always gets me.  I mean its no homdel but still really I have never seen any version half as good as anything from this year.  Solid playing, decent pause, cool peak as always.

Wilson :  I love hearing wilson with no/barely any crowd at the beginning.  Granted I really like that in the moment but on tape I love when page slams on the keys in the intro.  :rawk:

Its Ice :  The one two punch keeps hittin.  No flubs and a really cool funky section that is rad.  Keep it going.

Fee :  Pretty standard, but a standard Fee is still better than a lot of other things.  Energy keeps up.

All Things :  Time for some kookey mid set restroom tomfoolery.

Sloth :  Time to run back from said restrooms.   Down and dirty and right to the point.

Paul and Silas :  I wish there was still first set bluegrass that happened these days.  Always loved this aspect and was just too damn young.  Fun tune and well done.

Horn :   Horn is Horn,  nuff said.

Reba :  Oh yeah!  Just what I would expect in the beginning, no misses and some high intensity.  I just got lost in that little spacey segment for a sec.  Really cool.  Right after 11min the thing between Trey and John sound a little like jimi's machine gun and just keeps building to a rad first set peak.

Sweet Adaline : SHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sample :  Great playing and getting ready to dig into this second set. 

Set II

Demand :  Spend a weekend with no care.

Antelope :  Been waiting to hit this the whole review.  I love how someone just yelled SPLIT OPEN AND MELT in the beginning segment LOL.  Gears really rolling right before ten minutes and it doesn't stop.  Right around 13 trey and page get this awesome who shit like tommy for a minute that I wish would go a little longer but whatevs.  EWWW now its almost disease?!?!?! FUCK NOW IT IS DISEASE!!!!!!!  This type of playing is exactly why 94 is my preferred year to go to.  Holy shit!!! Energy, tricks, teases and this is just the start of the second set. 

Haleys Comet :  I love meatballs so you better get ready!!!!! 

Curtain :  Its fast, its great, I LOVE IT!!!

McGrupp :  Then this tasty thing gets dropped.  Just the mellow dark you need.

Sanity : I DON"T CARE IF THE WORLD EXPLODES!!!!!!!!

LLAMA :  Its like if 94 couldn't get any better then phish plays sanity>this.....  :WOAH:

Dog Faced Boy :  I cant hear you, SHHHH!!!!

Poor Heart :  Still can't hear you but would have been cool if I was there.

Cavern :  This is pretty cool.  Back yard West VA version of a phish tune.  Rad.

Carolina :  Fun times.

Disease :  Disease to end set II after that sick tease in lope?  This is just such a great cap.  Energy galore.

E

Rocky Top:  Classic rocky top encore.  Is there a better way to end a high end show?  Id beg you to find a better. 

So I have listened to the 93 counterpart for so many years I can not even remember.  All the while not listening to this one ever.  Halfway through the antelope I realized that it is the filler from LP 10 (duh) Love that version and since its been a bit it really was a surprise when all that stuff dumped on top of me. 

Classic 94 show, great pick Khal.