News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Undermine Podcast

Started by rowjimmy, February 03, 2021, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 14, 2022, 01:55:42 PMI would say I got a chuckle out of "the tour that changed everything."  While I agree that it's a great tour (and understand they are trying to hype their podcast), I'd have to say it's a little heavy handed.  Awesome tour, but not my favorite tour, not even my favorite fall tour.  I did think the show selection/spotlights they chose were pretty on target though.  I love 11/2/90.

Pretty sure I was invited on in the front half of this season but not the '97 half because of my opinions on the tour.

emay

I gotta say it's in my top 3 favorite tours but it's def one of the most hyped tours out there in phish community 

jedifunk

I think an argument could be made that it DID change everything ... the funk/dance style was so different from what came before it and it genuinely did shape everything till at least the hiatus. The US summer 97 tour felt like it was out of nowhere. I remember people complaining about the style and I think its because it was so different, it was pretty jarring.

I know I'm biased because its hands down my favorite tour ... it was also my first time I did a full tour, so that makes me even more biased. And personally, a lot of my favorite moments from the tour are the non-funk stuff. I think I go back to the 12/9/97 Simple more than almost any other jam, period ... 97 or otherwise. For sure it has funk, but its such a melodic jam, very smooth and ethereal.

I also think the fall funk was so much more mature than the summer funk and the band found it much easier to move into and out of it. a lot of the quieter spaces they find in the fall would have been difficult to get to in the summer and I don't think the knew they existed in 1996.

The band has definitely evolved beyond that style now, but I'm not sure a lot of their style would have happened without fall 97.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

rowjimmy

Special guest today...

PIE-GUY

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2022, 07:56:14 AMSpecial guest today...

Disappointed - I though it was gonna be you!
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

jedifunk

that interview was awesome ... its so cool to hear trey talk about the music. he's a real deep introspective thinker.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

natronzero

What a fantastic interview. I especially loved hearing him talk about the Hey Hole/listening exercises and how that relates to listening onstage. Really insightful stuff.
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

Superfreakie

Listening to Trey now. This is my first Undermine Pod listen. Guess I chose the right time to hop on board.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Superfreakie on November 17, 2022, 10:31:19 AMListening to Trey now. This is my first Undermine Pod listen. Guess I chose the right time to hop on board.
A few weeks back might've been my suggestion for a first...

Quote from: PIE-GUY on November 17, 2022, 08:23:31 AM
Quote from: rowjimmy on November 17, 2022, 07:56:14 AMSpecial guest today...

Disappointed - I though it was gonna be you!

Awww

VA $l!m

yeah loving this one with trey.

im 100% a fall 97-fall 99 guy...
sure i love all phish, but  fall 97 did change everything for me personally.
the shows i saw between 93 and 96 were great but the band never connected to me on a spiritual level until fall 97.
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

anthrax

Quote from: jedifunk on November 16, 2022, 08:44:58 AMI think an argument could be made that it DID change everything ... the funk/dance style was so different from what came before it and it genuinely did shape everything till at least the hiatus. The US summer 97 tour felt like it was out of nowhere. I remember people complaining about the style and I think its because it was so different, it was pretty jarring.

I know I'm biased because its hands down my favorite tour ... it was also my first time I did a full tour, so that makes me even more biased. And personally, a lot of my favorite moments from the tour are the non-funk stuff. I think I go back to the 12/9/97 Simple more than almost any other jam, period ... 97 or otherwise. For sure it has funk, but its such a melodic jam, very smooth and ethereal.

I also think the fall funk was so much more mature than the summer funk and the band found it much easier to move into and out of it. a lot of the quieter spaces they find in the fall would have been difficult to get to in the summer and I don't think the knew they existed in 1996.

The band has definitely evolved beyond that style now, but I'm not sure a lot of their style would have happened without fall 97.

just listened to trey on undermine and he did a good job talking about this.  i've been thinking about it since reading this great post, but couldn't put it into good enough words.  phish is constantly evolving and changing, so fall 97 did change everything for their music.  however, you could say that about a lot of the eras of 1.0.  this tour doesn't stand alone, it's a continuum of evolution that swept us all away no matter when we jumped on board.  in 1.0, if you didn't enjoy a particular phish sound, all you had to do was wait a tour or two and it would all be very different. 

WhatstheUse?

Listened to the first half of the podcast today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was surprised to hear Trey mention 92/93 as the years he looks back on most fondly. At the same time... it makes sense... that was when they were putting in the most work and that's when it was paying off the most.

It's also funny to hear him dance around the party/drugs in the scene. Like... he clearly discusses how the backstage/tour bus scene blended right into the shows and how the party was non-stop in 97. But... he avoids using the word "drugs" or anything similar. Which, I understand, I just find it funny. He can't say... "oh yeah, we were all high at that show and that's why it sounds like that"

Bring in the dude!

emay

Awesome he remembers that ghost as the only time all four of them listened back to phish after a show.

VA $l!m

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on November 17, 2022, 08:19:52 PMListened to the first half of the podcast today and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I was surprised to hear Trey mention 92/93 as the years he looks back on most fondly. At the same time... it makes sense... that was when they were putting in the most work and that's when it was paying off the most.

It's also funny to hear him dance around the party/drugs in the scene. Like... he clearly discusses how the backstage/tour bus scene blended right into the shows and how the party was non-stop in 97. But... he avoids using the word "drugs" or anything similar. Which, I understand, I just find it funny. He can't say... "oh yeah, we were all high at that show and that's why it sounds like that"

idk i think he was pretty explicit without glorifying it, which is a normal take for an older recovered addict.
I totally get it. There's nothing wrong with being nostalgic about 'good times', but also no need to act like everything was positive about the situation in retrospect.
He definitely got giddy thinking about all of it though which was endearing.
I think anyone that looks back at those days has to remember how great of a vibe there was in the party scene... though maybe before people got more burnt towards the 2000s.

-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 15, 2022, 09:59:04 AM
Quote from: Caravan2001 on November 14, 2022, 01:55:42 PMI would say I got a chuckle out of "the tour that changed everything."  While I agree that it's a great tour (and understand they are trying to hype their podcast), I'd have to say it's a little heavy handed.  Awesome tour, but not my favorite tour, not even my favorite fall tour.  I did think the show selection/spotlights they chose were pretty on target though.  I love 11/2/90.

Pretty sure I was invited on in the front half of this season but not the '97 half because of my opinions on the tour.

I am partial to 97 but I think that's due to me hopping on that year. There is something about the additional song selection from SOTG and some Farmhouse tunes that rounded out the sets for me.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.