News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R18/W06: 11-07-91 Tipitina's New Orleans, LA

Started by emay, April 30, 2020, 04:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emay

Wanted to mix it up with an earlier show and thought this would be a good pick as we are coming up on 2nd weekend of virtual Jazzfest. The second set soundboard was part of the Katrina relief package on LivePhish

TIPITINA'S
New Orleans, LA
SET 1: Memories[1], Chalk Dust Torture, Foam, Sparkle > Cavern, It's Ice > You Enjoy Myself, The Landlady > Runaway Jim, I Didn't Know, Llama

SET 2: Brother > Bouncing Around the Room, My Sweet One > Reba, Tube > Horn > David Bowie[2], Take the 'A' Train[2], Hold Your Head Up Jam[2] -> Love You > Hold Your Head Up, Possum[3]

ENCORE: Fee, Rocky Top

ENCORE 2: Lawn Boy, Fire

[1] Without microphones.
[2] The Aquarium Rescue Unit.
[3] Four Charlie Chan signals and Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, Random Laugh, and Key Change signals.

Memories was performed without microphones. Bowie through HYHU featured members of The Aquarium Rescue Unit. Reba and Bowie contained DEG teases, and A Train included a Dixie tease from Trey. Possum contained Barney Miller theme and Can't Turn You Loose teases in the intro and four Charlie Chan signals and Simpsons, Oom Pa Pa, Random Laugh, and Key Change signals. Rocky Top was announced as the ARU's favorite song. The second set of this show was remastered and released as part of the archival New Orleans Relief Download release to benefit victims of Hurricane Katrina. New Orleans Relief is available at LivePhish.com with all proceeds benefiting the Tipitina's Foundation and the New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation. The Aquarium Rescue Unit was the opening act.

anthrax

Caravan2001

Nice one dude.  Listened to Anthrax' pick finally, need to review that and then dig into this after reviewing my pick.

anthrax

Every song in the first set was short and extremely well played.  Trey rips pretty hard during YEM, but that wasn't anything unusual for the time.  In '91/'92, YEM was making the transition from a set 1 song to the set 2 monster we all know and love.  It was nice to hear them have a little fun with a "salami" based vocal jam.  I wonder how much of an effect ARU opening the show had on the Phish sets?  When you have a raging opening band, it always forces you to kick it up a notch as a headliner.  Did Phish keep it close to the vest and try to stay tight because they followed ARU?  Or did they want to play a standard set for the crowd because they knew the 2nd set was going to be exploratory?  Or am I overthinking it?

More tightness for the beginning of the 2nd set, a nice Reba, a super short Tube, then the Bowie madness.  I appreciate ARU.  I have a couple of shows.  I have the big album.  I like the songs, but they are just to "weird jazzy" for me.  This Bowie falls in that category.  Instead of a rocking version, it's just crazy and weird.  I don't love the Oteil scat.  I did enjoy the ending, but I found myself thinking a lot about the logistics of this show while listening to the 2nd set.  This was Phish's 3rd show at Tipitina's, and they clearly respected the room.  However, it doesn't sound very crowded.  In fact, they played there as late as March of '93, which just shows you the New Orleans market wasn't a huge Phish base.

Then I imagined being at this show.  Imagine having your first or second Phish show be in tiny club with a ton of production and seeing those musician packed on that stage.  Just a bunch of musical geniuses being weird.  Jimmy would become essential to WSP.  Oteil would carry the ABB and Dead on for years.  Col. Bruce pushed the jam genre forward if not created it, and of course Phish!  While I didn't love the ARU sit in musically and wouldn't choose to listen to it frequently, I can totally appreciate this snapshot of jamband history.

The show ends with more ripping tunes.  Sometimes it's nice when the guests leave and it's just Phish again.  Fire is such a smoking way to leave them wanting more!

While listening to this show I was wondering why they didn't remaster the first set.  Then I realized they released this set 2 with the Jazzfest '96 set, so I went right into that one.  Is there a better way to open an outdoor phish festival slot than with Ya Mar? 

emay

memories - cool opening
cdt - some tight 91 playing in the first set as anthrax stated
foam - tight version. page does a nice break down/solo. trey has some great staccato playing. perfect ending.
sparkle - another straight forward version
cavern - gets loose. Solid version.
its ice - pretty standard quick ice here.
YEM - woah some serious trey shreddage here. I am not sure how his fingers move so fast for part of that peak.
landlady - interesting right after YEM but solid playing
runaway jim - good classic one here.
i didnt know - typical
llama - extra 91 shreddage.

brother - solid opener, they should do this more for 2nd set opener.
bouncin - alright alright
my sweet one - faster than I remember
reba - pretty awesome reba here. composed section is perfect, jam starts out quiet and peaks nice. Crowd seems more involved during this set.
tube - short and sweet.
horn - nice
bowie - madness for sure. I am not sure why they chose Bowie for ARU to sit in to jam, funky bitch would have worked perfect in this scenario. Seems like ARU has never heard bowie or didnt really go over the sections before this but they do add some flavor. The jam starts out typically and the Oteil vocal skats are kinda meh but they reach a couple grooves that are sick. It breaks down into a distortion section where it almost sounds like Trey is teasing DEG. ARU def likes to create the dissonant sounds. It kinda works for the 2nd peak when trey explodes out of it, he seems to want to get back to the structure more though.
a train - goofy
HYHU > Bike > HYHU - almost like a swing lounge version of HYHU and then some ARU jamming toying with the Bike theme. The crowd sounds into at this point in the AUD I am listening to. ARU trombone duel after.
Possum - woah another shredding version. Teases all over the place.

2 encore show is pretty awesome, they must have been loving it. The ending to Fire has some extra sauce.
Tipitina's is such a small venue it would be so wild to see everyone from ARU and Phish up there on that stage. Loved that venue the one time I went. The ARU is an interesting sit in for the band, not the worst but not sure they fit with their sound that much. Wonder why they choose Bowie too but would have been awesome to be there either way.

Buffalo Budd

Lounge show, awwww yeah!
SET 1:
Memories – Short and sweet.
Chalk Dust Torture – Tempo seems slow for an early version, sort of lackluster version.
Foam – Foam is such a beautiful song and this one is just perfect.
Sparkle – Sing along Phish and similar to CDT, not as fast as some versions from early Phish. >
Cavern – Cool staccato intro. Always a welcome treat in a set.
It's Ice – Nailed it. Page wails on the Yamaha in the jam >
You Enjoy Myself – Now we're cooking. Jam starts out with no keys, just Trey noodling. As the distortion and volume picks up, so does the intensity. Organ slips in and they are rolling until an extended D&B.
The Landlady – This tune feels very appropriate for this type of venue. >
Runaway Jim – Cool scales by Trey at first but the jam doesn't really lift off.
I Didn't Know – This set is all over the place. Cool song selection but not much flow to it.
Llama – Rage!!! Great set closer.

SET 2:
Brother – Nice start to the 2nd. Brother was new in 91 and had tons of energy. Really love the interplay of Trey and Page on this one. This jam is just frantic for a brief moment. >
Bouncing Around the Room – More sing along Phish.
My Sweet One – Page has a really short but ripping solo in this >
Reba – You can tell Trey is in the zone, really enunciates the lyrics. Highlight of the show but Rebas often are for me. Cool tease of Dave's Energy Guide early in the jam. Really cool to see the beginnings of how this song morphs into what we were seeing in the later 90s.
Tube – Almost felt like Trey was going faster than the rest of the band at parts. Page tears a new one on this version. >
Horn – Sublime version >
David Bowie – Cool trippy intro with the ARU joining the band. Another DEG tease early on. Bowie is a bold choice for a guest sit in, let alone multiple people sitting in. Gets pretty distracting during the composed section. Jam starts off a tad cacophonous but gets into a solid groove for a brief moment. Oteil doing his thing for a bit and then everyone taking a run at it, sometimes simultaneously. I prefer my Bowies with just the guys so this didn't impress me much.
Take the 'A' Train – More Oteil at the start, the Trey with some tasty licks and a Dixie tease while the percussion team enjoys a chance to shine.
HYHU > Love You > HYHU – Now this was actually cool, more enjoyable than your typical HYHU with ARU accompanying.
Possum – Boat load of signals and teases early in this one. The Barney Miller theme prevails into the jam and it really heats up.
ENCORE:
Fee – Such a great tune and in the encore slot. Flawless and no megaphone ; )
Rocky Top – Makes the encore spot in 3 of the 6 shows reviewed this round.

ENCORE 2:
Lawn Boy – There's the lounge Page I expected. I didn't think they could play here without this showing up.
Fire – Short but a rippin' solo to send the crowd on their way out into NOLA.

Great show albeit nothing too out there to speak of. Loved the YEM, Reba, Brother and Possum.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

justjezmund

Ive been listening to this here and there recently.  I fucking love 91.  Imagine just bumping into this band in 91?  LOL.

Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

khalpin

Memories - I wonder what the locals thought about this.  Sounds like a ton of phans in the crowd by the applause.
Chalk Dust - Kicking things off with some rawk.  A little slower than later versions.
Foam - In a familiar slot.  Tight!  A nice Page solo on the electric keyboard followed by a pretty rippin' solo by Trey.  Love it.
Sparkle - Fall apart.
Cavern - Standard.
Ice - I think that was Trey that messed up.  They came out unscathed, though.  Interesting breakdown section.  I guess the drums didn't stop for it back in the day.  I don't listen to pre-93 shows very often.  That was cool.
YEM - Page's organ solo is HOT!  Great jam on this one.  Trey's killing it.  The B&D section goes on for quite a while. 
Landlady - Wish I would've caught one of these.
Runaway Jim - Nothing out of the ordinary, not that that's a bad thing.
I Didn't Know - Fishman ensues
Llama - Tasty shreddage

Brother - I will never complain about this being in the setlist. 
Bouncing - Standard
My Sweet One - Good stuff
Reba - Tight composed section.  HEAVY reverb on Fish's snare to start the jam.  There's no slow build to this one as it's peaking in about a minute and a half and we're onto the whistling a minute and a half later.
Tube - Awesome! Nice and fast. 
Horn - Trey nails it.  Solid version.
Bowie - Took me a second to realize there were guests onstage, I was quite confused.  Vocal jam in Bowie?  It's at the very least quite interesting.  Not a huge fan of the initial jam but once the vocal jam ends it gets much more enjoyable. Little bit of a Santana jam there? 
Take the A-Train - More vocal jam/scatting.  I like the Trey solo, though.
HYHU > Love You - That was rough.  Fishman apologizes at the end.  I kinda feel it's warranted.  Someone from the crowd yells for Reba.  Must've missed the first set.
Possum - Pretty rippin' version all around that's chock full of secret language signals. 

Fee - I like it in the encore slot, which actually was where it was during my last Phish show at the Baker's Dozen.
Rocky Top - Perfect encore tune.

LawnBoy - Lounge band action.
Fire - Some fire and shreddage to send 'em home happy.

I enjoyed listening to that.  I probably haven't heard it since the original release and certainly never heard the first set.  Highlights were the Reba and Possum.  Bowie gets bonus points for its uniqueness.

Caravan2001

Still need to get to this one and my own.  Been crazy times with work last 6 weeks so hoping to catch up soon now that I have a new job and 3 weeks off in between.

Caravan2001

This will be a short and sweet review. Really enjoyed this show.  It's one I have never heard, so it was great to listen to.  Got through most of it during a 2+ hour Costco shop, the same that somewhat bearable.  Foam is first highlight for me.  Really well played.  YEM also struck me as particularly hot and I love the mid-first set placement.  Great version and maybe show highlight for me.  Llama also crushed.  Second set was great too.  Awesome Reba, great jam. Rare 91 Tube, I like the earlier short versions.  Was chasing Tube so hard during this era.  Excellent early-is Horn.  Good Bowie and A-Train is always welcome.  Love me some 91 Possums, it's a great year for this tune.  Excellent 4 song encore too.  Great pick, I love revisiting some 91 stuff.  Really enjoyed it- thanks!

anthrax

Quote from: Caravan2001 on May 26, 2020, 03:07:36 PM
This will be a short and sweet review. Really enjoyed this show.  It's one I have never heard, so it was great to listen to.  Got through most of it during a 2+ hour Costco shop, the same that somewhat bearable.  Foam is first highlight for me.  Really well played.  YEM also struck me as particularly hot and I love the mid-first set placement.  Great version and maybe show highlight for me.  Llama also crushed.  Second set was great too.  Awesome Reba, great jam. Rare 91 Tube, I like the earlier short versions.  Was chasing Tube so hard during this era.  Excellent early-is Horn.  Good Bowie and A-Train is always welcome.  Love me some 91 Possums, it's a great year for this tune.  Excellent 4 song encore too.  Great pick, I love revisiting some 91 stuff.  Really enjoyed it- thanks!

you spent over 2 hours in a costco?  that's an amazing feat.  that place drives me nuts, but they have great deals on booze and beer.  that's pretty much all i can handle to shop for there! :hereitisyousentimentalbastard :hereitisyousentimentalbastard

justjezmund

Tipitina's

11/7/91

Set I

Memories - people get hype when phish does acapella.

CDT - keep that hype train going. That great 91 energy.

Foam - nothing but the hits.

Sparkle -  laugh and laugh and fall apart. Great first set song.

Cavern - are 91 set lists kinda predictable? Yes. Are they also awesome? Yes.

It's ice - well done, nothing really else to say.

Yem - Solid intro no flubs but then again it's 91 there really isn't any. Nice energy through till DnB. Then some nice back and forth from mike and page.

Landlady - I wouldn't be mad if this came back into the lineup at all.

Jim -  sets just not letting up.

I didn't know - nothing like a guy in a dress playing a vacuum cleaner.

Llama - raging set closer.

Set II

Brother - right back raging out the gate.

Bouncin - pretty standard.

My sweet one - didn't wanna let the pace slow down too much. PLAY IT LEO!!

Reba - not that I don't like Rebas before 93 but they honestly don't do much more than the album at all. That being said this one does have a nice little peak.

Tube - man what a great way to rock out 3 min.

Horn - love this.

Bowie - pretty cool vocal jam is a nice surprise and the DEG is pretty easily spotted in this. Really rocking outro.

A Train - makes sense to bust out the jazz at a jazz fest venue. Love the bee bop and scatting in this too.

Hyhu>love you>hyhu - title says it all.

Possum - solid way to end the set.

E

Fee - nice to see this in the encore spot.

Rocky Top - even better.

E II

Lawn Boy - man getting faked out in the encore here in 91.

Fire -  pretty fire show, makes sense to finish with this one.

Had a lot of fun listening to this one. I had never listened. This will be kept in mind when I need a nice early 90s show for sure.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.