News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W01: 08-07-1993 Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Started by jedifunk, May 16, 2006, 09:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sls.stormyrider

I think you guys hit the nail right on the head.
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

whatapiper

i havnt checked this thread in a couple days so im not sure if this has been said in relation to the latest argument.  like everyone has said, 93 was the heat in terms of starting to break the rules, rock, tight composed sections, etc.  i do enjoy the 12 song 2nd sets from time to time, with some nice segues(tmwsiy>sloth) but most of the time im left wanting more from a particular song.   where could it have gone?  regardless, there have been sacrifices along the way, i saw 31 shows in 97-98 and i remember wishing that the setlists had the selection of a show from 93-94.  those are the years that got me into phish, and yet its ironic that all i seem to listen to is 97-98 and (gasp) post hiatus.   early phish is what got me hooked, 97 and 98 is what kept me there for life.

cant wait for the next show!!! any hints on what were gonna be listening to?
We are all and we are all we are
Far flung bits of Sun and bits of Stars
From the  ocean from the land from the
beginning to end
Backwards forwards back toward
we belong

birdman

Quote from: whatapiper on May 20, 2006, 05:19:30 AM
i havnt checked this thread in a couple days so im not sure if this has been said in relation to the latest argument.  like everyone has said, 93 was the heat in terms of starting to break the rules, rock, tight composed sections, etc.  i do enjoy the 12 song 2nd sets from time to time, with some nice segues(tmwsiy>sloth) but most of the time im left wanting more from a particular song.   where could it have gone?  regardless, there have been sacrifices along the way, i saw 31 shows in 97-98 and i remember wishing that the setlists had the selection of a show from 93-94.  those are the years that got me into phish, and yet its ironic that all i seem to listen to is 97-98 and (gasp) post hiatus.   early phish is what got me hooked, 97 and 98 is what kept me there for life.

cant wait for the next show!!! any hints on what were gonna be listening to?
Yeah...Phish :roll:
Its going to be a fall 94 or 95 :mrgreen:
Paug FTMFW!

thelot

Quote from: birdman on May 19, 2006, 08:42:53 PM
  Its all about viewing the show in its phishtorical context. Juxtaposing  it with everything that came after takes away from its importance.  But compare this show to what came before...the segues and raritites really make this show stand out from those in the past..thats what makes the show important.
   While everyones opinions are valid, we should try to remember and place ourselves in the era during which the shows are played when making our observations. Thats not to say we shouldnt compare and contrast new/old, but it makes it a more "interesting" listen when listened to with "time machine" ears...does that even make sense?

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Well put birdman! :-)

whatapiper

wow, good quote, agreed!  from now on the time phactory will ensue
beginning to end
we belong

whatapiper

so is the next up at midnight tonight, cant wait!!
beginning to end
we belong

August

Quote from: whatapiper on May 21, 2006, 06:53:47 PM
so is the next up at midnight tonight, cant wait!!

yep.
maybe not midnight  :-) but tomorrow.
the birdman is gonna get his pick.

this is definitely something i am going to look forward to each week!
i think the first week was  success.
a

birdman

Sent my pick to jedi..
  can you feel the electricity in the air???
Paug FTMFW!

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: birdman on May 21, 2006, 06:56:27 PM
Sent my pick to jedi..

Oh hell yeah.  This is like the night before Phil Collins released "No Jacket Required".

Hicks

Quote from: fauxpaxfauxreal on May 21, 2006, 08:00:54 PM
Quote from: birdman on May 21, 2006, 06:56:27 PM
Sent my pick to jedi..

Oh hell yeah.  This is like the night before Phil Collins released "No Jacket Required".

:lol:

"I can feel it calling in the air tonight!!"
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

susep

Nice discussions.

I like the idea of phishtorical context.  In '93 Phish was a good band, their shit was tight however they were not yet champion improvisers.  '93 Phish is like '68 Dead.

jedifunk

should i lock the thread at the end of the week?  or just let it go?
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

jonyem

Just let it go, if some folks join in on this after the first one is locked, they won't get to add their two cents worth. I'm sure these will peter out when there's nothing left to say.

Hicks

I won't let it die, I'll just keep coming back here periodically to rant about how this is

THE BEST SHOW ARRRVAR!!     

And lamenting being the holder of an upopular opinion with stuff like: 

DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE??!!!!        :-D
Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

fauxpaxfauxreal

Quote from: ikki on May 23, 2006, 07:55:32 PM
I won't let it die, I'll just keep coming back here periodically to rant about how this is

THE BEST SHOW ARRRVAR!!     

And lamenting being the holder of an upopular opinion with stuff like: 

DOESN'T ANYBODY CARE??!!!!        :-D

Seriously, the day before is better.