News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

And I just finished up 02/16/97. 3 shows in one day! Now, I had no Teams meetings or calls today, which isn't always the norm, but I figure I can get at least two shows a day in.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Quote from: mistercharlie on April 18, 2022, 04:28:32 PMAnd I just finished up 02/16/97. 3 shows in one day! Now, I had no Teams meetings or calls today, which isn't always the norm, but I figure I can get at least two shows a day in.

Nice!  July 3rd on here...30 minute Ghost to open the 2nd set!

mistercharlie

I managed to make it through 3 & 1/2 shows today! 2/21, 2/22, 2/23 and set I of 2/25.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

less than a month until the 25th anniversary of the "phish destroys america" tour.  who's up for listening to each fall show on (or damn near) it's anniversary date?

PIE-GUY

Undermine will be releasing an episode for each one on its anniversary. Should be a fun project. I'll try! 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

natronzero

I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

anthrax

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 15, 2022, 01:40:45 PMUndermine will be releasing an episode for each one on its anniversary. Should be a fun project. I'll try!

i'm not really a podcast guy, but i am really enjoying the new season (and new format) of undermine, maybe because the episodes are a bit shorter.  i love listening to paluska and sands tell stories of the old days.  sorry, rj, i haven't gotten to yours yet.   

anthrax

fall tour '97 unofficially starts today...and suddenly they all have beards!  i recall watching this one live and when they went into Mike's it was almost enough to get me to jump in the car and head to vegas.  tour begins on 11/13.  be ready.

imagine seeing this, digging farmhouse, and either buying Slip, Stitch, and Pass or grabbing a ticket to one of the upcoming shows.  they weren't exactly giving you a good preview of what you'd get...or were they

khalpin

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: anthrax on November 07, 2022, 05:56:37 PM

imagine seeing this, digging farmhouse, and either buying Slip, Stitch, and Pass

Pretty much exactly what happened to me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

anthrax

QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 11/13/1997
THOMAS & MACK CENTER
Las Vegas, NV
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Black-Eyed Katy[1], Theme From the Bottom, Train Song, Split Open and Melt, Beauty of My Dreams, My Soul, You Enjoy Myself, Character Zero

SET 2: Stash, Punch You in the Eye > Prince Caspian > Bouncing Around the Room, Mike's Song > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove

ENCORE: Loving Cup

[1] Debut.

This show marked the debut of Black-Eyed Katy. The jam in Mike's Song included Born on the Bayou teases and Weekapaug contained Dave's Energy Guide and Can't You Hear Me Knocking teases.

Stash is on LiveBait 18 for those playing along with me.  Here we go!

emay

susep

The 11/13/97 Stash is one of the best jams of the entire tour. 

natronzero

Alrighty, I'm freshly listened.
Chalkdust to start is standard-great, solid high energy playing. No hesitation or fumbling, and they ramp up nicely with little tension-release layers.
I love BEK. Doubt it will ever happen but I'd love it if they brought it back without lyrics once in a blue moon. Probably was really cool in person.
Theme is good, not facemelty, but good.
I like Train Song. Album version.
Nice dark '97 Split.
Beauty and My Soul are standard, but tight and sound good.
Pretty unique YEM. No bass and drums and it seems like it's toying with that slow repetitive funk that'll keep coming back all tour. Kind of dark and slow I guess. Standard, rockin' Character Zero.
Stash is great. Very moody and travels quite a ways as it goes along.
Good PYITE. Pretty good Caspian that actually jams. (I've listened to that '95 New Haven show a couple times since Friday, with the sub-3-minute Caspian opener and literally no jam and it struck me that I can kind of understand why some people decided they hated it right away. I do like Caspian, but it's all about the jam, and this one does.) Bouncing is standard.
Really liked this Mike's Groove. Fiery first jam, second jam that leads into some nice melodic stuff. Hydrogen is pretty sloppy, but the Weekapaug that follows is super hot!
Decent Loving Cup.

I wasn't super familiar with this show. There are only a few jams that I'd probably go back to, but all things considered, a really really strong tour opener with basically nothing I'd complain about.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

gainesvillegreen

Listened to 11/13 yesterday as well, also enjoyed the BEK, the Stash (almost too spacey, but love how they reign it all back in), and funnily, I, too, thought "So this is what a well solo'ed Caspian sounds like"  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar

These Fall 97 Themes are so good.
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.