News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Late Fall '94 West Coast

Started by anthrax, November 28, 2021, 07:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

QuotePHISH, MONDAY 11/28/1994
BRICK BREEDEN FIELDHOUSE, MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY
Bozeman, MT
SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Scent of a Mule, Stash, Guyute, Sparkle > Simple[1] > Divided Sky, Sweet Adeline

SET 2: Suzy Greenberg > NICU > Tweezer -> Digital Delay Loop Jam -> Tweezer > Sleeping Monkey > Julius

ENCORE: Fee[2] > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Cameron McKinney on saxophone.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.

Simple featured Cameron McKinney on saxophone. A portion of the jam segment from this long (nearly 45 minutes), experimental Tweezer appeared on A Live One as Montana. Trey teased I'm a Man (Spencer Davis Group) in Tweezer prior to the Digital Delay Loop Jam. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. This gig was originally scheduled for MSU's Shroyer Gym (capacity 1,800), and was later moved to the larger Field House (capacity 8,500). This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

i don't know if i'm biting off more than i can chew here, but who wants to relive this tour ending west coast run on the 27th anniversary dates of each show?  it starts off with 3 live phish releases. 

justjezmund

Fall 94 is stuff legends are made of.

Providence Bowie usually gets all the love but the show before Bozeman should get more love than it does. Bowie is a heater.
Quote from: Augustus on September 29, 2013, 09:26:46 AM
It's like BJ Galore over here!

Quote from: rowjimmy on May 13, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
I use records for that and don't have to justify it to my friends.

GBL

If this is love, I'm never going home..

anthrax

QuotePHISH, WEDNESDAY 11/30/1994
CAMPUS RECREATION CENTER, EVERGREEN COLLEGE
Olympia, WA
Soundcheck: Fixin' to Die, Mound, Guyute, Back In My Hometown, I'm Blue I'm Lonesome

SET 1: Frankenstein, Poor Heart > My Friend, My Friend[1] > Reba[2], Colonel Forbin's Ascent > Fly Famous Mockingbird -> The Vibration of Life -> Fly Famous Mockingbird, Down with Disease > Bouncing Around the Room, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[3], My Long Journey Home[3]

SET 2: Halley's Comet > Run Like an Antelope -> My Sweet One[4] -> Run Like an Antelope[5] -> Fixin' to Die -> Ya Mar -> Mike's Song -> Catapult -> McGrupp and the Watchful Hosemasters > Cavern

ENCORE: The Horse > Silent in the Morning, Amazing Grace[6]

[1] No "Myfe" ending.
[2] No whistling.
[3] Acoustic.
[4] Unsually long delay at end, with some band members "snoring."
[5] Unfinished.
[6] Without microphones.

My Friend My Friend did not contain the "Myfe" ending and Reba did not have the whistling ending. The Mockingbird narration included The Vibration of Life. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome and My Long Journey Home were performed acoustic. There was an unusually long delay at the end of My Sweet One, with some of the band members "snoring." Antelope was unfinished. Amazing Grace was performed without microphones. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

This show is one of my favorites.  The Fixin to Die gets me every single time.  Yay fall 94!

WhatstheUse?

Such a good show. This was one that I was introduced to super early on in my phish listening and has always stuck with me.

The antelope is so good and I totally agree, the Fixin to die gets me everytime.
Bring in the dude!

mopper_smurf

It's been awhile since I listened to that show. Boy, they were having fun that night.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

QuotePHISH, THURSDAY 12/01/1994
SALEM ARMORY
Salem, OR
Soundcheck: Buffalo Bill > Makisupa Policeman > Funky Bitch

SET 1: Sample in a Jar, Uncle Pen, Fast Enough for You > Maze, Guyute, I Didn't Know, Split Open and Melt, Sweet Adeline[1]

SET 2: Peaches en Regalia > Mound, Tweezer -> Big Black Furry Creature from Mars[2] -> Makisupa Policeman -> NICU -> Tweezer -> Jesus Just Left Chicago > Harry Hood, Golgi Apparatus

ENCORE: Sleeping Monkey > Tweezer Reprise

[1] Without microphones.
[2] Shorter version without all verses.

Sweet Adeline was performed without microphones. Tweezer included Buffalo Bill and Norwegian Wood teases. BBFCFM was a shorter version without all verses. Makisupa included a Bloody Well Right (Supertramp) quote from Fish. Trey teased Divided in Hood. The soundcheck's Makisupa was performed as an instrumental. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

Another monster of a 2nd set!  Tweezer begins as I type this.  Let's go!

justjezmund

This show has had so many spins for me over the years. Absolute heat top to bottom.

Buffalo Budd

Who doesn't love a Peaches set 2 opener?
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

justjezmund

QuoteRECREATION HALL, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA-DAVIS
Davis, CA
Soundcheck: Caravan, Julius, Funky Bitch, Magilla, Gumbo

SET 1: Poor Heart > Also Sprach Zarathustra, Sparkle > Simple -> It's Ice > The Lizards, Stash, The Squirming Coil

SET 2: Chalk Dust Torture > David Bowie[1], Buried Alive[1] > Julius[1], The Landlady[1], Gumbo[1] > Caravan[1], Suzy Greenberg[1]

ENCORE: Cavern[1]

[1] Cosmic Country Horns.

The Cosmic Country Horns came in at the end of Bowie and played until the end of the show. Horns players included Dave Grippo on alto sax and percussion, Carl Gerhard on trumpet, Michael Ray on trumpet, James Harvey on trombone, and Peter Apfelbaum on baritone sax, tenor sax and flute. This version of Gumbo appears on A Live One. The opening act was Dave Matthews Band.

Live one gumbo today. Bowie throws some smoke and you can't go wrong with country horns. This show should be takes about more than it is.

anthrax

^^ another great one!  but a totally different show than the previous two

anthrax

QuotePHISH, SATURDAY 12/03/1994
EVENT CENTER
San Jose, CA
Soundcheck: Frankenstein

SET 1: Wilson > Divided Sky, Guelah Papyrus, Scent of a Mule, Run Like an Antelope, Guyute, Sample in a Jar

SET 2: Frankenstein[1], Suzy Greenberg[1] > Buried Alive[1], Gumbo[1], Slave to the Traffic Light[1], The Landlady[1], Hold Your Head Up[1] > Touch Me[1] > Hold Your Head Up[1], Alumni Blues Jam[1] > Julius[1], Cavern[1]

ENCORE: Golgi Apparatus

[1] Cosmic Country Horns.

Suzy contained a Hey Bulldog tease from Page. The entire second set featured the Cosmic Country Horns. The horns included Dave Grippo on alto sax and percussion, Carl Gerhard on trumpet, Michael Ray on trumpet, James Harvey on trombone, and Peter Apfelbaum on baritone, tenor sax and flute. The Alumni jam included an introduction of the horn section. The appearance of the horns led to the first Touch Me since July 27, 1991 (397 shows). The soundcheck's Frankenstein also included the Cosmic Country Horns. The opening act was Dave Matthews Band.

Another horn show!  Touch Me bustout!!

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

anthrax

QuotePHISH, SUNDAY 12/04/1994
ACKER GYM, CHICO STATE UNIVERSITY
Chico, CA
Soundcheck: Foreplay/Long Time

SET 1: Runaway Jim, Foam[1], If I Could, Rift > Tweezer, Fee[2] > Mound, Sweet Adeline[3], Possum[4]

SET 2: Maze, Bouncing Around the Room, Reba[5], Axilla (Part II) > You Enjoy Myself, Hold Your Head Up > Purple Rain > Hold Your Head Up, Good Times Bad Times

ENCORE: Sleeping Monkey > Rocky Top

[1] Silent jam.
[2] Trey sang verses through megaphone.
[3] Without amplification.
[4] All Fall Down signal.
[5] No whistling.

Foam included a silent jam. Sweet Adeline was performed without microphones. Trey sang the verses of Fee through a megaphone. Possum included an All Fall Down signal and a Lizards tease from Trey. Reba did not contain the whistling ending. The soundcheck's Foreplay/Long Time was performed acoustic.

anthrax

^^^ the peak on this possum is insane!