News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mistercharlie

Quote from: anthrax on November 16, 2022, 05:21:57 PMthe first denver show is great!  excellent first set.  forgot how much i missed BEK.  the lyrics to moma are kinda dumb.  bring it back.  loved the guest sit in tunes.  2nd set is hot!  what a hell of a 2 night run  :beerbang:

I want a nice BEK -> Moma -> BEK!

But yeah, I miss BEK. Phish instrumental tunes are my favorite.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

jedifunk

behind schedule already!  :frustrated:

just ran through 11/16 ... man that -> from Timber to Simple is magical! perfectly executed! :beers:

I feel like the first 3 shows of the tour, they are just nibbling around the edges. plenty of transcendent moments to be sure, but overall still searching.

11/17 is the clear demarcation and from there on out its a literal game of oneupsmanship each night.

also really like this Hood, and I'm not really a hood guy.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

mistercharlie

It's Live Phish vol. 11 day, baby!!!

Any show with a 5-song 1st set is going to be a banger!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

Man was that show good. And as an added bonus, I forgot that the Wolfman's -> Makisupa from the only Fall '97 show I got to see, 11/19/97, are filler on Live Phish 11! And Amazon even has the I Saw It Again soundcheck from 11/16/97 as added filler.

cactusfan

I've listened to the 11/17 Tweezer so many times it essentially functions as the "studio" Tweezer in my brain. It's not the best Tweezer ever, but it is, in some sense, a perfect Tweezer.

jam>

11/16 and 11/17 were the only two shows I caught this tour. The shows were good, and so was the acid.

emay

Quote from: jam> on November 17, 2022, 02:06:14 PM11/16 and 11/17 were the only two shows I caught this tour. The shows were good, and so was the acid.
Hell yeah! 
About to fire up 11/17. Wasn't there a snow storm one of the days? Been snowing all day here today. 

emay

Forgot about that funky gumbo in SLC. Not as good as the star lake or desert sky ones earlier in the year but nice.
Also the Hood from 11/16 is a nice version. Page crushes.

anthrax

QuoteMONDAY 11/17/1997
MCNICHOLS ARENA
Denver, CO
SET 1: Tweezer, Reba[1], Train Song, Ghost > Fire

SET 2: Down with Disease[2] -> Olivia's Pool > Johnny B. Goode -> Jesus Just Left Chicago, When the Circus Comes, You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: Character Zero

[1] No whistling.
[2] Unfinished.

Reba did not have the whistling ending and Disease was unfinished. Ghost included a Super Bad (James Brown) tease and Johnny B. Goode contained DEG teases. This show was officially released as Live Phish 11.

jam>

Quote from: emay on November 17, 2022, 05:02:54 PMHell yeah!
About to fire up 11/17. Wasn't there a snow storm one of the days? Been snowing all day here today.

Good question. Not sure about the snow. Omaha 96 and Portsmouth NH 12/91 are the "snow" shows I think of.

emay

I thought I remember reading that in a show review but it could have been 11/16. Either way listening to the Trey podcast on this show now. Good insight on tour and year. Def a great period of the phish world.  :music:

jedifunk

Quote from: emay on November 17, 2022, 05:02:54 PM
Quote from: jam> on November 17, 2022, 02:06:14 PM11/16 and 11/17 were the only two shows I caught this tour. The shows were good, and so was the acid.
Hell yeah!
there was definitely snow during these days in Denver. I remember cooking at a park near the venue on 11/15 and there was snow everywhere. I think we used it to boil water, lol
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

sunrisevt

12/28/92 I had to drive through an ice storm  to get to New Haven from VT. My homeboy riding shotgun carved a pipe and a monopod for his video camera en route. He got some blurry footage from the tenth row or so first set, then was discovered by security and thrown out during the second set opener.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

gainesvillegreen

re: 11/16/97 - I love how the crowd is completely hypnotized by the Timber so when the Simple arrives it caught everyone off guard! That was great. I'm in two minds about the Hood.

On the one hand, I like it fine, and very much in line with the Weekapaug (11/13) and Slave (11/14). On the other, I think at moments Trey is a little let down by the other members - the jam gets stuck in one key (A Major I think) while Trey is wailing as the band tries to build tension, but Trey would have been better served - i.e. Trey's melodic lines - if the band would have stuck with the regular chord progression. Not a bad Hood, but could've been better.

re: 11/17/97 - not much more to add to what has already been said other than, again like the Hampton Slave, this 11/17 Reba suffers by comparison with its' Dayton counterpart (for many non plus ultra) which is a shame as this Reba has much to offer. We would talk about this Reba more if Dayton hadn't happened.

Really enjoying revisiting this tour. On the off day I listened to the gem that is Alpine 1997 to remind myself what a great show from a great year that was.....
Dysfunction and itemized lists of people's failures are where it's at.

jam>

Quote from: sunrisevt on November 18, 2022, 09:57:27 AM12/28/92 I had to drive through an ice storm  to get to New Haven from VT. My homeboy riding shotgun carved a pipe and a monopod for his video camera en route. He got some blurry footage from the tenth row or so first set, then was discovered by security and thrown out during the second set opener.
I was a that one too. I clearly don't remember snowstorms at shows that happened 25 or 30 years ago! Oh ya, I do remember leaving Albany 95 and there being a bunch of snow.