News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2021-10-31 MGM Grand, Las Vegas, NV - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by mbw, November 01, 2021, 11:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rowjimmy

QuoteI missed something.
And I was there!
You aren't the only one who missed something!  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar

I'm gonna need some details!
Do we need a non-show Vegas recap thread?!

anthrax

QuoteOh I'm in awe alright, but that has more to do with what happened at Meow Wolf.  :wtu:  :wtu:  :wtu:
so much this

Surprised he hasn't been relegated to the minor leagues for this one.
Boom!

birdman

Quote from: rowjimmy on November 05, 2021, 06:33:53 PM
QuoteI missed something.
And I was there!
You aren't the only one who missed something!  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar  :hereyougoyousentimentalbastar

the Paug needs to know Gavin. It'll be better if you explain it...
Paug FTMFW!

mistercharlie

I did the unthinkable and didn't listen to the show until tonight. I wanted to take in the whole thing for the first time, uninterrupted and slightly inebriated. I knew the wife was going to dinner and a movie with her mom and I'd have the house to myself for a good 4 hours. I had a hard time not reading reviews before listening. I went in only having read the pdf of the comic, which I did Monday morning.

First off, I haven't seen this mentioned, but did Trey's square stop working as a nod to NYE, or was that legitimately another technical error?

I loved the music! It just sounds like the Phuture (which also would have been a good band name). My favorites being Something Living Here, Clear Your Mind, Dont Doubt Me and The Howling. I Am In Miami just so hilariously Phish, I love it. A lot of the timing of the lyrics still needs worked out, but I see tremendous potential in many of the songs. I can really see Something Living Here having major jamability. 

I liked Thanksgiving, it almost seems like they were improvising the lyrics, aside from "It's a shame about the blood". That would be a cool and fun thing for them to continue in the future, if so.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

emay

Made this while listening to the second set again. Enjoyed it better listening to it a third time. Enjoyed most the songs, others not so much. Some parts can definitely be re worked or chopped out.
Two negative covid tests so far. Not feeling great but I've been partying for 2 weeks too.

alcoholandcoffeebeans

Quote from: birdman on November 05, 2021, 08:53:25 PM
QuoteI missed something.
And I was there!

well now... I'm intrigued.
honest to the point of recklessness...                     ♫ ♪ ılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|llılı ♪ ♫

sunrisevt

Quote from: alcoholandcoffeebeans on November 06, 2021, 04:43:32 AM
Quote from: birdman on November 05, 2021, 08:53:25 PM
QuoteI missed something.
And I was there!

well now... I'm intrigued.

You ain't the only one.

Let's have it, GBL.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

anthrax

QuoteKDF might have been the jam of the run (no joke)

this kdf can sit at the same table as the camden 99 chalkdust!

i had a side stage view for this entire show.  i was a little bummed about not being out front, but it turned out great because i really got to see a view of the stage production.  i watched the webcast last night for the out front view and there were definitely some things i missed, but i won't get to see that side stage view ever again.

setbreak was long because they struck the entire stage after set one and constructed small setups for each band member so their respective rigs could fit inside the circles and squares.  compared to a normal phish stage, the stage seemed bare, so i couldn't figure out why there were a ton of people frantically checking things out at the extreme back of the stage...until...pyro!  it's no surprise i'm a big fan of pyro!

also, now we know why page moved his wurlitzer to the "prime" spot this summer.  he had a tiny rig.  the wurli was basically the only "normal" keyboard he used for the second set.  no hammond, no piano, no rhodes, no clav.

didn't trey mention something special about Miami in one of his XM radio interviews back in June?  loved that tune.

set 1 was amazing.  set 2 blew my mind.  set 3 had some highlights, but didn't blow the roof off the place.  probably because it was 1am and and after 8 sets people were losing steam.  this seems to happen a lot.  what was the last 3 set arena show that really had a raging set 3?

mistercharlie

QuoteKDF might have been the jam of the run (no joke)

this kdf can sit at the same table as the camden 99 chalkdust!

i had a side stage view for this entire show.  i was a little bummed about not being out front, but it turned out great because i really got to see a view of the stage production.  i watched the webcast last night for the out front view and there were definitely some things i missed, but i won't get to see that side stage view ever again.

setbreak was long because they struck the entire stage after set one and constructed small setups for each band member so their respective rigs could fit inside the circles and squares.  compared to a normal phish stage, the stage seemed bare, so i couldn't figure out why there were a ton of people frantically checking things out at the extreme back of the stage...until...pyro!  it's no surprise i'm a big fan of pyro!

also, now we know why page moved his wurlitzer to the "prime" spot this summer.  he had a tiny rig.  the wurli was basically the only "normal" keyboard he used for the second set.  no hammond, no piano, no rhodes, no clav.

didn't trey mention something special about Miami in one of his XM radio interviews back in June?  loved that tune.

set 1 was amazing.  set 2 blew my mind.  set 3 had some highlights, but didn't blow the roof off the place.  probably because it was 1am and and after 8 sets people were losing steam.  this seems to happen a lot.  what was the last 3 set arena show that really had a raging set 3?

12/31/15? The NMINML & Blaze On from that set are pretty great.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

GBL

y'all are REALLY over selling this meow wolf story, imo..

like, I'm not bothered by what happened at all

so I'll let anyone else explain it lol
If this is love, I'm never going home..

JPhishman

It being Halloween and my 100th show it would be tough for me to have any criticism. I just had an incredible time and was in awe at the creativity that they did it again! Some friends brought me down to a perfect spot dead center 100 level where I had space and it was stellar.
Gave it my first watch last night. Other than being a bit lyrically repetitive at times, I think more of this may stick around than I originally thought. Legitimately cool musical portions of Knuckle, Get Down, Clear Your Mind, Unwinding, and especially Howling (which I felt was a 2001 redux) that I will enjoy seeing again. And Miami, that's just a cute song.
Need to relisten to the Ghost. Been pining for a long Ghost jam for years but had some other struggles overshadow part of it in the moment.
I expected the final Carini of your to pack more into it but I realize the SF version would have been a lot to live up to.
All in all it was an awesome show. The third set ending up a bit of an afterthought after all we had witnessed over the 4 days. Probably the best 4 day run I've ever had the good fortune to attend.
So awesome to reunite with the Paug crew. When we're all together behind the stage really are some of the best times you can ask for.
And yeah Meow Wolf was incredible and I will stand by for the first hand recounting of epic failures that may or may not have taken place.
:beers:

Edit: I do recall some serious heat out of KDF. Also read a recap that said it broke the "Halloween theme" of the set. I call nans. It has Kill in the title!
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

Hicks

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

JPhishman

Quote from: Hicks on November 06, 2021, 02:19:47 PMKDF didn't break the Halloween theme, but Free did.

Ah that must be what I read and remembered wrong.
"Be sure your expectations are reasonable." - fortune cookie

mbw

Quotepyro!  it's no surprise i'm a big fan of pyro!

Next year should be be a fake satanic metal band with lots of pyro.

anthrax