News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

1997 Appreciation Thread

Started by anthrax, June 03, 2020, 10:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffalo Budd

What a time to be on tour. I so tried to convince my GF to make the Worcester shows happen for my bday but to no avail and all my friends were pretty broke. I've been making my way through it here and there while working like you mentioned Mr C and would love to have time to take a deep dive.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

jam>

Quote from: jedifunk on December 08, 2022, 11:24:48 AMI think I'm in the minority on 12/7... its a good show no doubt, but I'm not sure its even top 10 on this tour. its so over-hyped imho.

ac/dc->psycho killer is amazing, and I love the tube, tube jam... ice->swept->steep->ice is decently cool, but otherwise its all kinda meh to me... wolfmans->boogie is a novelty, but not musically interesting.

I get what you're saying, but were you tired from the night before? I have a fairly long list of great shows I didn't fully appreciate because of fatigue (12/31/93, 12/30/97, and 9/30/00 come to mind)

jedifunk

Quote from: anthrax on December 08, 2022, 01:07:29 PMWhen evaluating this show do you take into consideration the hugeness of the boogie bust out?  Just wondering. It was a big deal, but maybe faded quickly because that song permanently re-entered the rotation.
in the moment I definitely did. but over the years, its lost its wow factor, and again feels sorta like a novelty.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

Quote from: jam> on December 08, 2022, 09:55:10 PM
Quote from: jedifunk on December 08, 2022, 11:24:48 AMI think I'm in the minority on 12/7... its a good show no doubt, but I'm not sure its even top 10 on this tour. its so over-hyped imho.

ac/dc->psycho killer is amazing, and I love the tube, tube jam... ice->swept->steep->ice is decently cool, but otherwise its all kinda meh to me... wolfmans->boogie is a novelty, but not musically interesting.

I get what you're saying, but were you tired from the night before? I have a fairly long list of great shows I didn't fully appreciate because of fatigue (12/31/93, 12/30/97, and 9/30/00 come to mind)
at the time (dec 97) I was just loving every moment of the tour. it was all just the top shelf stuff.

I think over the years though this show in particular has waned for me. just don't reach for it all that often. outside of the bag->pk and tube, I don't replay much of this one.
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

anthrax

Anyone know why 12.7 circulated so heavily? 

Gumbo72203

Quote from: anthrax on December 08, 2022, 01:07:29 PMWhen evaluating this show do you take into consideration the hugeness of the boogie bust out?  Just wondering. It was a big deal, but maybe faded quickly because that song permanently re-entered the rotation.

not that my opinion means anything because i wasnt' there, but as a Phish-obsessed stat nerd i basically never think about how 12/7/97 was the Boogie On bust out.  I sort of consider it to be always there i guess.  It's a weird thing haha
"Just drink some water, and breathe through your nose."  -Slim, 3/7/09

Quote from: redrum on April 04, 2010, 07:45:51 PM
%% with alternated lyrics about a 1995 jeep cherokee that was also sacraficed on this tour.

Quote from: blatboom on November 04, 2012, 08:46:54 PM
I think I got it but he's such a spaz he'll probably never open this thread again

mattstick

I had great seats for 12/6 and 12/7, 12/6 I was 2nd row in front of Page and 12/7 about 15 rows back closer to Mike.

Chatting with the guy next to me pre-show on 12/7 he seemed very wasted, and after a couple minutes of conversation he asked me if I wanted some K, lol.

Well AC/DC Bag starts up and he sits down and does his thing, and as the band segues into Psycho Killer I look over and dude is just passed out. He slept the whole set, through setbreak and didn't wake up until Possum. I checked his pulse at setbreak to make sure he was alive. I've long wondered if that guy tells people he was at the show.

Like most bust out shows 12/7 doesn't flow like other Fall 97s, but it's got highlights all over the place, and that rare mid-2nd set Reba still delivers.

anthrax

QuoteTUESDAY 12/09/1997
BRYCE JORDAN CENTER, PENN STATE UNIVERSITY
State College, PA
SET 1: Mike's Song > Chalk Dust Torture, My Soul, Stash > I Am Hydrogen > Weekapaug Groove, Dogs Stole Things, Beauty of My Dreams, Horn > Loving Cup

SET 2: Julius > Simple -> Timber (Jerry the Mule) > Contact, Axilla > Harry Hood

ENCORE: Fire

Trey teased Buried Alive in CDT. Hood included a brief return to the Axilla theme.

jedifunk

12/9 - a sleeper show to me. its probably still mid/lower tier for fall 97, but man, this simple.

I think I said earlier in this thread, but this simple is probably my #1 go-to phish jam. its not the best jam, or even my favorite jam, but I reach for it soooo often.

the mikes to open is surprisingly well done, and the stash->hydrogen->paug section is brilliant.

but back to the simple ... love how it does a major change out of simple, and into this beautifully delicate section, into space and then the laid back, semi-funky section is just amazing ... before back into space and a bowie/maze thing that faked everyone.

so fucking good. I literally spun it 3 times today.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

anthrax

QuoteTHURSDAY 12/11/1997
ROCHESTER WAR MEMORIAL
Rochester, NY
SET 1: Punch You in the Eye > Down with Disease -> Maze, Dirt, Limb By Limb, Loving Cup > Rocky Top

SET 2: Drowned -> Roses Are Free[1] -> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars > Ghost -> Down with Disease -> Johnny B. Goode

ENCORE: Waste

[1] Phish debut.

This show marked the Phish debut of Roses Are Free. BBFCFM was for the first time since August 6, 1996 (118 shows). Footage from this show appeared in the film Bittersweet Motel.

Love this DwD!!

anthrax

love this show.  might be my favorite complete show thus far.

anthrax

QuoteFRIDAY 12/12/1997
PEPSI ARENA
Albany, NY
SET 1: Funky Bitch -> Also Sprach Zarathustra > Camel Walk, Taste > Bouncing Around the Room, Tweezer > Train Song > Character Zero

SET 2: Saw It Again[1] -> Piper > Swept Away > Steep > Prince Caspian > Jam -> Izabella > Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Guyute, Run Like an Antelope

[1] Extended jam.

Trey teased Super Bad in 2001. Saw It Again contained an extended jam. Antelope contained a Buried Alive tease from Trey. The opening act was J. Willis Pratt & We're Bionic.

2 more to go.  this piper is a rager!

mattstick

I tripped so hard at 12/12/97, the Guyute/Antelope encore saved my life.

anthrax

QuoteSATURDAY 12/13/1997
PEPSI ARENA
Albany, NY
SET 1: Ya Mar[1] > Axilla > Theme From the Bottom, Ginseng Sullivan, Strange Design, Sample in a Jar, Vultures, Tube, Good Times Bad Times

SET 2: NICU > Punch You in the Eye > Ghost > Mike's Song[2] -> Llama, When the Circus Comes, Weekapaug Groove -> Catapult -> Weekapaug Groove, Harry Hood

ENCORE: My Soul, The Squirming Coil

[1] Unfinished.
[2] Chants to "Bring in the Dude."

Ya Mar was unfinished. Mike's Song included Foxy Lady quotes from Fish and some memorable vocal interplay from the band that included a chant to "Bring in the Dude." During Hood, Trey asked Chris Kuroda to turn off the lights for a Blackout Jam and the audience responded with a shower of green glowsticks. The opening act was J. Willis Pratt & We're Bionic.

GBL

Quote from: mattstick on December 13, 2022, 07:47:38 AMI tripped so hard at 12/12/97, the Guyute/Antelope encore saved my life.

these are the stories we really want to hear
If this is love, I'm never going home..