September 27, 2021, 08:06:13 PM

News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

RIP Charlie Watts

Started by mopper_smurf, August 24, 2021, 08:52:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopper_smurf

August 24, 2021, 08:52:44 AM Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 08:55:00 AM by mopper_smurf
QuoteThe Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has died, his publicist has said.
The musician, who marked his 80th birthday in June, had been a member of the rock group since 1963.

A statement from his London publicist, Bernard Doherty, to the PA news agency said: "It is with immense sadness that we announce the death of our beloved Charlie Watts.
"He passed away peacefully in a London hospital earlier today surrounded by his family."

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/aug/24/rolling-stones-drummer-charlie-watts-dies-aged-80

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. - Lemmy

Hicks

RIP, a monumental figure in rock n' roll. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 01, 2009, 10:29:05 PM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

Sheesh, didn't know he was that ill.
RIP to a legend.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Tough one.
He was the glue
RIP
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

pcr3

This sucks.  It seems like only a week or two ago that he was held back from going out on their fall tour...

:'(
"I'm singlehandedly responsible for poisoning the entire local ecosystem with all my fluids spilling onto the ground." -birdman, while plowing

"Mushrooms were a good idea!" -wtu

http://phish.net/myshows/prizzi3

emay

QuoteRIP, a monumental figure in rock n' roll. 

rowjimmy

A loss to be sure.
A hero to be revered and who shall be long remembered and influential.

I grabbed Exile at lunch and will be spinning more of his drumming forever, tbh.

shoreline99

2021 can suck a big bag of dicks.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 07:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.

sunrisevt

Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

mistercharlie

I came home and put Beggers Banquet on the turntable while I prepped dinner. Definitely shed a tear during No Expectations.

RIP  :'(
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

Apparently people don't like the truth, but I do like it; I like it because it upsets a lot of people. - Lemmy

VDB

It seemed the Stones would live forever, alas.

I don't know much about drumming but it has to speak to Watts's philosophy and abilities all the more that he's kept his kit so small over the years. It always struck me as such a contrast to the bigness of the Rolling Stones. But of course Charlie had the same number of arms and legs as any other player.
Is this still Wombat?

mistercharlie

QuoteIt seemed the Stones would live forever, alas.

I don't know much about drumming but it has to speak to Watts's philosophy and abilities all the more that he's kept his kit so small over the years. It always struck me as such a contrast to the bigness of the Rolling Stones. But of course Charlie had the same number of arms and legs as any other player.
Rick Allen would like a word with you.  O0