News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

December '95

Started by anthrax, November 19, 2020, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 25, 2020, 02:00:04 PM
Quote from: Hicks on November 25, 2020, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 25, 2020, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 24, 2020, 10:20:31 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 24, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
Also, my money is on NYE 95 for the NYE DAAM.  Just thinking about the possibility makes me chub. But then I think they will pick some 3.0 NYE and I instantly de-chub.
With a vinyl RE for those of us that cheaped out the first time.  :shakehead:

Cannot believe what those things are going for now.  I had a spare that I wish I had kept.

Yeah wish I would've grabbed two as well.

As for straight up passing on the only full Phish show available on vinyl, epic fail bro.

Leave aside the fact that's it's arguably the best Phish show... yeah. That's a botch.

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

anthrax

QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 11/30/1995
ERVIN J. NUTTER CENTER, WRIGHT STATE UNIVERSITY
Dayton, OH
Soundcheck: Dog Log, Poor Heart, work on Run Like an Antelope

SET 1: Sample in a Jar > The Curtain > Ha Ha Ha > Julius, NICU > Bathtub Gin, Rift > Fast Enough for You > The Lizards, Fire

SET 2: Cars Trucks Buses > Tweezer -> Makisupa Policeman > Run Like an Antelope > Scent of a Mule, Free, Strange Design, Amazing Grace

ENCORE: Harry Hood

jammed out to this beauty to get ready for the upcoming run.  this tweezer crushes.  this is gonna be a lovely couple of weeks!

anthrax

QuotePHISH, FRIDAY 12/01/1995
HERSHEYPARK ARENA
Hershey, PA
Soundcheck: Buried Alive > Down with Disease, Dog Log, Funky Bitch (half-speed)

SET 1: Buried Alive > Down with Disease > Theme From the Bottom, Poor Heart, Wolfman's Brother[1] > Chalk Dust Torture, Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird[2], Stash, Cavern

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Mike's Song -> Weekapaug Groove, The Mango Song > Wilson > Suspicious Minds > Hold Your Head Up, David Bowie -> Catapult[3] -> David Bowie[4]

ENCORE: Suzy Greenberg

[1] Trey flubbed lyrics and remarked that, since he likes them so much, he would sing them again.
[2] Narration referenced chocolate and the rhombus.
[3] Started over David Bowie hi-hat intro.
[4] Homer Simpson quotes ("mmmm... chocolate") and Simpsons signal.

Trey flubbed the lyrics to Wolfman?s Brother and remarked that, since he likes them so much, he would sing them again. The narration during Mockingbird referenced chocolate and the rhombus. Weekapaug was played in a different key. Catapult started over the Bowie hi-hat intro, which also featured quotes of Homer Simpson (?mmmm... chocolate?) and a Simpsons signal.  This was the first time ever that Mike?s and Weekapaug were played without anything in between them. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

here we go!  come for the mike's.  stay for the chocolate.
sold out show in..Hershey of all places.  i don't know much about this town, but it just goes to show you phish could draw just about anywhere in the NE at that time, no doubt surprising promoters and venue owners all over the place.
first time they'd play Hershey, so they had to have a little fun with the chocolate theme.  8,500 people at $20 each, making it a "smallish" arena for the band in the NE at that time.  first ever mike's directly into paug!

rowjimmy

This show rules your face.

I was there and oh, man. Football in the stadium across the parking lot. The scent of cheap chocolate in the air. A nice small room. What a vibe.
We were low on Page side.

mbw

smallish room but the crowd is ROARING

anthrax

how come the transition into and the weekapaug aren't talked about as much as this mike's?  they are equally as amazing!

Caravan2001

It's so good. There was a group stream of the video a while back with the Beyond the Pond guys and it was the first time I ever watched it.  The first set is relentless. and topping it all off with Bowie>Catapult>Bowie is about as classic as it gets.  Chef's Kiss.  If I had attended this show, I would imagine it would have a solid place in my TOP 10 Attended, likely hovering around the 5 mark. I might like this better than all of the Fall 95 I did see, though 12/14 hard to top.  But I give it the edge over Albany and Portland tbh.  This show just has the song selection for me.  I am happy it just beat Rochester 97 in Round 1 of the show bracket, it deserves to, and Rochester is legit.

Superfreakie

Quote from: Caravan2001 on December 01, 2020, 05:47:13 PM
If I had attended this show, I would imagine it would have a solid place in my TOP 10 Attended, likely hovering around the 5 mark. I might like this better than all of the Fall 95 I did see, though 12/14 hard to top.  But I give it the edge over Albany and Portland tbh.

We will have to do a complete December ranking at the end of this all. I'm not sure where I rank this one. Gonna see if the years have aged some of the others for better or worse.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

pcr3

Quote from: Superfreakie on December 01, 2020, 06:25:11 PM
If I had attended this show, I would imagine it would have a solid place in my TOP 10 Attended, likely hovering around the 5 mark. I might like this better than all of the Fall 95 I did see, though 12/14 hard to top.  But I give it the edge over Albany and Portland tbh.

We will have to do a complete December ranking at the end of this all. I'm not sure where I rank this one. Gonna see if the years have aged some of the others for better or worse.

In. I have not listened to all the shows (ducks), so it will be fresh ears on some of them. I caught New Haven, Albany, Portland, Providence, and NYE. Albany is my favorite show ever attended for reasons that go way beyond the music, which I thought was perfect throughout. Anyhow, off to listen to 12/1 for the first time...
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

Caravan2001

Quote from: pcr3 on December 01, 2020, 10:46:18 PM
Quote from: Superfreakie on December 01, 2020, 06:25:11 PM

In. I have not listened to all the shows (ducks), so it will be fresh ears on some of them. I caught New Haven, Albany, Portland, Providence, and NYE. Albany is my favorite show ever attended for reasons that go way beyond the music, which I thought was perfect throughout. Anyhow, off to listen to 12/1 for the first time...

Wow, lucky to be able to check that out fresh!!!

Marmar

Quote from: mbw on December 01, 2020, 11:32:08 AM
smallish room but the crowd is ROARING

most of the venues that fall were of that nature...part of what made it so special imho...they really found their niche in that sized venue, and the music showed. totally allowed for awe inspiring dynamic shifts...I caught the first 2 weeks of december and it was just glorious.
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

anthrax

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/02/1995
NEW HAVEN VETERANS MEMORIAL COLISEUM
New Haven, CT
Soundcheck: Funky Bitch (half-speed)

SET 1: Prince Caspian, Runaway Jim, Mound > Guelah Papyrus, Reba[1], My Sweet One, Free, Taste That Surrounds, Bouncing Around the Room, Possum[2]

SET 2: Also Sprach Zarathustra > Maze > Simple -> Faht[3], Tweezer > A Day in the Life > Golgi Apparatus, The Squirming Coil, Tweezer Reprise

ENCORE: Bold As Love

[1] No whistling.
[2] All Fall Down signal.
[3] Fish on acoustic guitar.

Reba did not have the whistling ending and Possum included an All Fall Down signal. Faht featured Fish on acoustic guitar. Tweezer contained Take Me to the River teases and Squirming Coil contained a Carol of the Bells tease from Page.

a 240 mile drive and we're at our next stop.  i'm not super familiar with this show, so i'm looking forward to diving in this morning.  as i look at the attendance numbers, mar is totally right.  a lot of the venues are about the same size.  this place holds just over 10,000 people.  this night was sold out at $18-$22 tix. 

Marmar

The only thing about the fall/winter tour I disliked was all the crusty w00ks from Dead tour that started showing up......
Who's the Marmar? I'm the Marmar!!!

Phish doesn't write beautiful music...the beautiful music happens after the written parts.

<gainesvillegreen> now, if they could get their sound to be as good as the lights, we'd have a band hee-yah!!

Music is what feelings sound like.

birdman

Quote from: Marmar on December 02, 2020, 08:41:35 AM
The only thing about the fall/winter tour I disliked was all the crusty w00ks from Dead tour that started showing up......
but they did bring all the good drugs with them. So like/dislike
Paug FTMFW!

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on November 25, 2020, 01:38:35 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 25, 2020, 01:01:38 PM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on November 24, 2020, 10:20:31 PM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 24, 2020, 08:27:51 PM
Also, my money is on NYE 95 for the NYE DAAM.  Just thinking about the possibility makes me chub. But then I think they will pick some 3.0 NYE and I instantly de-chub.
With a vinyl RE for those of us that cheaped out the first time.  :shakehead:

Cannot believe what those things are going for now.  I had a spare that I wish I had kept.

Yeah wish I would've grabbed two as well.

As for straight up passing on the only full Phish show available on vinyl, epic fail bro.

Yup. I just wasn't in a position to drop $120+ on that at the time.
You guys all seem to get away with far more vinyl purchases than I do with my wife.
I also have quite a few hobbies eating up my spare record cash  :|
First world problems.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.