News:

Welcome to week4paug.net 2.1 - same as it ever was! Most features have been restored, but please keep us posted on ANY issues you may be having HERE:  https://week4paug.net/index.php/topic,23937

Main Menu

Recipes!

Started by shoreline99, May 29, 2006, 05:09:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McGrupp

So you puked all over some carbs and protein and called it food.

Nice.
Just two whiskies, officer.

Quote from: kellerb on November 30, 2010, 10:40:51 PM
I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 22, 2011, 02:02:59 PM

Nice.
You're confusing what happens after I sleep with your mom, and what I do in the kitchen.  Easy enough mistake as both spaces have enough room to fit multiple pieces of furniture and toys in. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Quote from: sophist on December 22, 2011, 02:28:40 PM

Nice.
You're confusing what happens after I sleep with your mom, and what I do in the kitchen.  Easy enough mistake as both spaces have enough room to fit multiple pieces of furniture and toys in.

26 minutes to reply... you're getting slower...

I'm not sure if I followed this thread correctly, but what guys are saying is that Dave Thomas sold crack in inner-city DC in the mid-80's, right?

sophist

Quote from: McGrupp on December 22, 2011, 02:31:38 PM
Quote from: sophist on December 22, 2011, 02:28:40 PM

Nice.

26 minutes to reply... you're getting slower...
It's the lack of drugs, I swear. 
Can we talk about the Dead?  I'd love to talk about the fucking Grateful Dead, for once, can we please discuss the Grateful FUCKING Dead!?!?!?!

McGrupp

Last night was my first experience with cooking a whole chicken.

I stuffed that shit with a quartered lemon, a quartered orange, a bunch of sage, thyme, and garlic.

Dried the skin, smothered it with butter, then seasoned it with good ol salt and pepper. Lots.

It was so good. Barnesy came over and ate on it a bit, he can attest to the goodness.

Today, I'm attempting to make a broth/stock with the leftover carcass and bones. Any tips are welcome, as I have no idea wtf I'm doing.

mattstick

Fill a pot with some veggies and an onion, water and the carcass and bones.  Boil for 3-5 hours, stirring occasionally.

Strain broth and toss the rest.  Use the broth as a base for soup within a few days.

McGrupp

Quote from: mattstick on January 07, 2012, 12:08:45 PM

Fill a pot with some veggies and an onion, water and the carcass and bones.  Boil for 3-5 hours, stirring occasionally.

Strain broth and toss the rest.  Use the broth as a base for soup within a few days.

What I did, basically, was put the carcass and bones in a stock pot with a water/store-bought chicken broth mixture. I also dumped all of the juices from the pan that I cooked the chicken in, minus the stuffing. This includes the oil runoff, some garlic, and some skin. I let it sit refrigerated overnight.

I've been boiling it for about 45 min now. I'm not sure if I put too much water in it, but I tasted it and it's just kinda oily and doesn't have a whole lot of flavor.

You think boiling it for a few more hours will help? Adding salt too? I'll throw an onion in there as well.

The mixture as it is right now is pretty dark, much darker than most "chicken broth" I've seen/eaten.

birdman

Ha. I was just about to post the same thing after reading his recipe. And you can use the broth in any recipe where chicken stock is needed.
Paug FTMFW!

mattstick

Quote from: McGrupp on January 07, 2012, 12:24:16 PM

What I did, basically, was put the carcass and bones in a stock pot with a water/store-bought chicken broth mixture. I also dumped all of the juices from the pan that I cooked the chicken in, minus the stuffing. This includes the oil runoff, some garlic, and some skin. I let it sit refrigerated overnight.

I've been boiling it for about 45 min now. I'm not sure if I put too much water in it, but I tasted it and it's just kinda oily and doesn't have a whole lot of flavor.

You think boiling it for a few more hours will help? Adding salt too? I'll throw an onion in there as well.

The mixture as it is right now is pretty dark, much darker than most "chicken broth" I've seen/eaten.

I think the problem is that you added your stuff to a broth mixture when all you needed was water.  I'd boil it down and keep adding water to dilute.  You shouldn't need salt.

It's a pretty in-exact science though, if it doesn't work you're not out very much.

Igbo

IMO, I wouldn't let it boil. Just a very low simmer barely bubbling. When you boil bones it tends to cloud your stock due to the heat releasing albumen (protein funk) out of the bones and carcass.

Igbo

It's also most likely darker and oiler than normal due to pouring the pan drippings in your pot.

McGrupp

Quote from: Igbo on January 07, 2012, 01:16:02 PM
It's also most likely darker and oiler than normal due to pouring the pan drippings in your pot.

Yep, I gathered this. Not too worried about the color. Plus, the pan drippings are where all the good flavor's at, so I'm okay with that decision.

As for the boiling, I didn't actually refrigerate it 'per se'... instead I just put it outside overnight, so I boiled it for about 45-60 min just to be sure there weren't any nasty bacteria in it.

Been simmering for a good while now.

I just tasted it again and it's getting pretty flavorful. Mattstick was right, I prob shouldn't have added salt, bc it's getting increasingly saltier...

But an old trick my mom taught me is that if you have a dish that's too salty, if you stick a potato into it for a while it soaks up all the salt. Apples do the same thing, but leave a bit of a sweeter taste, obviously.

I'll be fuckin with this most of the afternoon. I'll let you guys know how it turns out! thanks for the tips.

McGrupp

added in a whole onion, 4 carrots, a bunch of celery hearts, some sage, thyme, and a jalapeno.

let's see how this works out.

McGrupp

Okay, this shit is good. I strained everything out, and gave it another taste. Bit too salty, so I threw some potatoes in there. Gonna let it sit for an hour or so, then refrigerate it to let all the fat rise to the top. Once I skim that off, it should be good to go. Not super pretty, but delish nonetheless!

shoreline99

Quote from: McGrupp on January 07, 2012, 03:17:05 PM
Okay, this shit is good. I strained everything out, and gave it another taste. Bit too salty, so I threw some potatoes in there. Gonna let it sit for an hour or so, then refrigerate it to let all the fat rise to the top. Once I skim that off, it should be good to go. Not super pretty, but delish nonetheless!

We just made this the other night, except with homemade turkey broth that my wife made after Christmas that we had been saving. It was awesome. We used spinach instead of the kale, as it's what we had on hand. I also skipped the blending of the soup.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/30-minute-tuscan-white-bean-soup-recipe.html

QuoteIngredients:

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
    1 medium onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
    2 medium carrots, finely diced (about 1 cup)
    2 ribs celery, finely diced (about 1 cup)
    4 cloves garlic, minced on a microplane grater
    1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
    1 quart homemade or low-sodium canned chicken broth
    2 (15-ounce) cans white beans (cannellini or great northern), with their liquid
    4 6-inch sprigs rosemary, leaves finely chopped and stems reserved
    1 (3-4 inch) chunk parmesan rind (optional)
    2 bay leaves
    3 to 4 cups roughly chopped kale or swiss chard leaves
    Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Parmigiano-Reggiano for serving

1.  Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring frequently, until softened but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and dried red pepper flakes and cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add chicken broth, beans and their liquid, rosemary stems, parmesan rind, and bay leaves. Increase heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce to a bare simmer, add kale, cover and cook for 15 minutes.

2.  Discard the bay leaves and rosemary stems. Use a hand blender to roughly puree part of the beans until desired consistency is reached. Alternatively, transfer 2 cups of soup to a blender or food processor and process until smooth (start on low speed and increase to high to prevent blender blow-out). Return to the soup and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3.  Ladle into bowls, sprinkle with reserved chopped rosemary leaves, drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and a grating of Parmigiano-Reggiano, and serve with crusty toasted bread.
Quote from: rowjimmy on August 25, 2015, 11:19:15 AM
You're entitled to your opinion but I'm going to laugh at it.