News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

2023-12-30 - MSG, New York, NY - Post-Show Discussion and Review

Started by anthrax, December 31, 2023, 08:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthrax

SATURDAY 12/30/2023
MADISON SQUARE GARDEN
New York, NY
SET 1: Backwards Down the Number Line, Wolfman's Brother, Turtle in the Clouds, Undermind, Kill Devil Falls, Fuego -> Train Song, It's Ice > Life Saving Gun

SET 2: The Well -> Tweezer -> Twist > Piper -> Golden Age -> Also Sprach Zarathustra > Sigma Oasis > David Bowie

ENCORE: Slave to the Traffic Light > More

Trey teased The Well in Twist.

anthrax

wolfman's was good.  fuego and life saving gun really took off in the first set.  i had high hopes for the second set, but i thought it kinda fell flat.  tweezer didn't achieve any sort of a liftoff.  will need to relisten today.

anthrax

anyone else notice the low end (mike and the bass drum) pumping through the webcasts like never before?  it's pretty great!

Hicks

Quote from: anthrax on December 31, 2023, 10:50:14 AManyone else notice the low end (mike and the bass drum) pumping through the webcasts like never before?  it's pretty great!

Yep webcast is sounding great again with prominent Mike and less harsh/shrill tone from Trey, hallelujah! 

Agree, first set was definitely much more energetic and interesting than the second set last night.
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

GBL

1st set > 2nd set by miles and miles

it wasn't bad, it just wasn't good
If this is love, I'm never going home..

rowjimmy

Wolfman's grooved. it was a slow version but thus enabled the groove and microjam situation. KDF is a straight up ripper here. the Fuego is you best dose of type-II jamming on the night. LSG fucking rips as well. Unexpected heights here.

Set two has everything you want to hear in a Phish show but almost none of the depth you'd expect from such a setlist. It's a little like they were either looking for the right vehicle for the night or trying to knock out some must-plays before the more scripted 12/31 show. I didn't dislike this set. In fact it held my focus as I kept waiting for them to step off into the deep end. Oh well.
David Bowie continues the recent trend of well executed, mildly jammed versions. No type-II action to speak of but it's right there. If they drop this early in a set in 2024, buckle the fuck up.

Caravan2001

2nd set looks great on paper. In person, I was happy to be there with my friends but will likely never replay. Nothing ever got there, except maybe LSG which I dug.