News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Dual slot card to single slot?

Started by Marmar, September 12, 2020, 09:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marmar

So....I can't fit a dual slot video card into my case because of the layout....the unused portion of the dual slot bracket is the problem.

I just spent BIG coin on this card to do AI operations on video transfers.....should I be ballsy and remove the I/O bracket, and then cut it so it will fit?

-OR-

upgrade EVERYTHING to make use of this card......

I have a feeling that just changing the case won't make a difference, and that would entail a whole new set of issues because the cpu fan is built into the case.....so do I get ballsy and hack up a $1400 video card?
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

khalpin

Quote from: Marmar on September 12, 2020, 09:08:22 PM
So....I can't fit a dual slot video card into my case because of the layout....the unused portion of the dual slot bracket is the problem.

I just spent BIG coin on this card to do AI operations on video transfers.....should I be ballsy and remove the I/O bracket, and then cut it so it will fit?

-OR-

I have a feeling that just changing the case won't make a difference, and that would entail a whole new set of issues because the cpu fan is built into the case.....so do I get ballsy and hack up a $1400 video card?

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to give you a big "Thank you for everything you've been doing!"

Marmar

Quote from: khalpin on September 12, 2020, 11:03:30 PM
Quote from: Marmar on September 12, 2020, 09:08:22 PM

-OR-

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about but just wanted to give you a big "Thank you for everything you've been doing!"

You are quite welcome!

This is the crazy shit I go thru to bring the goods....wondering if I should hack up a $1400 card, or buy a new computer....lol

The card is like the one pictured.....it won't fit....do I remove that bracket and hack it in half?

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

kellerb

Before you bust out the hacksaw, take the bracket off and make sure the card fits right without it.

Depending on how the case is set up, altering the bracket might cause some card 'droop' so you might need something to prop it up and keep tension off the connection.

Marmar

Quote from: kellerb on September 13, 2020, 07:56:30 AM
Before you bust out the hacksaw, take the bracket off and make sure the card fits right without it.

Depending on how the case is set up, altering the bracket might cause some card 'droop' so you might need something to prop it up and keep tension off the connection.

I don't think droop will be an issue....since the card is secured into the case with a screw....its just that damn double width shit....i have the luxury that my card only has one row of connections....the 2nd slot space is just holes for cooling....

rowjimmy

is the card actually double width or is it just ports? Can you show us the other angles?

ph92

Quote from: Marmar on September 13, 2020, 09:20:12 AM
Quote from: kellerb on September 13, 2020, 07:56:30 AM

I don't think droop will be an issue....since the card is secured into the case with a screw....its just that damn double width shit....i have the luxury that my card only has one row of connections....the 2nd slot space is just holes for cooling....
Eh, I wouldn't chop it, that extra slot is used for more airflow. You NEED the airflow, these new GPUs are so fucking powerful they need cooling unless you want it to deball the chips and buy a new one earlier than expected. An alternate route would be increasing your case's airflow to compensate. If you have a case with multiple fans on the front this may help the air flow from front to back. But the expansion slot area of the case is usually a dead air spot, meaning the air does not move much. Look into Noctua brand fans, SUPER solid fans, super quiet and powerful.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

Marmar

Job done....card working like a champ....took the bracket off, chopped the bracket to a single slot....fit like a glove, and its working AWESOME.

In short....don't be afraid of this modification....I was till I saw a youtube vid of a guy chopping a Titian RTX in half....and he removed a DVDI port as well.....I didn't have to remove a port, so it was easy peasy.

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

emay

anthrax

Anyone else aroused by all this talk of putting 2 things in one slot and chopping things in half?

Marmar

Quote from: anthrax on September 16, 2020, 05:11:28 PM
Anyone else aroused by all this talk of putting 2 things in one slot and chopping things in half?

Splitting things in half.....maybe.....lol