News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Summer Tour 2021

Started by emay, May 01, 2020, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hicks

I don't mind if he plays with timing/phrasing but the Broadway vibrato is beyond cringe, especially when he does it on old tunes like Free. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: mistercharlie on August 26, 2021, 05:55:55 PMI do wish he would stop putting emphasis on some lines though. For all of 3.0 and now 4.0, the line in Sand "I'd have myself to blame" is shouted rather than subtly sung. I like it better the old way.

If he could actually nail it, I'd probably love it.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

Hicks

GETTING PUMPED DUDES, FIRST PHISH IN THREE YEARS!!!    :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:

:pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

Quote from: Hicks on August 26, 2021, 09:55:50 PMGETTING PUMPED DUDES, FIRST PHISH IN THREE YEARS!!!    :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:

:pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:  :pbjtime:

Excited for you, man!  It feels real good to be back at it

Don't do anything we wouldn't do!
If this is love, I'm never going home..

tet

"We want you to be happy"
-Phish

VDB

QuoteSo I'm assuming everyone has noticed the latest progression of Trey's tendency to sing the lyrics a little behind the typical rhythm, ala Bob Dylan or Weir. Is this just an age thing in that musicians get bored of their lyrics and feel the need to change it up to keep them interested? I don't listen to Phish necessarily for the vocals but I guess I've never understood it to the extent that some musicians do it. I get switching it up a bit but when it throws off the momentum of a tune, I feel they've gone too far. I just hope this will not become the norm. 2 cents.

You're right about all of this and I connect it with Trey's tendency over the past few years to apply more flourish and spontaneity to the vox in general. There was some picture of him stageside watching some pop star at Bonnaroo when Phish played there last time. I like to imagine he saw this person doing, like, a professional singer's job of stylizing their performance and thought he should do the same. What's funny is when he can't decide how much to commit to the gimmick, i.e. Everything's Right.
Is this still Wombat?

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: Hicks on August 26, 2021, 09:55:50 PMGETTING PUMPED DUDES, FIRST PHISH IN THREE YEARS!!!    :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:  :willynilly:

Enjoy bud. I have a few friends who have to eat their tickets after they pushed the border cross date to Sept 23.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

WhatstheUse?

I can't get the "Lonely Trip" chorus out of my head.

So simple yet still so perfect.
Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

QuoteI can't get the "Lonely Trip" chorus out of my head.

So simple yet still so perfect.
I've had it in my head enough lately that I was imagining, and writing out, a full-on Boat/water based setlist for a Phish show.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

mistercharlie

I'm going to give Sci-Fi Soldier a few more listens so that I'm more familiar with all of the musical elements and then give Summer Tour a complete register to see if they were jamming any of the new songs back then. I have a feeling I'm going to notice something, aside form Fish's 'Uhuyyyha' sound effect.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

anthrax

Quote from: mistercharlie on November 07, 2021, 07:42:19 AMI'm going to give Sci-Fi Soldier a few more listens so that I'm more familiar with all of the musical elements and then give Summer Tour a complete register to see if they were jamming any of the new songs back then. I have a feeling I'm going to notice something, aside form Fish's 'Uhuyyyha' sound effect.

Follow LostInMyReflection on twitter.  Dude is doing this and finding tons of examples and posting all the times in which they occur.