News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Vintage Audio Repair

Started by nab, September 16, 2021, 10:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

I might have to send you a project.

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 26, 2021, 11:03:32 AMI might have to send you a project.

What kind of a project are you looking at?

rowjimmy

Quote from: nab on October 26, 2021, 01:08:47 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 26, 2021, 11:03:32 AMI might have to send you a project.

Neighbor has a Pioneer SX-1250 with a bad channel... At least I think that's the problem.
And I'm  not sure if that's the precise model.
Fucking tank of a unit tho.

nab

QuoteI might have to send you a project.

Neighbor has a Pioneer SX-1250 with a bad channel... At least I think that's the problem.
And I'm  not sure if that's the precise model.
Fucking tank of a unit tho.

You're not kidding, that one is a fucking beast and a good looker. And a very valuable unit. 

And way too expensive to ship to someone who's just getting dangerous and not there yet.

If repair was musicianship, I'm good enough to busk and make a few dollars, but that one needs Wrecking Crew levels of consistent performance. 

nab

Never, ever, ever, fuck with the dial string.

In my case the fucking with it was inadvertent. I wasn't paying attention to the wheel while I was turning this receiver over and over to replace some capacitors. The wheel came loose, some gears and grommets that were held in only by the wheel axle came loose, and the line went slack.

It took me nearly 3 hours to get it all back together. It's a geometry puzzle from hell.

nab

This Marantz SR1000 has been a partner of mine for quite some time. When I bought it in parts condition, the owner asked me why I wanted it. I answered "Because there's enought wrong with it to teach me a lot, but not so much it's hopeless".

Today, hope came home.

IT LIVES!

Major surgery today. Rebuilding the other half of the power supply as well as two transistors, one in the main output and one that had to be modified with heat shrink to make a modern replacement play nice in a slot with an obsolete part.

But fuck, it plays nice now and no smoke or shorts.

Now to pretty it up a bit with new lights and a recap to the phono section. This thing's almost dressed to impress as much as it can.

nab

View from the outside

nab

Picked up a new project today, and undoubtedly the heaviest speakers I've ever owned. Took both my wife and I to move each one. They're like 90 lbs apiece. She wasn't thrilled when I told her "I'd like to hook these up upstairs first, test them out, and then move them downstairs".

But hey, I had to hear them on the Sansui G-5000 first, as it's the best one I've got.

The speakers are Sansui SP-5000, manufactured in February 1971 according to the serial number. According to what I've read, these weren't available as retail in the US. Most that are here came through Military returning from Vietnam or other Asian ports, as is the case with a lot of Sansui and (to a lesser extent) Pioneer from this time period. Given the weight/size of these speakers, I'm guessing either a significant person (Officer class) or significant strings were pulled to get these back.

They are 4-way speakers with 7 drivers; two tweeters, two squakers, two midrange, and a 15" woofer. They are real efficient and easily driven for their size. The surrounds on this pair are in great condition and I don't anticipate a refoam will be needed. The capacitors are showing some age and there is some squishiness to what is overall a great sound signature. That won't be too much of a problem for me, once I source the parts, so I'm excited to get that done. Will also need to source or McGuiver some stands, as I can tell a little elevation and tilt will really bring these out.

But for now, they just RAWK. Hitting up some ZZ Top this morning to let them sing.

jam>

nab

QuoteWall of sound!

Indeed. These things are rockers. I'm glad I don't have any amp bigger than 100 around here or I might be tempted to find out when the cops come in my neighborhood.

1/4 of the way up on my Kenwood KR 5400 35 Watt is plenty loud enough for me with these.

This guy's comments about this speaker and the volume are humorous (toward the end of the page)

https://www.stereomanuals.com/ref/sansui_sp5000.htm

nab

Recap and clean of this unit. This one is a sleeper. JVC R-S33. This retailed for $345 in 1980. Approximately $1150 inflation adjusted. At a time when lots of receivers were turning to integrated circuits (including the dreaded STK modules; I'm looking at you Pioneer and Marantz), this receiver still was using discrete components and output transistors, like the mid 70s stuff. This has the tinkly tube like sound like Marantz from the hayday.

Recapped the phono input and the power boards. Lighting still working as original.

If you're looking for something to fill your room with good vintage sound, this one is a great option for the price/benefit ratio. Lots available and reasonably priced with no boutique name tax.

Just put this one for sale up at the local record store. Hope it hooks someone.

Buffalo Budd

Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

nab

Drove a total of 7 hours today to meet a guy halfway to purchase this and a set of Sansui SF2 speakers.

Sansui 771 receiver.

Obviously needs a re-lamp, which I'll take care of as soon as I get some ordered. This was a $430 unit new (~$2500 inflation adjusted).

After it passed the "it's safe enough to play" tests, I couldn't wait to hook it into my main system.

This one's getting the full recap and transistor inspection/replacement. I'm keeping this one for me.

$150 for both. I threw in $100 to get him to agree to meet me halfway (dude was in Idaho and I live on the eastern end of Montana).

Super happy.

nab

Maybe adding "Repair" to the thread title was a hasty choice in the beginning and too limiting.

Sure I wanted to talk about that, but I was also interested in what vintage gear people in this community were using. Given the age of the equipment, I figured it was a given.

The Vinyl thread is one of the most popular threads on here, so I figured there was at least "some" dabbling.

But pictures, talk, mutual solutions; that's what I was really after before youze guys made me spell it out.

So since I've become awkwardly obvious; what's out there in 'paug land? 

rowjimmy

Most of my stuff isn't terribly old. I run a Dual 506 which I've dropped into a plinth from a DOA Dual 1210.