News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Flood Recovery Benefit Shows, Saratoga Springs, New York on August 25 + 26, 2023

Started by rowjimmy, July 25, 2023, 02:18:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VA $l!m

Quote from: pcr3 on August 27, 2023, 12:27:17 AMWow

I only livestreamed from Everything's Right on, but what I saw was no less than incredible. I need more Derek in my life.
lol, for real!
i screwed up and watched the first set through pillow jets then signed out for the night :(

Going to rewatch ASAP. that setlist is awesome!

I got to catch the First Tube on youtube and thought it might be one of the coolest First Tube ive heard, but maybe i was just caught up in it.  :willynilly:
-I'm still walkin', so i'm sure that I can dance-

anthrax

anyone know if legit tapers recorded the trey & page sets?  there are plenty of crappy youtubes and some audio from phones, but i'd love decent audio.  also, if you find a good video of the entire sets, please link it here.

mistercharlie

I've been on the look-out. They don't appear to have been streamed.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
Quote from: kellerb on August 02, 2009, 02:29:05 AM
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

Buffalo Budd

I just listened to the Trucks' sit in and it is just phenomenal.
I couldn't help but think of what it would be like to have an extra guitarist of his caliber in the band at this point in their career. I know we're lucky to have the same 4 dudes playing great music after 40 years but damn, that sounded good to my ears.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

sls.stormyrider

Another amazing collaboration with Derek and Trey
Derek added new Life Beyond a Dream, and then some.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

PIE-GUY

I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

VA $l!m

I said Sand before when i meant First Tube lol..

Anyway, finally finished the whole Trucks sit in, WOW.

complete FIRE!  :willynilly:  :pbjtime:

Trey and Derek's styles mesh so friggin well i can't even tell when one stops playing and the other starts!

mistercharlie

Quote from: VA $l!m on August 30, 2023, 01:27:27 PMI said Sand before when i meant First Tube lol..

Anyway, finally finished the whole Trucks sit in, WOW.

complete FIRE!  :willynilly:  :pbjtime:

Trey and Derek's styles mesh so friggin well i can't even tell when one stops playing and the other starts!
My first listen was while cutting the grass on Sunday and I couldn't distinguish Derek from Trey. Watching them play made it much easier to figure out who was doing what.
"I used to be 'with it', but then they changed what 'it' was and now what I'm with isn't 'it' and what's 'it' seems weird and scary to me"
You haven't lived until you've had a robot shart in your ear and followed along in the live setlist thread while it happens. 

rowjimmy

I dunno. I can discern them pretty plainly but, in recent years, Trey's tone has definitely moved more towards the meatier tube tones that Derek has. Their touch and phrasing are also quite different to my ears (leaving aside the fact that Derek doesn't use a pick) but they complemented one another really well. Derek came to Phish and fit in beautifully.

This is to be expected, of course, because he is awesome.

Buffalo Budd

Quote from: rowjimmy on August 30, 2023, 01:36:37 PMI dunno. I can discern them pretty plainly but, in recent years, Trey's tone has definitely moved more towards the meatier tube tones that Derek has. Their touch and phrasing are also quite different to my ears (leaving aside the fact that Derek doesn't use a pick) but they complemented one another really well. Derek came to Phish and fit in beautifully.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I can tell which guitarist is playing almost every note.
My point was simply that he complimented the band and song selection perfectly.
Everything is connected, because it's all being created by this one consciousness. And we are tiny reflections of the mind that is creating the universe.

mistercharlie

It could've been the grass cutting that distracted me. I played the show again today while working and could hear them separately.

VA $l!m

Quote from: Buffalo Budd on August 30, 2023, 02:01:36 PM
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 30, 2023, 01:36:37 PMI dunno. I can discern them pretty plainly but, in recent years, Trey's tone has definitely moved more towards the meatier tube tones that Derek has. Their touch and phrasing are also quite different to my ears (leaving aside the fact that Derek doesn't use a pick) but they complemented one another really well. Derek came to Phish and fit in beautifully.

Yeah, I was gonna say, I can tell which guitarist is playing almost every note.
My point was simply that he complimented the band and song selection perfectly.
This is what i was basically saying as well.
It was fucking beautiful imo.
They were effortlessly flowing off and in and out of one another.. let alone Mike and the rest of them.
I swear Gordo and Fish were grinning ear to ear the entire time

PIE-GUY

I'm pretty sure I could pick either of their tones out of a lineup. Trey, Derek, Jerry, Carlos, Knopfler, Willie, Jorma, Neil Young, Leo Nocenteli, probably even Herring. These are tones I could pick out blind, I think.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

sunrisevt

Studying the Trey-Carlos twin leads from Stowe 1992 was such a trip for my 20-year old self. And here we are, still at it.
Quote from: Eleanor MarsailI love you, daddy. Actually, I love all the people. Even the ones who I don't know their name.

shoreline99

Time to throw on Layla Revisited in the headphones when I mow the lawn later
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.