News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

NEW Phish Archival Box Set - Gorge 98!

Started by PIE-GUY, October 21, 2022, 03:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattstick

Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 21, 2022, 08:56:56 PMThat's awesome. This 2001 and Reba deserve a quality release.

Also, people still buy CD's?

I bet this sells well, the 1.0 Phish fans are getting into their Hifi golden years.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: mattstick on October 22, 2022, 09:41:16 AM
Quote from: WhatstheUse? on October 21, 2022, 08:56:56 PMThat's awesome. This 2001 and Reba deserve a quality release.

Also, people still buy CD's?

I bet this sells well, the 1.0 Phish fans are getting into their Hifi golden years. 

Hey Kettle, you want some pot? 
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mattstick

I really cranked the YouTube sample just now and it sounds nice. 

Per usual the high hats and cymbals are compressed like crazy and sound like bad keyboard samples, but the bottom end and stereo balance/mix are great.

PIE-GUY

Preorder is up - I hate that Phish puts these out in the world with no booklet or liner-notes of any kind. Just another cardboard box with cardstock cd slips. Why not put in the extra effort? 

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/PHCD268/the-gorge-98-5cd-box-set
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

nab

Quote from: mattstick on October 23, 2022, 11:45:36 AMI really cranked the YouTube sample just now and it sounds nice. 

Per usual the high hats and cymbals are compressed like crazy and sound like bad keyboard samples, but the bottom end and stereo balance/mix are great.

Man this is disappointing. One of the real nice things about the Dead's output is there are a lot high quality copies of original source material in circulation, so it's real easy to pick out post-processing for digital fuckery from inherent flaws in the source material. This isn't as easy with Phish stuff cause there aren't as many SBD copies floating around, especially after 94. You get an odd show here and there, and although people are generally good about tracing their sources, it's usually just a chain of equipment, which honestly raises a lot of questions if you think about it too much (how old was the DAT copy when it was transferred to a digital file? Was it flat? Was the equipment up to spec? etc)   

Given the cross cutting of eras and this compression, it's most likely that post-processing is responsible. But why? It's not like people like you or I can't hear it. The reviews are out there; it's not like anyone who is handling the mastering for release has ignorance as an excuse.

I just can't shake that "this is mastered for ear buds cause they don't care" isn't the whole story.     

rowjimmy

I honestly think the band members that actually listen to these things (someone does) think it sounds fine.

I doubt they're listening as closely or critically or with as good a setup as Matt.

They're definitely not in the mastering studio listening on monitors.

Hicks

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 25, 2022, 08:28:17 AMI honestly think the band members that actually listen to these things (someone does) think it sounds fine.

I doubt they're listening as closely or critically or with as good a setup as Matt.

I would hope somebody is listening in the studio in addition to Dr. Deaf before the masters are approved. 

You'd think they have some sort of quality control, but then we find out Garry is only doing one mix for the PA and LP and who knows what's going on with their operation.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

rowjimmy

Quote from: Hicks on October 25, 2022, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on October 25, 2022, 08:28:17 AMI honestly think the band members that actually listen to these things (someone does) think it sounds fine.

I would hope somebody is listening in the studio in addition to Dr. Deaf before the masters are approved. 

You'd think they have some sort of quality control, but then we find out Garry is only doing one mix for the PA and LP and who knows what's going on with their operation.

Not doing us any good, tbh.

mopper_smurf

Quote from: PIE-GUY on October 24, 2022, 04:13:37 PMPreorder is up - I hate that Phish puts these out in the world with no booklet or liner-notes of any kind. Just another cardboard box with cardstock cd slips. Why not put in the extra effort?

https://drygoods.phish.com/product/PHCD268/the-gorge-98-5cd-box-set

Even including a Helping Friendly Booklet is too much to ask, I'm afraid.
Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

nab

Quote from: rowjimmy on October 25, 2022, 01:09:07 PM
Quote from: Hicks on October 25, 2022, 01:06:34 PM

Not doing us any good, tbh.

Both of these things can happen at the same time.

But not a reason to not ask questions.

ETA: I'm not sure what Matt's setup is, but I am sure you don't need it, or a studio monitor setup, to hear it.

jedifunk

this reba is sick! my favorite of all time
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

Superfreakie

I concur with RJ. I've known a fair amount of musicians over the years and it is surprising how few of them are audiophiles. I remember a Stereophile article (or some other audiophile publication) that went out and asked a host of musicians what their home playback systems were and it was embarrassing - I think they may have gone so far as introducing some to HIFI home audio and they were blown away by the quality. I do know Bill Frisell is an Audeze headphone head (paid with free samples I am sure). Al Di Meola has a sick system. Miles Davis also had an amazing playback system in the day.

That said:

Quote from: nab on October 25, 2022, 12:27:34 AMI just can't shake that "this is mastered for ear buds cause they don't care" isn't the whole story.     

I do believe this is the biggest factor. I continue to read articles from sound engineers processing modern music who state they are indeed mixing for earbuds and their limitations. You want to hear great processing, move over to jazz or classical music. Anything else, it's a crapshoot, although it would be impossible to know if that is due to the musicians' demands or a sound producer ignoring the masses playback systems.

As for Gary and this singular Phish mix, my biggest gripe of late is I'm getting "listening fatigue" at some shows (high mids - 3K FR range). Also, the lower/sub bass has definitely been toned down, possibly contributing to the mid/treble fatigue.
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

rowjimmy

Phish would not be in this list but, many working musicians can't afford a high-end playback system at home.

VA $l!m

Quote from: jedifunk on October 27, 2022, 04:07:01 AMthis reba is sick! my favorite of all time
yeah its a fav of mine for sure
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

WhatstheUse?

Quote from: VA $l!m on October 27, 2022, 10:26:08 AM
Quote from: jedifunk on October 27, 2022, 04:07:01 AMthis reba is sick! my favorite of all time
yeah its a fav of mine for sure

Easily one of the most unique versions ever. I don't know that I'm revisited it in the past 5+ years..

Back in college this was a go-to jam late into the night/morning after when coming down from a trip.
Bring in the dude!