News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

RIP Gift of Gab

Started by Hicks, June 25, 2021, 01:05:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

Damn this sucks, one of my favorite MCs of all time.

Got to see him a bunch back in the day, including the Quannum World tour with Latryx, Shadow and Lifesavas which is probably the best hip hop show I've ever seen.

Dude had a monstrous flow and excellent, conscious lyrics, you really felt like you knew him through his music.

RIP

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

emay

damn RIP. havent put on blackalicious in a while which is a shame.
always loved this track with Cut Chemist.

natronzero

It's been a hell of a bad year for rappers dying. RIP
I'd rather dwell in some dark holler where the sun refuses to shine, where the wild birds of heaven can't hear me when I whine.

emay

From DJ Shadow

My statement regarding the passing of Timothy Jerome ?The Gift Of Gab? Parker:
Our brother Tim, having walked this earth as a student of life for over 50 years, has graduated to the next plane of existence.  He begins his renewed travels accompanied by the many spiritual attributes developed during his time among us mortals:  his wry sense of humor, his unlimited kindness, his abundant humility?his ability to entertain, to awe?his adeptness not only at teaching, but at learning.  His willingness to admit wrongs and defend truths; his voracious admiration of knowledge and wisdom, his contempt for deceit.  Characteristics all sharpened by the blades of hardship and achievement forged of a life lived fully and genuinely.
?It is not done ?til it?s done.? -The Gift Of Gab, from the Blackalicious song ?Changes.?
Tim was many things to many people, but to most of us, he was a rapper, and it was in the context of rap that I first met him nearly 30 years ago.  At the time, Xavier, Tom, Jeff and I were at UC Davis getting our label Solesides together.  Gab hadn?t formally joined the collective yet, but X used to talk about him all the time: ?Wait ?til you hear him, he?s super dope.?
One day, X invited me to co-DJ an impromptu MC session at his crib.  Right there, in that tiny apartment, I heard Tim rap for the first time.  His voice was perfect, his wordplay endlessly inventive.  ?Dope verse,? I enthused.  ?Nah, that was freestyle,? Tim smiled.  ?Want to hear more???  I was dumbfounded, and whispered to X, ?You mean that whole 5-minute verse was off the head??  I couldn?t believe it.  I had heard so many rappers talk about freestyles, but almost every one of them were fronting.  We all knew Freestyle Fellowship was legit, but I figured they were an outlier?I never thought I?d cross paths with an actual rapper like them that valued skills and expressive freedom over image and aesthetic.  In an industry with so many frauds and followers, Tim Parker was more than just original; he was unique.  And he was, quite simply, the most preternaturally gifted MC I?ve ever worked with.
Gab loved to think of life as just a momentary stage of a much longer journey, and all its trials and tribulations as ?training? for the adventures to come after.  If there?s one thing I know, wherever Gab is, he?s SOARING right now.  We love and miss you, Tim.

mistercharlie

Mother fucker...

This one hurts. Gab was so damned good. I saw him open for Public Enemy once and he was the best live rapper I've ever seen.

RIP :cry:

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens.