News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R18/W03: 07-18-1999 Oswego County Airport, Volney, NY

Started by Buffalo Budd, April 06, 2020, 08:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

SET 1: Punch You in the Eye, Farmhouse, Water in the Sky > Bathtub Gin, Back on the Train[1], If You Need a Fool[1], I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Beauty of My Dreams[1], The Moma Dance > Reba, Chalk Dust Torture

SET 2: Runaway Jim -> Free > Meatstick, Guyute, Axilla > Llama

SET 3: My Soul > Piper -> Prince Caspian > Wilson -> Catapult -> Icculus[2] -> Smoke on the Water Jam > Icculus, Quinn the Eskimo > Fluffhead

ENCORE: Harry Hood[3]

[1] Del McCoury Band.
[2] Narration featured Trey rambling about the negative aspects of television and the positive aspects of books.
[3] Accompanied by fireworks.

This was the second show of the Camp Oswego festival. Back on the Train through Beauty of My Dreams featured a guest appearance by the Del McCoury Band, who had played on the venue's side stage. During I'm Blue I'm Lonesome, Del McCoury broke a string, and a bluegrass breakdown ensued while the string was changed. Runaway Jim contained Super Bad teases from Trey. During Meatstick, the crowd tried to break the world record for most people dancing at one time. Trey explained the record that the band was trying to break while Sofi Dillof danced on stage and the Guinness staff videotaped the crowd. Part of the Piper intro was used on the studio Piper released on Farmhouse. Some musical chaos ensued between Catapult and Icculus (first since October 31, 1995, or 262 shows), where Trey rambled about the negative aspects of television and the positive aspects of books and Mike teased Meatstick. The ensuing Smoke on the Water Jam included Cat Scratch Fever teases. Subsequently, Icculus was followed by more narration and a tease of Miss You. The show closed with fireworks during Hood.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Caravan2001

Nice pick....Gonna take me a minute t make my way through a 3 setter, but I'll do my best.  Fun (and hot!) show to attend.  Great weekend.  Looking forward to re-hearing the second set, typically I reach for the 3rd.

Buffalo Budd

Yeah, sorry for the 3 setter but I had just listened to this a month back and reminisced how great a night this was.
The whole weekend was off the charts fun.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

khalpin

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on April 06, 2020, 07:12:14 PM
Yeah, sorry for the 3 setter but I had just listened to this a month back and reminisced how great a night this was.
The whole weekend was off the charts fun.
One of the highlights of that weekend for me was turning the car on with the AC on high and taking an hour nap.

khalpin

I thought I remember a good source for this finally popping up a few years back.  I have two and they're both kinda rough.  Can anyone recommend a good one?

emay

haha damn whole show clocks in at 4 hr 41 min. Going to have to break this up.

set 1
pyite - little choppy in the beginning but they are keeping it together.
farmhouse - hm alright. Interesting placement but it kinda fits
water in the sky - little rocky start to this one too but they pull it together and pull it off.
gin - alright now were getting started. nice bliss jam to begin. Gets a little dark for a daytime/evening set.
BOTT - Sweet sit in with Del McCoury Band! Ragtime BOTT!
If You Need A Fool - Fishman fits right in with the bluegrass tune. Nice tune
Im Blue Im Lonesome - Another great one. Fits perfectly with the set
Beauty of My Dreams - hell yeah! loving this Del sit in
moma - back to the funk! Pretty gooey intro with the wah. They seem less nervous and more fluid after that bluegrass sit in.
Reba - Aw yeah. solid playing on the composed sections. nice quiet jam, page laying down some nice rhodes/organ layers. Mike's playing is great. Page really shines too.
CDT - pretty rowdy closer. Trey goes off on the solo and extends it for a little longer than usual. Nice tension jam and then goes into what almost sounds like the IT CDT jam haha but Trey keeps going with it and takes it to a peak.

Set started getting good at the Del sit in and went up from there! Cant remember the last time I listened to this set.

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

PIE-GUY

Link to a good recording?? Is there an FM? Is the FoB on the spreadsheet as good as it gets?
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

Marmar

FOB is it....

Someplace I have DAT's of this.......totally different source....can't remember what they are.....lemme find em....

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

khalpin

FYI:
7/18/1999   Piper   mp3_256kb   Bonnaroo 365 - Bonnaroo.com download   http://www.mediafire.com/?ohqqga1y2x322
7/18/1999   Wilson > Catapult > Smoke on the Water > Icculus   FLAC   FTA #15 - 7/1/11 Superball IX (Sirius)   http://www.mediafire.com/?tee8c9vebngps
7/18/1999   Chalkdust Torture   mp3_256kb   House of Live Phish - SBIX Download   http://www.mediafire.com/?sa25uf629j9vf
7/18/1999   Runaway Jim>Free   FLAC   Live Bait #5   http://www.mediafire.com/folder/cfxc8jrkc4caw/Live_Bait_5

anthrax

anthrax

after the great went, i vowed to never again miss a phish festival.  this one proved to be difficult for me to get to, but where there's a will there's a way.  thanks to the internet and a chicago suburban "head" yahoogroup, i found space in a car with some unknown guys that were going from a town near mine.

i don't remember a thing about the campgrounds, or hanging out, or what i had to eat or drink.  i was there solely to take in the phishiness of the festival.  therefore my memories of the music and the stage area are very vivid.  i can still picture that field of over-sized marshmallows on sticks coming out of the ground.   

bathtub was 20 minutes of good phish music, not great phish music.  there wasn't any real peak.  this was my gripe with a lot of the 99 shows.  a lot of the long jams didn't take me to that place i wanted.  i missed the classic rock jukebox jams of 93, the melt your face and scare the shit out of you insanity of 94/95, and the funk of 97/98. 

i did love seeing del and the boys sit in and it helped to create a laid back daytime backyard party vibe.

the second set got a lot more exploratory, but nothing earth shattering.  i feel the same way about this jim as i do about the first set gin.  it's good phish.  but it eats up a lot of valuable phish time.  time that could be well spent doing more interesting things.

i guess camping at deer creek had conditioned me because the heat is not the first thing i think of when someone talks about oswego.  it's this 3rd set!  talk about more interesting things...this set was made for me.  it's as if they rewarded my efforts to get to this fest.  piper just comes out smoking!  then the stretch of heavy metal/silliness/classic rock song teases/bustouts that was just what the dr. ordered for me in 99.

i saw icculus at my 2nd show and immediately became infatuated with that song.  4 years later, here it was again.  in fact i've only missed 1 of the 7 times it's been played since 1995.  there's just a special connection there.  and to hear a heavy metal version with all the silliness.  that was the shit!  even quinn was a very rare treat at that time.  close it down with a classic fluff and hood with fireworks, and they did what they always seem to do.  leave you wanting more and more.

i would not have listened to this show if not for this club.  thank you.  great pick.

Marmar

I have FLAC's of the Del McCourey set from the small stage....

Lemme know if there is any interest.

antelope19

A favorite attended of mine for sure. And anthrax, you're crazy if the heat isn't the first thing you think about lol. Hanging out on that tarmac during the day was brutal and we were so unprepared. Ah to be young and dumb again.  Bobby(forgetting his paug handle atm) drove up from VA Beach, picked me up, and we rode up together. I remember traffic being kinda rough, but we obviously made it a party. This was my first festy and the experience played a large part in my desire to attend Cypress later that year. So glad I did both. Great memories. Thanks!
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lotta that comes from bad judgment

Marmar

there's 4 things I can never forget about this "fest"...

The fucking BRUTAL heat and humidity....
The mistake of downing about 40 hits of L....I had so much liquid in my hands it was running down my arms....nothing like tripping BALLS for over 40hrs in that heat......
The SLOW funk....
The ground covered in used needles all around our camp site.....