News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

this shit is scary

Started by VA $l!m, November 05, 2020, 07:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ytowndan

Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 14, 2021, 05:43:18 PM
Every now and then something will set me off and I'll write a long diatribe on FB. Happened today:

When these seditious right-wingers refused to convict the racist-in-chief who incited white supremacists to storm the capitol, it should be seen in the exact same light you see every economic policy they promote. It?s all racism as policy. Nothing more, nothing less. It?s pure hatred of non-white humans.

?The civil rights movement, which widened the circle of public beneficiaries and could have heralded a more moral, prosperous nation, wound up diminishing white people?s commitment to the very idea of public goods. In the late 1950s, over two-thirds of white Americans agreed with the now-radical idea that the government ought to guarantee a job for anyone who wants one and ensure a minimum standard of living for everyone in the country. White support for those ideas nose-dived from around 70 to 35 percent from 1960 to 1964, and has remained low ever since...

...White people who exhibit low racial resentment against Black people are 60 percentage points more likely to support increased government spending than are those with high racial resentment. At the base of this resentment is a zero-sum story: the default framework for conservative arguments, rife with references to ?makers and takers,? ?taxpayers and freeloaders.??

When I, personally, say that I choose love, I am specifically against everything the Republican Party stands for. I support progressive policies, candidates, etc.

I often hear ?It?s not enough to be not racist, you must be anti-racist.? This, to me, cannot be limited to your personal day-to-day interactions. To be anti-racist necessarily means supporting universal, government-backed, healthcare. It means supporting a universal living wage. It means supporting a truly progressive tax structure that places the burden of building an equitable and fair society squarely on the shoulders of the wealthy.

I?ve felt this way since I learned enough to think for myself. It?s nice to see research that shows I?m not wrong. Read on:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/13/opinion/race-economy-inequality-civil-rights.html

:clap:
Quote from: nab on July 27, 2007, 12:20:24 AM
You never drink alone when you have something good to listen to.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: ytowndan on February 14, 2021, 11:41:40 PM
Quote from: PIE-GUY on February 14, 2021, 05:43:18 PM
Every now and then something will set me off and I'll write a long diatribe on FB. Happened today:

When these seditious right-wingers refused to convict the racist-in-chief who incited white supremacists to storm the capitol, it should be seen in the exact same light you see every economic policy they promote. It?s all racism as policy. Nothing more, nothing less. It?s pure hatred of non-white humans.

?The civil rights movement, which widened the circle of public beneficiaries and could have heralded a more moral, prosperous nation, wound up diminishing white people?s commitment to the very idea of public goods. In the late 1950s, over two-thirds of white Americans agreed with the now-radical idea that the government ought to guarantee a job for anyone who wants one and ensure a minimum standard of living for everyone in the country. White support for those ideas nose-dived from around 70 to 35 percent from 1960 to 1964, and has remained low ever since...

...White people who exhibit low racial resentment against Black people are 60 percentage points more likely to support increased government spending than are those with high racial resentment. At the base of this resentment is a zero-sum story: the default framework for conservative arguments, rife with references to ?makers and takers,? ?taxpayers and freeloaders.??

When I, personally, say that I choose love, I am specifically against everything the Republican Party stands for. I support progressive policies, candidates, etc.

I often hear ?It?s not enough to be not racist, you must be anti-racist.? This, to me, cannot be limited to your personal day-to-day interactions. To be anti-racist necessarily means supporting universal, government-backed, healthcare. It means supporting a universal living wage. It means supporting a truly progressive tax structure that places the burden of building an equitable and fair society squarely on the shoulders of the wealthy.

I?ve felt this way since I learned enough to think for myself. It?s nice to see research that shows I?m not wrong. Read on:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/13/opinion/race-economy-inequality-civil-rights.html

:clap:
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

VA $l!m

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

emay

Yeah this is pretty scary and is really dividing the country.
Pretty scared to see where this leads

sunrisevt

Clarence Thomas' concurring opinion explicitly called for the court to reconsider the decisions relevant to birth control, same-sex marriage, and same-sex sexual activity.

Weird he didn't also mention Loving v. Virginia ...
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

pcr3

Quote from: sunrisevt on June 26, 2022, 08:14:25 AMClarence Thomas' concurring opinion explicitly called for the court to reconsider the decisions relevant to birth control, same-sex marriage, and same-sex sexual activity.

Dude has mad power.  He could get a divorce without having to even file for it if he takes that case on too.  I guess we'll see how he really feels about Ginny...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Buffalo Budd

I'll just put this here...

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

Quote from: sunrisevt on June 26, 2022, 08:14:25 AMClarence Thomas' concurring opinion explicitly called for the court to reconsider the decisions relevant to birth control, same-sex marriage, and same-sex sexual activity.

Yup, he's walking a slipper slope to fucking himself in the ass.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Hicks

Saw a post today that said, "It's going to be funny when Clarence finds out Ginni can own him as a slave again."
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on June 27, 2022, 05:11:13 PM

Sodomy will be illegal again too.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 30, 2022, 08:16:43 AM
Quote from: mistercharlie on June 27, 2022, 05:11:13 PM

Sodomy will be illegal again too.
Well, at least he'll be going to jail then, where his disgusting ass belongs!
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Today's ruling grossly limiting the EPA is going to fuck us all.

VA $l!m

Quote from: rowjimmy on June 30, 2022, 10:12:42 AMToday's ruling grossly limiting the EPA is going to fuck us all.
o but i have so much faith in congress to regulate industry...  ::)

VA $l!m

anthrax