News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

R1/W01: 08-07-1993 Darien Lake Performing Arts Center, Darien Center, NY

Started by jedifunk, May 16, 2006, 09:06:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdman

Brought out the XLII and threw it in the deck....listened for about two minutes before removing the cassette and throwing it in the trash.   It was like listening through a tin can. Thank God for digital. :-D
Paug FTMFW!

jedifunk

so aug... i'm gonna see if perhaps we can get a child board within the general topic just for this... that way each week can be its own thread, and it wont be too difficult to wade through all the info.
Much Respect
(the other resident mac guy) [macbook air]
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

August

jedifunk

got it!  if you didnt already notice!

so each week whoever is picking the show should start a new thread saying "week x: x-xx-xx said venue" and that way everything can stay organized better!
Much Respect
"Good Funk, real funk is not played by four white guys from Vermont.. If anything, you could call what we're doing cow funk or something.."
- Trey Anastasio

birdman

Nice job Jedi...iIt would have been a mass cluster otherwise.
Paug FTMFW!

jedifunk

Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

jedifunk

aug- whats up with the 3 minute antelope?  and the 10 min HYHU?
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

Quote from: jedifunk on May 17, 2006, 09:41:07 PM
aug- whats up with the 3 minute antelope?  and the 10 min HYHU?

is that how it is?
a

August

you guys might want to change that.... :oops:
a

jedifunk

no biggie... its actually like this

purple rain > hyhu
antelope
crowd noise
encores
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

August

good thing all the track numbers are alright.
i just ripped it and didnt verify the info the came up.....

next time it wont happen to me.
i refuse to be the victim again.
a

jedifunk

ok here we go...

first and foremost i've gotta say that this source sounds incredible!  if everything sounded this good, i'd love every show from any era...

ok now for the show:
llama, bouncin, poor heart... i was still awestruck by the sound quality, but that just added to the show... all three are super tight and the interplay is great.

stash->makisupa: sweet!  i liked trey's playing as it was distinctly stash, but just enough off center to be interesting... nice buildup before the return to the main theme, and then a decent segue into makisupa... great version of maki as well.  i liked how they took it out to play a little...  probably the highlight of the show for me.

reba->maze: the composed section of reba was spot on, and i really enjoyed how well they were pronuciating the lyrics... guess i've never really tried to hear the lyrics before, but i enjoy it...  as for the jam?  ehh, i thought they were a bit to quick to move away from the beginning mellow part of the jam... it started to build to the climax too early.  but once it got cookin, it was on!  i dont think theres another song in their catalog that can soar as high!  maze, nice addition of the whistling in the intro.  not a big maze fan, doesnt really do much for me, and this was only a so-so version.

forbins->mockingbird, cavern: fun ending to a tight set... classic trey babble.

2nd set: gonna do it all as one because nothing really jumped out and grabbed me.  i did take notice during the "jam" segment of mcgrupps... otherwise, a fairly typical set.  it had great flow and moved along crisply, but again, nothing really grabbed me.

overall, a great show, and i would agree with the earlier assesments that it showcases them breaking out of being just another band, and becoming phish.

i'd give it a B+, if it ends up staying on my HD it probably wont get too much airplay... sound was great, and the playing was tight, but i guess i keep expecting more from these Aug 93s that everyone is soo high on.
Much Respect
- Trey Anastasio

Hicks

Ok set II, did I mention this was one of my favorite shows of all time?  In light of that I'll give a full song by song break down, sorry if this gets really long! :wink:

2001 opener is standard, goes into. . .

Mike's, now I think it was Gumbo who pointed out that 2001>Mike's to open a second set is always a very good omen, and he's completely right, 8-2-93, 12-30-93, 6-22-94, and of course the daddy of them all 7-17-98 (as far as the actual 2001>Mike's goes)  these are all outstanding sets, and lo and behold this one is no exception.

So yeah, Mike's, if you haven't listened to this yet, or if you need to listen to it again (I listened to it twice today myself) turn the bass up!! When the Stranglehold section hits Gordo is dropping some serious bombs! They play through where Hydrogen or later Simple would normally come in and there is some intense grooving around the 5 or 6 minute mark with Page especially hitting the organ HARD right here.  Then Trey goes to bizarro disonant land, which I guess isn't for everybody, but I think the weirdness before the "Irish" diddy is great, if only for the fact that this is such a weird atypical jam to my ears.  The actual diddy is not bad, they are so synched up at the beginning I feel this must be a variation of something they practiced. Am I imagining a Hydrogen tease from Mike at the end of it, or is Trey playing All Things Reconsidered?  I hear something here.  But for me the real money shot is next, it starts when Trey finds that eerie high pitched line, then Fish comes in with the woodblocks, this is some great "spooky" Phish which leads right into Kung. . .

Which is great but then . .  .

Back into Mike's where they DESTROY EVERYTHING!   It doesn't get much hotter than this folks.

OK, let's take stock we just heard a Mike's>Kung>Mike's with language teases, and a one of a kind "Irish" jam in there too, without a doubt a top version of the song for me. 

The ending matches nicely with TMWSIY, which although it's always the same, I have to say that I think it stands as an example of some of Trey's best composition ever, it's absolutely gorgeous.  And how could you get sick of a song they so rarely played in the later days.  Perfectly placed in the set after the intense opening sequence, and of course into . . .

Avenu, what can I say, I'm a Jew.  :-D  I always love to hear this as it makes me think of going to temple, being with my family and a whole lot of other stuff.  Is that a L'Chaim! shout out by Trey before Mike's solo, I can't really tell what he's saying.  This goes into . . .

Sloth, which is a smooth segue as has been noted, but I actually think the Kung>Mike's is more dynamic.  Great tune, I think it should have stuck around in later years, what the hell does Trey say at the end anyway?

Sparkle is Sparkle, I'm not gonna complain about 3 and a half minutes in the middle of a set like this.

MFMF, man, this was the first song I ever saw Phish perform, so yeah it's a favorite, especially with the acoustic intro, and then we get kicked some weird bonus outro jam during which Page actually comes up with the most interesting melodic idea in the middle section, as noted Page is amazing throughout this entire show.  Which creates yet another tight little segue into. . .

McGrupp, I love this tune, it's a rarity that I actually got to see, and I think this version is notable.  Again some great playing by Page here and the jam at the end with Fish on the washboard  has a cool Latin feel to it, and am I nuts or are there I Can't Turn You Loose teases by both Mike and Page at the around 8:00 minute mark?  Check it out, I'm 99% sure of this one. 

Purple Rain is Purple Rain,

Antelope, I almost was gonna say this is typical 93 hotness, but toward the end they really get it cookin' and the pre-Rye Rye Rocco segment is a little more stretched out than normal, definitely an above average 'Lope.

Look, this set was genetically engineered in a lab to be my favorite set, the outstanding Mike's, Avenu, my first song MFMF, and rarities I saw in person like McGrupp and La Grange, it all just comes together for me, if I was stuck on a desert island with just this show, I'd be alright I think.  So yeah I give it an A+.

Sorry about the length, I'll probably have a whole lot less to say next week.   :mrgreen:   

Quote from: Trey Anastasio
But, I don't think our fans do happily lap it up, I think they go online and talk about how it was a bad show.

sls.stormyrider

You're right about the L'chaim
(side note - my sister's rabbi is a guitar player and an old deadhead. I was at a musical service last year and him and the mandolin player teased friend of the devil before a spiritual song. He's gotta hear this :-))
I need to listen again for the I can't turn you loose tease

Has anybody else heard the Stairway to Heaven line in the Maze guitar solo?
"toss away stuff you don't need in the end
but keep what's important, and know who's your friend"
"It's a 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."

gainesvillegreen

Quote from: jedifunk on May 17, 2006, 10:47:20 PM
reba->maze: the composed section of reba was spot on, and i really enjoyed how well they were pronuciating the lyrics... guess i've never really tried to hear the lyrics before, but i enjoy it...  as for the jam?  ehh, i thought they were a bit to quick to move away from the beginning mellow part of the jam... it started to build to the climax too early.  but once it got cookin, it was on!  i dont think theres another song in their catalog that can soar as high! 

I couldn't have said it better myself!   :wink: