News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Last Complete Show Listened To?

Started by August, April 06, 2006, 03:55:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caravan2001

Quote from: jam> on February 18, 2020, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: Superfreakie on February 18, 2020, 01:41:15 AM
Quote from: Buffalo Budd on February 12, 2020, 12:17:43 PM
PHISH
07/12/1999
TWEETER CENTER
Mansfield, MA

Soundcheck: My Best Friend's Girlfriend, Centerfold, Dream On, Rift

SET 1: Foreplay/Long Time[1] > Down with Disease, Back on the Train, What's the Use?, Split Open and Melt, Water in the Sky > Character Zero

SET 2: Twist > The Moma Dance > Makisupa Policeman > David Bowie, The Lizards, Guyute

ENCORE: Rock and Roll

Foreplay/Long Time was played for the first time since December 9, 1994 (310 shows) and was the first time Phish had ever performed it electric. Guyute was followed by band introductions, including Mike as "Michael Jordan" and "Air Jordan."

One of the better performances of a cover, Trey even 'pretty much' nails the vocals.

I LOVED this two night stand. Had uncovered pavs one night and lawns the next I believe. The second night Wolfmans is one of the best ever played. Out of this world deep deep phunk.

I was there. I have a soft spot for this Bowie that has a really nice quiet passage. I can see why it gets overlooked, but it's really great.

I went the second night and thought it was great.  Wish I went to this, I've still never seen Foreplay/Long Time

mattstick

7/13/99 was the night Brad skipped the show to go the MLB all star game, so they played a killer setlist.

My buddy got shut out on 7/12 but only got in for the encore, which at the time was rather amusing to me.

I stayed with my cousin for a few days before and then met my friends who were on tour by just going to the lot.  No cellphones, no pagers, no email, just showed up and found them.  To this day that seems like a small miracle.

PIE-GUY

Quote from: Caravan2001 on March 07, 2020, 06:57:51 PM
I've still never seen Foreplay/Long Time

Jesus - I saw 6 of the 17 played.
I've been coming to where I am from the get go
Find that I can groove with the beat when I let go
So put your worries on hold
Get up and groove with the rhythm in your soul

mopper_smurf

Here Comes The Flood - a weblog about music
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

khalpin

QuoteTangerine Dream
12/13/1974
Reims Cathedral
Reims, France

1. Improv Part One
2. Improv Part Two

I remember seeing the bootleg CD Tangerine Dream: Live Improvised in the pages of Goldmine magazine back in the pre-internet days and never was able to get my hands on it.  I never did put two and two together to realize this was the same show until now.  I've been on a big TD kick as of late.  Too bad I didn't have $250 to fork over for the 16CD box set. 

mopper_smurf

Dauid Lynch-ian retro-pop from the Netherlands. I love this band. They were supposed to play SXSW this year. Fuck corona.
Twitter | FB | Instagram

As a roadie for the Jimi Hendrix Experience, I learned that I should give up being a guitar player. - Lemmy

anthrax

We've all heard this second set a million times, but I really enjoyed watching it play out.  I have a whole new appreciation for what took place that night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lgRiuoXfzY&feature=youtu.be

QuotePHISH, TUESDAY 11/14/1995
UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA ARENA
Orlando, FL
Soundcheck: Billy Breathes Intro, Billy Breathes, Poor Heart (slow version), Funky Bitch

SET 1: Chalk Dust Torture, Foam, Billy Breathes, Divided Sky, Esther > Free, Julius, I'm Blue, I'm Lonesome[1], Cavern

SET 2: Maze, Gumbo, Stash -> Manteca -> Stash -> Dog Faced Boy[2] -> Stash, Strange Design, You Enjoy Myself -> Immigrant Song Jam -> You Enjoy Myself

ENCORE: The Wedge, Rocky Top

[1] Acoustic.
[2] Performed over a different arrangement than usual.

Trey teased Fire (The Ohio Players) in Julius. I'm Blue I'm Lonesome was performed acoustic. This fantastic Stash included 25 or 6 to 4, Esther, and Ya Mar teases. Dog Faced Boy was performed over a different arrangement than usual. YEM included Low Rider teases. This show is available as an archival release on LivePhish.com.

mopper_smurf

Twitter | FB | Instagram

anthrax

QuotePHISH, WEDNESDAY 07/23/1997
LAKEWOOD AMPHITHEATRE
Atlanta, GA
SET 1: Julius, Dirt, NICU > Dogs Stole Things > Ginseng Sullivan, Water in the Sky, Limb By Limb, Split Open and Melt, Billy Breathes, Possum
SET 2: Punch You in the Eye, Ghost > Sample in a Jar, You Enjoy Myself[1] -> Rocky Mountain Way Jam > Chalk Dust Torture
ENCORE: Frankenstein
[1] No vocal jam.
Ghost included Spooky and On Your Way Down teases. YEM included a Jeopardy! theme tease, a very unusual SOAMule-like jam segment, and did not have a vocal jam. Chalk Dust included Rocky Mountain Way teases.

I caught the last 9 shows of summer 97 and when I got home my focus was on securing the tapes of the shows I had attended.  Now I realize there are a few shows at the beginning of this tour I have never heard including this one.  This 3rd show of the summer tour starts with an insane Julius!  Also, the YEM must be heard as it's such a unique version.

ph92

Quote from: anthrax on May 21, 2020, 04:06:53 PM
QuotePHISH, WEDNESDAY 07/23/1997
LAKEWOOD AMPHITHEATRE
Atlanta, GA
SET 1: Julius, Dirt, NICU > Dogs Stole Things > Ginseng Sullivan, Water in the Sky, Limb By Limb, Split Open and Melt, Billy Breathes, Possum
SET 2: Punch You in the Eye, Ghost > Sample in a Jar, You Enjoy Myself[1] -> Rocky Mountain Way Jam > Chalk Dust Torture
ENCORE: Frankenstein
[1] No vocal jam.
Ghost included Spooky and On Your Way Down teases. YEM included a Jeopardy! theme tease, a very unusual SOAMule-like jam segment, and did not have a vocal jam. Chalk Dust included Rocky Mountain Way teases.

I caught the last 9 shows of summer 97 and when I got home my focus was on securing the tapes of the shows I had attended.  Now I realize there are a few shows at the beginning of this tour I have never heard including this one.  This 3rd show of the summer tour starts with an insane Julius!  Also, the YEM must be heard as it's such a unique version.
Love that SOAM! So funky, would it be one of the first funk SOAMs they've played? I really can only think of 97, and a few 98 melts that are funk.

Working my way through Summer 97 as well, I've made into August now.

Random highlights for me:
7/23 Ghost, YEM>CDT segment, iirc the LxL gets pretty spicy for an early version, I may be thinking of a different version though.
7/25 Deep wolfmans to get things going set 1, Gin->Makisupa->AC/DC Bag gets very exploritory, CDT follows suit.
7/26 Probably my favorite show I've listened to so far. The whole 2nd set just crushes. YEM>Izabella has a nice shift out of the vocal jam, mellow (aka my employees didn't tell me to turn it off).
7/29 THIS FUCKING ANTELOPE. This show has some good segments, but overall one of the weaker shows so far. They didn't push anything all that deep in comparison to other shows so far.
7/30 I'm sure we all know this one well at this point, it being in the Ventura box. Stash pretty solid, nice for the first set, next up Weigh which is one of my favorite "rare" songs. And I'm sure we all remember the Free>Bowie>Cities>Bowie segment, just effortless patient playing all through this show.
7/31 This maze is a rager! Ghost was a little flubby iirc, could maybe be a different one, lots of Ghosts so far this tour. Get a Glide, Saw it Again bustouts into a nice long patient YEM plinko funk segment

Will be working my way through the Gorge tomorrow, these were in heavy rotation when I was back in high school. Had these and Went on CD's back before I went full archivist and downloaded everything.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

jam>

Don't snooze on the 7/29 Gumbo. That show was my first 97 show. Saw Phoenix up through the Gorge that summer.

Superfreakie

Quote from: ph92 on May 22, 2020, 02:28:17 AM
7/31 This maze is a rager! Ghost was a little flubby iirc, could maybe be a different one, lots of Ghosts so far this tour. Get a Glide, Saw it Again bustouts into a nice long patient YEM plinko funk segment

::cough:: Jim ::cough::

you sure you listened to the second set?
Que te vaya bien, que te vaya bien, Te quiero más que las palabras pueden decir.

ph92

Quote from: jam> on June 05, 2020, 09:17:57 PM
Don't snooze on the 7/29 Gumbo. That show was my first 97 show. Saw Phoenix up through the Gorge that summer.

Quote from: Superfreakie on June 05, 2020, 10:11:16 PM
Quote from: ph92 on May 22, 2020, 02:28:17 AM

::cough:: Jim ::cough::

you sure you listened to the second set?
how actively I listened is a good question lol. I'll have to go back and give some of these a more concerted listen to some of these.

These were just what came to mind when I glanced at the setlists again.
Make America Melt Again!

Quote from: runawayjimbo on July 25, 2017, 11:10:15 PM
FUCK YEAH TREY. FUCK YEAH

mopper_smurf

Ritchie Blackmore''s last show with Deep Purple's Mark III line-up.
Twitter | FB | Instagram