News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

khalpin

This was the only show I did from Fall '97 and actually the only '97 show other than the Great Went.  Had a blast and I thoroughly enjoyed the new funk sound and the Tube bustout.  I remember hearing about the 12/7 Tube and how funky it was.  Is it possible that I actually heard a tape before the show?  Was there a radio broadcast of the 12/7 show?  Or maybe I'm thinking of the radio broadcast of Yes on 12/7/97 which was also a great show.  Anyway, I had an infatuation with trying to catch Albany shows back then and tried to hit as many as I could. 

The auds for that show are so boomy.  Would love to hear a SBD of that Mike's.  It's such a fun listen.

ETA: Also, as special and spontaneous as the glowstick war was at the Went, the glowsticks during Hood was completely nuts.  Kind of trite nowadays, but it really was insane during the Hood.

jedifunk

got around to the Albany shows on my way to Tel Aviv the other day.

12/12 ... always such a sleeper show. solid middle-third show on the tour. opening bitch->2001->camel walk is thick. solid tweezer->train song combo. 2nd set is saucy. one big jam flow. the segue from saw it again->piper is well executed and the post Caspian jam is fire.

12/13 is just a sick sick show. possibly my favorite show of tour, although objectively it falls behind a few of the more behemoths of the tour, but definitely top-third from the tour.

opening yamar is really really well done. vultures explores a bit which is awesome and the tube is excellent. the entire 2nd set is so cohesive and shows where the band is at at this point. the ghost is a very mature version that goes through the gears nicely and the -> mikes is dope asf.

Dude jam rightly steals all the plaudits and is probably my favorite moment of the entire tour, from a memory perspective. and this hood, so underrated. an excellent improvisational version that really moves outside hood for a bit.

top top show.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

after a thorough re-examination of the tour of the last month a few shows shifted in my head, but the top-third remained unchanged.

1. 11/28
2. 12/13
3. 11/21
4. 11/17
5. 12/11
6. 12/6
7. 11/22

from my personal viewpoint having done the entire fall 97 tour, these are my favorites, in order.

objectively speaking, the order would be different... and things moved around a lot in the lower middle and upper lower classes.

overall this tour is just fire. every night provided note worthy moments and as a collective I'll die on the hill that this is the best tour/best month of phish ever.

as noted on the podcast many times, the funk is what people think of on this tour, but it was truly only one component of the style and didn't set the tone imho. if anything I think its the spacier moments that tended to evolve out of the funk that are the most remarkable from this tour. the way the band was listening to each other and the patience on display is just incredible.

they truly destroyed America on this tour
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

PIE-GUY

Looks like we're about to get a Phall 97 archival release!

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

I'm still waiting on a 1997 box-set! Any tour, the whole year, just a few shows... Give me more cow phonque!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Bobafett

West valley 11.14.97.   Don't think I've heard it.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Bobafett on November 13, 2023, 06:11:12 PMWest valley 11.14.97.  Don't think I've heard it.

me either. Classic 4-song second set! 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mistercharlie

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 13, 2023, 07:40:32 PM
Quote from: Bobafett on November 13, 2023, 06:11:12 PMWest valley 11.14.97.  Don't think I've heard it.

me either. Classic 4-song second set!
The Gumbos and 2001 in the first set are pretty great in addition to the second set.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

cactusfan

I'm all for any fall '97. This show is pretty hot. Twist is the standout in a great second set. Though the next show, the 16th, has an even better second set. I might have picked that one to release first. But, once again, the Phish organization has failed to check with me before releasing shows. Sigh.

emay

Nice 11/14 is pretty solid. Agree on the 1rst set gumbo. 
Second set is just nonstop so can't hate on that. 

Bobafett

I listened to the first set and it is, indeed, a very quality set.  I could hear some Trey laughs as gumbo started getting cow-funked.  Mike said yes.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Marmar

Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.