News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

New LP Archival Release - September 29, 1999

Started by mistercharlie, March 16, 2022, 06:04:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khalpin

Quote from: Marmar on March 19, 2022, 10:09:35 AM1) there are better shows that could have been chosen....
2) only highlight of this show is the 2001....
3) they screwed the pooch with the mixdown....it sounds SO sterile...and pegged.

C'mon LivePhish, you can do better than this.
Hate to bitch about a LP release but we already had the 2001 from the Bonnaroo FTA.

anthrax

I hadn't relistened to this one a ton of times, so listening last night really brought me back.  I did a nice little 6 show run during the fall.  This show and Minneapolis were the standouts.  Memphis was just a uniquely wild show.  It had a little bit of everything.  The Jim>Free was a killer way to start.  The Stash was good, but abruptly ended with Can't Turn You Loose.  Who knows why that song randomly popped out when it did in the late 90s.  The 2001 was great obviously, but more importantly it set the table for a raging Dwd.  The birthday sing along was a pretty big failure which made the push to make it right in Vegas in 2000 even stronger.  I had no clue what the answer to the contest was.  At the time, I wondered how the hell they were able to flawlessly go in and out of Mikes, but the long delay before Mike's seems to suggest they were setting it up beforehand.

Fun fact - this was the 3rd of 4 Catapults I would see in a 6 month span!

https://imgur.com/a/jdd5hFW 
Looked over the old stubs, too.  Back in the days when mail orders weren't all fancy pollocks, but they were nearly all 100 levels or floors if you got your money order sent on the first day.

GBL

10/01-02 were my 1st and 2nd, love that Minneapolis show, Iowa not so much
If this is love, I'm never going home..

mistercharlie

QuoteI hadn't relistened to this one a ton of times, so listening last night really brought me back.  I did a nice little 6 show run during the fall.  This show and Minneapolis were the standouts.  Memphis was just a uniquely wild show.  It had a little bit of everything.  The Jim>Free was a killer way to start.  The Stash was good, but abruptly ended with Can't Turn You Loose.  Who knows why that song randomly popped out when it did in the late 90s.  The 2001 was great obviously, but more importantly it set the table for a raging Dwd.  The birthday sing along was a pretty big failure which made the push to make it right in Vegas in 2000 even stronger.  I had no clue what the answer to the contest was.  At the time, I wondered how the hell they were able to flawlessly go in and out of Mikes, but the long delay before Mike's seems to suggest they were setting it up beforehand.

Fun fact - this was the 3rd of 4 Catapults I would see in a 6 month span!

https://imgur.com/a/jdd5hFW 
Looked over the old stubs, too.  Back in the days when mail orders weren't all fancy pollocks, but they were nearly all 100 levels or floors if you got your money order sent on the first day.
I was at Rosemont and Redbird too. Rosemont was better, though nothing super special about those shows, other than the Rosemkng encore.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Caravan2001

Quote from: Marmar on March 19, 2022, 10:09:35 AM1) there are better shows that could have been chosen....
2) only highlight of this show is the 2001....
3) they screwed the pooch with the mixdown....it sounds SO sterile...and pegged.

C'mon LivePhish, you can do better than this.

This is a terrible take!  Pretty much the whole show is masterfully played and it is one of the best sounding archival releases they have had.  It sounds crystal clear.  I was cranking the towers on full volume last night and was blown away.  Played a couple of the circulating sources afterwards and it's just no comparison even though I generally prefer AUDs.  I think this is the best release, playing and sounding, that they have had in a minute.  The Free, Stash and the Taste are killer and I don't even like those songs.

Hicks

Yeah lol at complaining about this, great release. 

Really nice to hear them play Taste back when they knew what to do with it. 
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

August

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 19, 2022, 07:09:24 AMSo, have we ever figured out what the 'Die Die' effect Trey (or possibly Page) is playing with is? I've only heard it on this Fall/Winter '99 tour. Mostly in this show and a Bowie from December (I think 12/10/99, maybe?) are the places it sticks out in my head. Every time I hear it I wonder what it is.

Its from that computer game DOOM from back then

Caravan2001

Quote from: August on March 19, 2022, 05:49:50 PM
Quote from: mistercharlie on March 19, 2022, 07:09:24 AMSo, have we ever figured out what the 'Die Die' effect Trey (or possibly Page) is playing with is? I've only heard it on this Fall/Winter '99 tour. Mostly in this show and a Bowie from December (I think 12/10/99, maybe?) are the places it sticks out in my head. Every time I hear it I wonder what it is.

Nice one....

WhatstheUse?

Bring in the dude!

mistercharlie

"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 19, 2022, 07:02:38 PM
Quote from: August on March 19, 2022, 05:49:50 PM

Trey had it sampled on his little keyboard. He used it on the Acoustic/Electric tour that Spring as well.

Nice one....

mistercharlie

He had it on Tab tour #1? I don't think he used it at The Murat. That was the one of those shows I caught.

susep

Would love to see 7/15/99 get released.  The YEM and SOAM are available as Live Bait fodder, one of many excellent shows from a great year.   

mistercharlie

QuoteWould love to see 7/15/99 get released.  The YEM and SOAM are available as Live Bait fodder, one of many excellent shows from a great year. 
Dare I say it... my favorite YEM ever! That shit gets me moving.

rowjimmy

Quote from: mistercharlie on March 20, 2022, 01:23:55 PMHe had it on Tab tour #1? I don't think he used it at The Murat. That was the one of those shows I caught.

He definitely used it at 9:30 Club, later in the tour.