October 18, 2021, 03:26:39 AM

News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

2021-08-06 - Deer Creek, Noblesville, IN - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mistercharlie, August 07, 2021, 04:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Insert Beer

Quote from: cactusfan on August 09, 2021, 06:26:50 PMOnly checked out a few songs so far... but damn. That Simple is from another planet.

The jamming this tour reminds me in a sense of Dec. '99, in that everything seems to have a similar dance-groove that they're just really digging into.

Definitely.  Parts of the Simple actually gave me Fukuoka vibes albeit at a different tempo/rhythm.  Trey's tone and effects are outstanding  :music:

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: Insert Beer on August 09, 2021, 07:15:30 PMDefinitely.  Parts of the Simple actually gave me Fukuoka vibes albeit at a different tempo/rhythm. Trey's tone and effects are outstanding  :music:

YO. Your'e not wrong... and actually, I feel like it was a similar tempo/rhythm as the post Twist-Fukuoka jam. Very similar drum beat.
Bring in the dude!

rowjimmy

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 09, 2021, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: Insert Beer on August 09, 2021, 07:15:30 PMDefinitely.  Parts of the Simple actually gave me Fukuoka vibes albeit at a different tempo/rhythm. Trey's tone and effects are outstanding  :music:

YO. Your'e not wrong... and actually, I feel like it was a similar tempo/rhythm as the post Twist-Fukuoka jam. Very similar drum beat.

That comparison showed up on today's HFPod.

This Simple is amazing.

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 10, 2021, 10:42:22 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on August 09, 2021, 09:09:30 PM

That comparison showed up on today's HFPod.

This Simple is amazing.

I would say it's "Simply Amazing"! I've listened to it at least three times since Friday and re-watched it twice (plus seeing it live).
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 01, 2009, 10:29:05 PM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Bobafett

Ok so I've now returned home and listened to all the shows with the headphones on, so time for a more in-depth review for each show.

Preface:  These were my 7, 8, 9th sober shows, FWIW.  We had lawns for all 3 nights and were first in line every night, front row, center lawn.  People watching was top notch.  I, for the life of me, cannot understand the people who's MO is to dance in the fucking aisle?  Saw a dude get drop kicked in the chest night 3 by a aisle dancing maniac.

This first set was just a solid start to the weekend.  Right out of the gate I was loving Trey's new/dialed in tone.  The band was so locked together in the sound mix as well as in their playing. 

Carini to open was a sign that they were rested and ready to go.  Had a really nice major key semi-bliss jam.  Wolfman's laid a good funk for the dance party to start and Sand just kept that vibe going.  Subtle changes in the bass line and modulations kept it interesting and worked it into a banging version.

By the time Lawn Boy started, the sun had begun to set, the lights were looking really good, there was still a good bit of room on the lawn...I'd guess another 2-3K people could have gotten in there.

WACTOOB is one of my favorites from KV and this version showcased a lot of the new synth/effects they have gotten.  Tube>Wedge was all solid.  Walls was a great choice to close the set with some semi-machine gun energy.

Standard AC/DC.  Blaze On just kept going, and I honestly lost track of time.  Looked at my watch when Wilson started and did a double take!  27 minutes?!  It felt like 10 minutes!  Wilson was nothing special, not bad, but got the crowd all rowdy. 

Simple.  The song that made me fall in love with the band, but not a song that has recently held my attention in the jam department.  That changed tonight.  Once they began to hit the upper atmosphere, I turned away from the stage and began to just watch the crowd on the lawn.  Lots of slack-jaws and wide eyes all around me.  I'm still not sure how long this version is, but it doesn't matter, because it was a showcase of a new and creative style of jam.  I found myself thinking that it was the most psychedelic space music I have ever heard.  <edit:  I've coined the term "MoonMud" as the style>

Hood was a great choice to bring people back to earth.  Set closer was a good choice.

My buddy Jeff has seen 65 shows and never had a Sanity.  He lost his molly-filled brain.  Some of the effects from Fish and Page were lost in the mix live, but on SBD it was a fun sanity.  Limb was standard, SANTOS was rocking.

I left thinking it was one of the better complete shows I've heard since 09, with Simple being a new benchmark for the band.

The campground was pretty tame this night.  Night 2 was a different story.
The events in our lives happen in a sequence in time, but in their significance to ourselves they find their own order; the continuous thread of revelation.

Buffalo Budd

This Simple is everything I want from the band nowadays.
Way out there, experimental, captivating rawk!
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

rowjimmy

We know Trey is a big King Gizz fan... How about this:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Completely/status/1425221080780738562

~14min in the Simple, King Gizzards Cyboogie tease?

mistercharlie

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 10, 2021, 04:39:09 PMWe know Trey is a big King Gizz fan... How about this:

https://twitter.com/Mr_Completely/status/1425221080780738562

~14min in the Simple, King Gizzards Cyboogie tease?

Page is definitely playing something that sounds like Cyboogie! I didn't even make the connection.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

I've been listening to the first 14 shows of the tour and I keep coming back to this Simple and being amazed all over again. I think it's the highlight of the tour for me, so far. So many layers to the jam and it just gets deep space funky there for a minute.

anthrax

QuoteI've been listening to the first 14 shows of the tour and I keep coming back to this Simple and being amazed all over again. I think it's the highlight of the tour for me, so far. So many layers to the jam and it just gets deep space funky there for a minute.

This!  Like!  I agree!  Whatever!

There are points in here that are mid 90s scary Phish.  Certain points in the Bakers Dozen got there too, but this is rare, and I love it so much!